Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crocking a brisket page 2

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    the slow cooker recipe plan sounds really tasty and Id go with it. briskets very versatile and works well with many spice combos. A cup of water is more than adequate though as brisket releases a lot of water in cooking and in a slow cooker its retained unlike in roasting when it cooks off.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

EMonger is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    the slow cooker recipe plan sounds really tasty and Id go with it. briskets very versatile and works well with many spice combos. A cup of water is more than adequate though as brisket releases a lot of water in cooking and in a slow cooker its retained unlike in roasting when it cooks off.
    Would the same be true of slow roasting in an oven at about 200? Is that low enough to retain the juices & not scorch the vegetables? If I use the crockpot, I'll have to cut the brisket into 3 or maybe even 4 pieces for it to fit, while it'll fit into the roaster whole.

--

What would Andy Taylor do?

If it covered well in the oven the meat wont dry out, use foil either to cover or as a seal if your roaster has a lid.
    If you're going to be home you can check the veggies - if they start to overcook just scoop them out and put them back 1/2 before you take the roast out to heat through.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Yes. Most slow cookers I've used gt up to a pretty rapid boil, so they're putting out more than 212 to get the contents boiling. I've done pot roasts in the oven at 200 and they never really boil. They barely even simmer, but they always turn out super tender and delicious. So my vote goes to the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    If it covered well in the oven the meat wont dry out, use foil either to cover or as a seal if your roaster has a lid.
    If you're going to be home you can check the veggies - if they start to overcook just scoop them out and put them back 1/2 before you take the roast out to heat through.
    Crap. I plan to cook it while I sleep. I work nights, so the plan is to come home, throw it in the crock pot or oven and wake up to a cooked meal. So, no, I won't be awake to take out the vegetables. But they may burn even in the slow cooker according to the other answer... What if I turn the slow cooker on low? Would 8 hours on low be enough to cook & tenderize without scorching? Or would I accomplish the same in the oven if I put the vegetables on top to protect them from scorching?

--

Just leave the veggie in big pieces or whole. I don't think it will be a problem. Make sure its well sealed, 200 is a very low temp after all
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.

I'm watching YouTube videos on it now. One video said not to use any liquid (other than a couple tablespoons of Worcestershire) or vegetables, but to season with whatever you like plus the Worcestershire, double wrap it in foil, and put it on low for 8 hours. It came out with a fair amount of liquid.

Another one, here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYkP...e_gdata_player , said to use a layer of onions as a natural liner so the meat doesn't stick, add a bunch of sauces, and cook on low for 8 hours.

I think I'm suffering from information overload. So I'm still just kind of weighing options here... Season with adobo & sazon goya; a layer of onions, carrots, & celery on the bottom; some white wine and/or Worcestershire, though I don't know if they would clash with the other seasonings; on low for 8 hours. That's my working theory, though I still question if the vegetables would scorch and how the seasonings work together.

Arggghh...don't want to ruin an expensive piece of meat.

--

I honestly don't think the vegetables will scorch; there is a lot of water in brisket and its a big piece of meat,just seal it real well
    neither do I think Worcestershire is necessary, the wines not a problem add a bit, it will blend in with all the other flavours whereas Worcestershire's flavour always leaves it mark.
    Id go for your working theory with a splash of vino

Annieh is offline Senior Member

SuBee is offline Member
    You are probably cooking already, but anyway... I cook half-briskets in my crockpot all the time, cut in two pieces so they'll fit the round pot. I usually just layer it with some onion, use a little salt and pepper and turn it on low. I think it cooked in about 4 or 5 hours this last time (my crock runs pretty hot). The veggies won't scorch in the crock; the heat comes from the sides of the pot, not the bottom.

Maybe if you're worried about how you'll like it best, you could halve it. Cook half one way tonight, cook the other half a different way (or the same way, if you liked it) the next night, when you have more information. I agree, I wouldn't want to mess up 6 lbs of brisket either!

For large cuts of meat I like to keep the spicing really simple, so that as we have leftovers from it I can change it up. Also, it means I can feed some to my son one way (he likes it with applesauce) and make curry or something else for the adults.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast