Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crocking a brisket page

EMonger is offline Member

Crocking a brisket

Shop Now
    I have a 6lb brisket, one side fatty. My rough plan is to cut it so it fits in a slow cooker, lay some carrots, sweet potatoes, & celery down, then put the brisket, probably cut in thirds so it will fit, on top. Then I plan to set the cooker on high for a couple hours, then turn it to low for several more. I should probably add some water to cover the vegetables. I think.
    Then there is the matter of the seasoning. I'm thinking adobo, but I haven't decided yet.
    So I'm thinking the meat should be tender after that, and the vegetables soft. So then I'd kind of pull the brisket apart.
    Does this sound like a viable plan. Anything you'd do different?
    Alternately, I could put it in a big roaster at 200, vegetables on the bottom. But wouldn't they burn that way? If I do that, should I put the brisket on a rack in the roaster? It would fit in the roaster whole. And should I sprinkle the adobo or whatever else directly on the meat, or maybe melt some butter and season it with adobo and baste it?
    --

What would Andy Taylor do?

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Last time we did a brisket we used Anne Burrell's balsamic brisket recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ci./index.html and slow cooked it on low 8+ hours. It was amazing!

This summer we're going to smoke a couple of briskets. It's one of my favorite cuts of meat.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Hmmm...404 Page Not Found.
    I did a search there and found it. That looks a bit too advanced for me.
    --

Last edited by EMonger; 06-01-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    I would add some onions and garlic to the mix. And maybe rub some coarsely ground pepper into the beast before cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I would add some onions and garlic to the mix. And maybe rub some coarsely ground pepper into the beast before cooking.
    Instead of the adobo or in addition to? And would you use the slow cooker or roaster, and with or without the rack?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMonger View Post
    I have a 6lb brisket, one side fatty. My rough plan is to cut it so it fits in a slow cooker, lay some carrots, sweet potatoes, & celery down, then put the brisket, probably cut in thirds so it will fit, on top. Then I plan to set the cooker on high for a couple hours, then turn it to low for several more. I should probably add some water to cover the vegetables. I think.
    Then there is the matter of the seasoning. I'm thinking adobo, but I haven't decided yet.
    So I'm thinking the meat should be tender after that, and the vegetables soft. So then I'd kind of pull the brisket apart.
    Does this sound like a viable plan. Anything you'd do different?
    Yes, this sounds like a reasonable plan. I would not add water as the juice will run out of the meat to cook the veges. I would also leave the cooker on high, all day ie 8am to 6pm. Seasoning - you could use anything eg salt, pepper, herbs such as rosemary, thyme or mixed herbs and/or curry powder. Or you could use garlic and/or ginger and turn it into a sweetnsour with some chunks of ham and pineapple and maybe capsicum/bell pepper.

One that I often do is cut the meat into chunks, toss it in tomato paste and cumin or some other tasty spice. But the cutting does take a bit longer than just layering as you are planning to do.

Any liquid at the end can be poured off into a small pan and boiled till reduced and thickened, or just thicken with a spoonful of cornflour or some primal alternative.

Until the juice runs out of the meat, wouldn't the vegetables scorch?
    --

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I generally cook a 2.5 - 3lb brisket in the slow cooker. I slice 8 + oz of mushrooms thinly, cut little holes in the brisket and stuff with garlic cloves. Salt and pepper brisket, place the sliced mushrooms around, under and over the brisket and cook on high until the meat literally falls apart when using two forks. I think it usually cooks for about 10 hours...
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables shouldn't scorch in a slow cooker, I guess depends how high yours goes but mine is pretty slow even on high.

Metric, that sounds really good - simple too.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    It goes really well with a baked sweet potato with sour cream Super simple. Impossible to screw up. Make it on a near weekly basis. Could add some onions too.
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast