Thread: Processed Meat page

Js137 is offline Member

Processed Meat

Shop Now
    "Eating bacon, sausage, hot dogs and other processed meats can raise the risk of heart disease and diabetes, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that identifies the real bad boys of the meat counter."

"They found no higher heart or diabetes risk in people who ate only unprocessed red meats."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...e=domesticNews

So, my question is: if you are eating local, grass-fed bacon and sausage is it still bad? I absolutely love my bacon and bison sausage with breakfast, but it is local and grass-fed with something like 4 ingredients.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Js137 View Post
    So, my question is: if you are eating local, grass-fed bacon and sausage is it still bad? I absolutely love my bacon and bison sausage with breakfast, but it is local and grass-fed with something like 4 ingredients.
    Keep eating them as they're healthy for you. Correlation does not imply causation. First, many of the store-bought processed meats contain less than ideal fillers and I'm guessing that's not the case for your local source. Secondly, they didn't take into account the rest of the diet of those in both groups. People who eat a large amount of processed meats are also more likely to eat other things that are questionable for their health, i.e. processed grains, sugars, etc. which I'm assuming are the real culprits.

Js137 is offline Member
    That makes sense. I started off doing the PB 30 day challenge. Now I am over 6 weeks in and just can't find a good reason to stop! I feel great, am not starving, am eating amazing foods, and losing weight!!

I am a researcher and our controls are so much better than any available for a medical study, yet we goto great lengths to actually argue causation! Sometimes I have seen medical studies that overstate the results and other times I have seen the study actually state the results correctly and then the media got a hold of it!