Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanity and weight loss page 10

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    First of all, I want to say that I love this thread. I read through all of it at the end of my work day yesterday and had so much that I wanted to respond with but it had to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You know, I envy people for whom weight loss is as simple as: go on a restrictive diet => lose weight. I'm currently at a point where I want to lose weight, but I'm recovering from an ED and I have no idea how to progress from here.
    I feel your pain. That used to be me, but now the only way that I can lose weight/bloat is by completely fasting. Obviously that's not something that is maintainable! I also have my run ins with BED. It first hit me about 10 years ago, and then I somehow sent it into remission by doing a 7 day juice fast. It cropped back up at the same time that my mysterious bloat did about a year and a half ago. I haven't had a REALLY bad binge for awhile now, so I'm happy about that. However, like you, I haven't lost any weight despite the fact that I'm not binge-ing (I really don't know the proper way to spell that word!) anymore.

So I want to lose weight, but I don't know how. I'm afraid to restrict my cals cos' it always ends in disaster for me. I've considered doing a mono food diet, or trying to restrict fat, but again, any kind of restriction sends me into crazy town. I'm also not the healthiest metabolically: was diagnosed with oestrogen dominance and am borderline hypothyroid, so I'm conscious that messing with my food intake too much can exasperate these conditions.
    I know that you mentioned that you're taking progesterone to balance out your estrogen dominance. There are also some natural supplements that help to balance estrogen. Calcium d-glucarate, for one. Here's a blog post about it from Dave Asprey - 4 Reasons Bulletproof (and Paleo) People Should Take Calcium-D-Glucarate. I'm currently taking this because my labs a few months ago showed that my estrogen was high, and I have melasma, which can be caused by high estrogen. Oddly though, I have no symptoms of estrogen dominance - I've always had a very easy cycle, no PMS, etc. But calcium d-glucarate is also good for helping the liver detoxify the body, and I can use that help.
    DIM is another one.
    For the hypothyroid, how about supplementing w/some iodine? I had some hypothyroid symptoms and I started supplementing with iodine last year. My temps were always in the 96s and 97s, now it's 98 when I wake up and around 98.4 in the evening. I used to always be freezing at work and had a small space heater under my desk as well as a jacket. I haven't turned on the heater in a really long time, and I can comfortably wear sleeveless shirts. I had to start VERY slowly w/iodine, because I was more toxic than I knew. But once I got the dosage right and began increasing it slowly and incrementally, my mood and energy improved dramatically.

I'm physically active: walk, sprint, do yoga and advanced body weight exercises. I've just started taking Progesterone for the Oestrogen Dom. I feel happier, more energetic, and haven't binged or restricted in 4 months (longest I've gone without doing it in 13 years). I've lost weight just doing this, and I might still losing weight, but it's at a glacial pace.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is huge. Even if the weight loss is at a glacial pace, at least it's happening. I finally got tired of my scale dictating my mood and have hidden it away. I've just gotten back into the gym for weight training. I took way too long off after knee surgery, even though there were plenty of other exercises I could do, but my mindset was in the shitter. I still can't do things like squats and deadlifts, but I'm focusing on what I can do instead, which is a lot! I'm going to take my measurements and focus on those changes, and on the changes in my strength, rather than the number on the scale.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    To answer the title: You have to sacrifice one to obtain the other. No need to thank me.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Back when I was 20, I was emotionally eating all kinds of bad-for-me foods that lead to some major hormonal problems. I gained a lot of weight (going from a size 4/6 to a size 14).

I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor, and there was no real treatment or cure, only that I would be overweight for the rest of my life and likely also have fertility issues down the track.

Accepting this diagnosis was actually helpful. I was just going to have to accept that this was the case, and go about my life anyway. I decided to focus on "health" which was mostly about how I felt all around.

I decided to eat whole foods and went vegan at the time. I decided to take up swimming again, something that i really enjoyed. I was still doing my yoga, and enjoying it. So, i just did that.

About 4 months after starting, i was putting on my clothes one day and they fell off. I'd hardly noticed how much smaller i was. I found a draw-string skirt and a less baggy sweater and went to the pool as I did every day. I got there and decided to weigh myself: 130 lbs. I was lower than my "start weight" at 135! I was completely gobsmacked.

I went and got new clothes -- size 4/6. I was back to normal. And I've been there ever-since (except pregnancy and post).

While I agree that going slowly in your weight loss is fine, I suggest just focusing on something else entirely and not worrying about weight or body fat percentage at all. Just focus on how you define "health" and don't worry about anything else.

You might discover that you lose weight, or you might just discover that you are great just as you are.

You can change your mind. That's probably the first place to do the work.
    I LOVE this post. The power of our mind is amazing. It's something that I've been struggling with. I've been obsessed with why my body has betrayed me and why I've been consistently gaining weight for the last year and a half no matter what I eat or how much I work out and I look like I'm perpetually 3-4 months pregnant from bloat. I've paid thousands in doctor's visits and lab work, supplements, etc., all to no avail. I've gone up 3 pants sizes and am closing in on a 4th. I went paleo/primal about 3 months after all of this started, thinking that for sure this would be my answer. But nope, it had no affect on this mysterious condition. I have to admit, I can no longer stand to read the paleo success stories. It seems like it's so effortless for everyone else.

But my mindset has recently shifted. I've decided to accept myself as I am now, and stop pining for the days of 15% body fat and being able to eat whatever I wanted and workout as hard as I wanted (I started having knee pain about 2 months after the bloat started, which ended up in arthroscopic surgery on my right knee last year, which didn't completely fix the problem and hasn't really felt right since). I can't keep wishing for the past, I can only choose to move forward. So I decided that I am going to concentrate on my health and on my happiness. I finally got back in the gym last week, and the feeling of empowerment was overwhelming. I'm going to focus on strength gains, and on doing things that make me happy. For too long now I've shied away from social gatherings and getting together w/friends because I was so unhappy in my clothes, so unhappy in my skin. No more. I'm listening to this Hay House summit right now, there are all of these self-help gurus and motivational speakers that you can listen to for free every day, and there was a great quote in one of them yesterday - You have to accept yourself before you can change. It was like a lightbulb went off.

I've had a quote by Pema Chodron taped up on my mirror for awhile now - "Nothing goes away until it teaches us what we need to know." I'm still not sure what I need to learn from this whole situation, but I'm open to finding out.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    And... soap box for a second, this kind of talk weakens us as women. Look around you and do you look at women and have any idea of their dress size, waist measurement or weight? Obviously, the very underweight and overweight stand out, but for the most part, we don't notice people based on weight or measurements. My coworker is tall with broad shoulders. My boss looks athletic. My friend Tammy is petite. My neighbor is short and curvy.

If you knew no one really noticed 10 0r 15 lbs, would you bother stressing over it?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    And... soap box for a second, this kind of talk weakens us as women. Look around you and do you look at women and have any idea of their dress size, waist measurement or weight? Obviously, the very underweight and overweight stand out, but for the most part, we don't notice people based on weight or measurements. My coworker is tall with broad shoulders. My boss looks athletic. My friend Tammy is petite. My neighbor is short and curvy.

If you knew no one really noticed 10 0r 15 lbs, would you bother stressing over it?
    You know what weakens us "as women"? Being told we're not allowed to talk about something that bothers us. Pretty much the general consensus on this thread has been sanity is more important than weight loss - why are you projecting onto it?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    You know what weakens us "as women"? Being told we're not allowed to talk about something that bothers us. Pretty much the general consensus on this thread has been sanity is more important than weight loss - why are you projecting onto it?
    I don't think that what she was saying is in opposition to that idea at all.

She's saying that 10-15 lb just doesn't matter, so don't worry about it. That's firmly in the 'sane' camp as far as I can see.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think she's saying sometimes we are our own worst critics, criticizing things that nobody else can even see. We don't love our friends and family less if they are bloated today, but we project so much hatred onto ourselves for this.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think she's saying sometimes we are our own worst critics, criticizing things that nobody else can even see. We don't love our friends and family less if they are bloated today, but we project so much hatred onto ourselves for this.
    This is so true. I don't judge another woman's worth by her appearance, and yet I so often don't extend the same understanding towards myself. I am trying to care less about the number on the scale, and more about the person inside - but after years of negative self talk and body hate, it is going to be a long process out.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I don't think that what she was saying is in opposition to that idea at all.

She's saying that 10-15 lb just doesn't matter, so don't worry about it. That's firmly in the 'sane' camp as far as I can see.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yes, I know. We're all saying the same thing. That was my point!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast