Thread: Herb Omlette page

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member

Herb Omlette

Having just finished off a whole batch of this stuff for myself, and due to the shocking simplicity, I'm quite surprised I've not seen it mentioned before. If it has been, I think it's worth a whole new thread. The title says 'Herb Omlette', properley know as 'Kuku Sabzi', which is an Iranian traditional dish (Eaten I think at easter time, but far more in my house!) consisting of a mixture of herbs and eggs, yet cooked slower and looks like a cake when done. In Iranian/Middle eastern cooking, the flavours come from fresh ingredients, so if you do choose to make this, it's best made on the same day.
    Ingredients are:
    Coriander
    Mint
    Dill
    Spinach
    Chives
    Eggs-Enough to make the mixture a thick, sticky mess

The good thing is, proportions of herbs may vary. Use more of which ever herb you like most. If lost, just use one bunch of each.

Process:
    -Wash herbs, then remove (if you even want to) the stems.
    -Chop, or food process them to smaller pieces.
    -Empty into a large mixing bowl, and start adding eggs one by one until desired consistency is reached
    -Place in a non stick pan with a lid, and place on a low to medium heat (we have an aga, so we just put it on the 'slow one') for about 10-15 minutes, then using a clever plate technique because of the pan we have, flip it, and continue cooking until it's firm, and moist

Other sites with this may tell you to put loads of other stuff in it, feel free to look and try, but I've found it doesnt need anything else. Served as a starter, but eaten when felt like it!

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Thank you so much for this recipe! Last week I had kuku sabzi for breakfast three times!

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    haha any time of day is time for Kuku Sabzi!

vintageeats is offline Member
    LOVE kuku sabzi. Thanks for posting. Mine uses a little tomato paste for additional flavoring, and the more herbs, the better!

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good. I have a strong desire to add cheese.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Even something as easy as dried oregano or basil works well with eggs. Top with a little Parmesan. Heaven.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Adrian is offline Senior Member
    Really great recipe! Me and my dad loved it!

GiGiEats is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have always been a HUGE FAN of seasoning my eggs with paprika, parsley, cilantro, red pepper flakes & salt!! Tastes like bread, seriously!