Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cholesterol system map for the unscientific page

tangentrider is offline Senior Member

Question A cholesterol system map for the unscientific

Primal Fuel
    I tested my blood lipids on Saturday (5/15) and discovered all the progress I'd made in my cholesterol had been wiped away (probably by end of term school stress and it's related cheating).
    TriGly : 146
    TotCho: 329
    LDL: 260
    HDL: 46

Bloggers like Mark Sisson and Dr. Davis have laid out the relations between nutrition and blood lipids, I find text to be less helpful for me than a system or flow chart. So, I've posted my first attempt at a cholesterol system chart over on my blog (http://tinyurl.com/cholesterolsystem).

I'll post the jpeg here, but it's on my site as well.

I would love correction and extension.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    So glad vitamin D made your map It's fantastic.

Consider adding to the anti-inflammatory list that produce is anti-inflammatory. Turmeric is also anti-inflammatory enough to warrant it's own slot - above onions and ginger even.

How is your vitamin D?
    Produce intake? Keep in mind that this is produce dominated diet - not a meat dominated diet. And while there are many here who post about fat intakes at 70-85% of caloric intake, Mark keeps his at about 50%.

produce and PB
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...drZnFmNw&hl=en

Vitamin D dosing, testing, interpreting.
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    So glad vitamin D made your map It's fantastic.

Consider adding to the anti-inflammatory list that produce is anti-inflammatory. Turmeric is also anti-inflammatory enough to warrant it's own slot - above onions and ginger even.

How is your vitamin D?
    Produce intake? Keep in mind that this is produce dominated diet - not a meat dominated diet. And while there are many here who post about fat intakes at 70-85% of caloric intake, Mark keeps his at about 50%.

produce and PB
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...drZnFmNw&hl=en

Vitamin D dosing, testing, interpreting.
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en
    Thanks for the suggestions: I'll probably post a corrected version next Monday.

I don't know how I forgot tumeric (or how I've forgotten to add it to my diet).

I've not had my Vit D tested, but I have returned to taking ~5000 IU per day.

As for produce, I agree on it's importance. Before the school stress thing, I had been consuming over half the bulk of my meals in produce. While I will likely return to those numbers--or more--right now I'm in a meat and fat phase. According to Cron-o-Meter, by macros have averaged 111 g protein, 22 g carbs, and 153 g fat. I'm using this as a recovery time, maybe for a week or so (retesting lipids after the experiment), then I'll return to vege bulk.

We'll see how the numbers change.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    from nutritiondata.com
    IF (INFLAMMATION FACTOR) RATING™ The IF (Inflammation Factor) Rating™ estimates the inflammatory or anti-inflammatory potential of individual foods or combinations of foods by calculating the net effect of different nutritional factors, such as fatty acids, antioxidants, and glycemic impact.

How to interpret the values: Foods with positive IF Ratings are considered anti-inflammatory, and those with negative IF Ratings are considered inflammatory. The higher the number, the stronger the effect. The goal is to balance negative foods with positive foods so that the combined rating for all foods eaten in a single day is positive.

Dried Spices - 1 tsp - higher=more anti-inflammatory action
    Garlic 858 strongly anti-inflammatory
    Red or Cayenne Pepper 494 strongly anti-inflammatory
    Ginger 482 strongly anti-inflammatory
    Turmeric 451 strongly anti-inflammatory
    Onion 265 strongly anti-inflammatory
    Curry 119 moderately anti-inflammatory

Foods with the highest IF rating per 200 cal serving - keep in mind that with many of
    these foods you'd *never* eat 200 cals worth - adjust accordingly

maba is offline Senior Member
    Great map tangent rider! How about adding animal fats to your map? And berries to the anti-oxidant list - I know you've mentioned fruit, but some might mistake that to be high-sugar fruits like bananas and grapes. And in the Total/HDL ratio, would you add "<" in front of the numbers?

This map, along with Griff's primer, would make for an excellent resource on cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by maba View Post
    Great map tangent rider! How about adding animal fats to your map? And berries to the anti-oxidant list - I know you've mentioned fruit, but some might mistake that to be high-sugar fruits like bananas and grapes. And in the Total/HDL ratio, would you add "<" in front of the numbers?

This map, along with Griff's primer, would make for an excellent resource on cholesterol.
    Great point on animal fats and fruit. This will be added to next week's change list.

And, thanks for the back pat. :-)

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    What about seperating LDL into VLDL and HDLDL?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason VT View Post
    What about seperating LDL into VLDL and HDLDL?
    Being of the unscientific sort mentioned in the title, I'd need some references, but sure.

I've posted an update: http://www.whointheworldarewe.com/20...ces-map-v0524/ to the map. Thanks to all for the suggestions. (I'll post another thread when I have time to compile my thoughts).

alurien is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for posting this- it is really helpful for visual learners like me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast