Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else struggling with bread? page

maranne is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

HI all,

I have been eating too much bread/grains lately and although I am determined to cut it out again there is this little voice calling my name to it it. Ok, maybe that is a bit over dramatic, but seriously, when I get a bread craving it feels like being an addict.

I might add that I am having my period as well which seems to trigger all kinds of unhealthy food cravings in me.

Any advice?

Thanks

M x

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Kinda. My vice is really just pizza. I haven't had any in more than a month and I can't seem to find an adequate substitute for the crust. I just keep thinking about it and arguing with myself over why I need to stay away- because once I do indulge in pizza I'll go into full "carb craving" mode for a week after.

I think the longer you go fully Primal, the less you'll desire carby foods. Your period may well have some effect since your brain remembers what your habits had been during that time of the month. It may take a few months to retrain your brain to endure your period without those carbs.

Just my 2 cents.

Catalina is offline Member

Maranne. . .carbs were always my craving around my period, too. Have you tried any of the bread recipes at Elana's Pantry website? They might do the trick!

Diana, I'm sure you're way ahead of me in recipe research, but just in case. . .have you tried this cauliflower crust yet? I bookmarked it, but I haven't tried it. It LOOKS like it will work.

http://www.gofrolic.org/gofrolic/food_blog/Entries/2008/10/4_Cauliflower_Crust_Pizza%3A_All_local_and_gluten-free.html

I agree with you about the brain having knee-jerk reactions to food habits--my biggest problem times so far on PB have been when I've been upset about something. (I was always an emotional eater.)

Emmelle is offline Member

Maranne~ Bread is a huge problem for me. I love it and it hates me. Pizza is something I miss so much but I was looking for a no-wheat way before I came to PB. I have no tricks to offer. Just say no (or have some bread).

Catalina I checked out the recipe and I'm definitely going to try it!

JulieD Guest

You might also try making some different breads with coconut flour or almond flour as alternatives.

I've used a pizza crust made from cheese, eggs, and a bit of coconut flour, and it does hold up. I haven't tried the cauliflower one, but a lot of people have, and it does work!

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Sugar (bread) is as addicting as any illegal drug. Your cravings are completely normal, and can only be relieved by eliminating bread from your diet. Eliminating sugar from a diet has to be one of the more difficult addictions to kick. Beating any addiction requires great mental fortitude. However, most addictions are frowned on by mainstream America. In this instance mainstream America frowns on your attempts to kick the addiction, making the job exponentially more difficult. In my opinion the cravings for bread are the greatest proof that they don't belong in our body. Funny how the most lethal substances cause the greatest cravings from our body, while it's fairly rare for somebody to have wild cravings for plain bison or broccoli, etc.

We think there are drug problems in our country, the single greatest health risk to this country (IMHO) is shoved down our throat by the media and our own government every day. Good luck, you can kick the addiction...and like any drug, once you do you'll have no use or desire for it.

Mick Guest

[quote]

I have been eating too much bread/grains lately and although I am determined to cut it out again there is this little voice calling my name to it it.
    </blockquote>

Providing you&#39;re not actually allergic to any particular foodstuff, I&#39;d doubt you need to cut it out completely - so long as it is a natural foodstuff, not some factory-made thing, that is.

You can test that by cutting out whatever it is for a couple of weeks and then re-introducing a little, looking for symptoms.

The trouble specifically with bread (and other grains) - besides that most people eat far too much of them (which hunter-gatherers almost certainly, and luckily for them, couldn&#39;t, because they had to collect them from the wild) - is that they contain phytates and enzyme inhibitors. These interfere with digestion.

In traditional societies, they almost never ate grains (or a number of other foods) without processing them very carefully first.

How to process grains to make them more digestible - and much else besides, is covered in this excellent cookery book:

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735/

If you want to buy bread, it&#39;s probably best to stick to craft-made wholegrain sourdough bread. Sourdough bread gets a long lactic-type fermentation rather than the short alcoholic-type fermentation with yeast that cost-cutting factory bread gets. That neutralizes those nasties. Slice it, freeze it and you can take a little as and when. Perhaps limit yourself to a slice or two a day? (This is assuming you&#39;re not actually allergic to it.)

I think if people are too strict about denying themselves things they set up a kind of psychological reaction whereby they end up saying to themselves, "To hell with it all," and eating a lot of stuff they&#39;d best not eat. But good bread, long fermented bread, eaten in small amounts as part of a meal is fine and good nutrition.

Katt is offline Senior Member

I&#39;m going to try eggplant pizza sometime in the near future. As for bread... I only want it once in awhile. And it hasn&#39;t been a real draw for several months. Negative reinforcement did wonders for my desire for it.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I have good alternative for pizza:

Use a big portabello mushroom cap for the "crust." Scoop out all the gills and rinse off. Pile it with sundried tomatos, canadian bacon, and cheese. Let bake till the cheese is brown. There you go. It&#39;s delish and totally satisfies my pizza craving.

maba is offline Senior Member

Or how about Meatza instead of Pizza:

http://web.me.com/againstthegrain/Site/Meatza%21.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast