Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 11

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, we completely have the right to complain about the size of our thighs.

But over time, I think that talk truly damages and limits us and those around us. People post about postponing "life" because they feel fat. People don't fully enjoy life because they think their ass is big. We sit here paranoid about things no one else notices and let it limit us.

I loved the Nia Shanks post and am trying to make that my philosophy. I still TO THIS DAY see myself as a fat girl. My clothes say Size 10 (must be vanity size). I look good in photos (that camera makes me look thin except 2 years ago it made me look fat). A guy friend who hadn't seen me in months proclaimed "damn, you lost a ton of weight" (he must be lying). I go to CrossFit and work hard and sweat and have made friends (no one wants to see me in shorts, they must all hate me for wearing shorts).

I am blessed that Primal ended my messed up eating, but it pains me to still see people struggle and perpetuate that cycle and I'm always on the edge of falling back into that trap. The other day, I did a killer WOD that was about 30 minutes of hard effort and got mad at myself for eating a *&^&*^*I banana because I felt like hell after the workout and needed food and had a banana on hand. I am working on the mentality that I will love the body that working out hard and eating right will give me, no matter what that body looks like..... because I KNOW deep inside that even I strip life down to eggwhites, chicken breast and spinach with two workouts a day, I will STILL be unhappy with something I can't fix and that is just STUPID because exactly no one else cares.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    And... soap box for a second, this kind of talk weakens us as women. Look around you and do you look at women and have any idea of their dress size, waist measurement or weight? Obviously, the very underweight and overweight stand out, but for the most part, we don't notice people based on weight or measurements. My coworker is tall with broad shoulders. My boss looks athletic. My friend Tammy is petite. My neighbor is short and curvy.

If you knew no one really noticed 10 0r 15 lbs, would you bother stressing over it?
    I agree with a lot of this, magnolia. In fact, the few friends and coworkers that I've shared my distress with all pretty much agree that I don't look much different, because besides the bloated belly, the rest of me pretty much DOES look the same, and I just don't wear form fitting clothes anymore, so it's not noticeable.
    I bother stressing over the extra 15 pounds because I'm uncomfortable in my clothes and in my skin. It's great that my friends think I don't look like I've gained much weight, but it doesn't make me feel any better when my waist band is digging into my stomach. But that's just me personally.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Thanks for this! I loved this article, as well as a whole bunch of other ones that it led me to. Nia's got some great stuff!!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    Thanks for this! I loved this article, as well as a whole bunch of other ones that it led me to. Nia's got some great stuff!!
    HPG, sorry I didn't reply to your reply - I'm packing for vacation and don't have the head to give it the attention I'd like.

HOWEVER, I'm really happy that you've gotten something out of the thread THere was a beautiful thread going about two months ago, which kind of changed my life: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83345.html I highly recommend reading it.

I also read this great article on Matt Stone's website, by his girlfriend, which is along the same lines: The Best Way To Minimize Trouble Spots – 180 Degree Health

You know what I've realised? If I stop trying to wear clothes I wore when I was 21 (now 31) my life might be a lot easier!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You know what I've realised? If I stop trying to wear clothes I wore when I was 21 (now 31) my life might be a lot easier!
    Wearing clothes that fit properly makes a huge difference in body image, I've found. I can't wear Juniors clothing anymore, they just don't fit my hips and butt properly. When I shrink out of or grow out of clothes, I always feel so icky wearing them and it makes me feel bad about myself. Silly, but the solution is relatively simple!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    THere was a beautiful thread going about two months ago, which kind of changed my life: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83345.html I highly recommend reading it.
    You know, I've re-read that article about four times since I first read it and started that thread, and every time it just makes sense. I'm kicking myself for not tearing it out of the magazine, but I guess I can link back to it until they take it down. I'm really glad it meant something for someone else, too

Vacation, WOOT! How many more sleeps, YB??

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    You know, I've re-read that article about four times since I first read it and started that thread, and every time it just makes sense. I'm kicking myself for not tearing it out of the magazine, but I guess I can link back to it until they take it down. I'm really glad it meant something for someone else, too

Vacation, WOOT! How many more sleeps, YB??
    That thread was a huge shift for me, and for a lot of other people, and I'm so grateful you started it <3 Particularly coming off the back of EAT, it was particularly potent.

You know if you want to have a copy of the article you can do screen grabs of the page! Not sure how to do it on windows - on macs it's shift, cmd,4.

One more sleep!!! Flying to NYC tomorrow, then CA on Monday Cannot wait. I love America and Americans!

Going to take advantage of the outlet malls to buy some bigger clothes too, lol
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    That thread was a huge shift for me, and for a lot of other people, and I'm so grateful you started it <3 Particularly coming off the back of EAT, it was particularly potent.

You know if you want to have a copy of the article you can do screen grabs of the page! Not sure how to do it on windows - on macs it's shift, cmd,4.

One more sleep!!! Flying to NYC tomorrow, then CA on Monday Cannot wait. I love America and Americans!

Going to take advantage of the outlet malls to buy some bigger clothes too, lol
    I just went to the article on the site and there's an option to email it, so I did that, just waiting on it to see if it actually worked.

The weekend in NYC? Good times. It's on my bucket list, but everyone I know who's ever been has the best time. And CA is lovely, right from end to end

If you think America and Americans are great, you REALLY need to come check out Canada...and not just Toronto

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    ^Emailing articles just emails the link to it

I hadn't read through that thread before. It just inspired me to drop some obsessive thoughts. I was planning on doing a "Wedding30" aka. crack down on my diet and cut out the junk (keep doing my primal thing) for the 30 days up to my wedding. I just don't want to be bloated, but I'm more concerned about FEELING bloated, not look bloated. So I will eat how I normally do and we'll save some cash, but screw vanity. I just want to feel good and be happy
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    When I shrink out of or grow out of clothes, I always feel so icky wearing them and it makes me feel bad about myself. Silly, but the solution is relatively simple!
    I am coming to this realization also. DH hates it when I wear the big baggy stuff, and I am just not really sure how things are suppose to fit anymore. But I read something one time that stuck with me. Someone was wanting to know how to get rid of a muffin top, and someone replied, buy jeans that fit properly.

I haven't read those threads listed above, but I will now. I am finally coming to a place of self-acceptance. Even when I was young and buff and in great shape, I always wanted to be better. Always compared myself to others, mostly air-brushed girls and was just never happy. I even went to a doctor for lipo and he said there is nothing to lipo. I should have gone to a shrink instead I guess. Maybe I would not have gone from one extreme to the other.

Anyways, here I am 2 decades later. Still only half way to my goal but I know how far I have come and I am happy with myself. My clothes arent all big & baggy & black anymore. I can wear shorts, or even my swimsuit in public and not be mortified, even though I know I am far from where I need to be.

Anyways, this thread helped me to realize that I am okay. And I am okay with my process & progress. That doesnt mean that I don't want to do what I can to change what I can - I still want to tweak and help things along if there is something in my power to do, but I am still okay in my own skin in the process of cocoon to butterfly.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast