Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No period for years. Could paleo help? page 3

lizhope is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I know I can't compare my weight to my weight as a young teenager, but it is confusing as I developed PCOS (or some sort of hormonal imbalance) around this time and started to gain weight (I was a standard american diet healthy skinny mini who could eat anything and i'm now the type who gains weight by just looking at processed, sugar laden food) so I don't know what is what. I went from standard american diet to pretty much vegan diet for a year (health plummetted- not sure what caused what) to disordered eating for a few years... I also can't compare my weight to my mom as she has a totally different body, is obese (changed diet though to paleoish diet and is now slowly losing! she has PCOS and insulin resistance too) and was at least 20 lbs more than me at my age and height...

Over the years through recovery and research my diet has morphed into a what I believe is a very healthy, non dysfunctional way of eating for mental and physical health. I eat no processed food and enough fat, low carb, adequate animal protein... I realize I still may not eat enough animal fat (for MY body) maybe so I might add more of this... i just really don't want to gain weight. That is triggering as usually I work hard to keep my weight where it is. I went through a binging phase where I weighed close to 125 lbs and I always felt like a whale. Have no idea what my ideal weight is or if it relates to my hormones. To me, I always look fat and would love to be like 110 lbs but I don't know if I could do that healthily. Really I just want to be healthy. For the most part I think I am except for my hormone situation...

I am against the pill. Tried it and had bad side effects. I am holistically minded and don't want to live on medication. Plus, I really want to resolve this naturally as I want children more than anything in the world... I am trying a dietary approach and supplements and acupuncture for 3-4 months and if i don't have any type of period in that time I will begrugingly try bioidentical hormones. I really hope I can resolve this without it though...
    ~Liz

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    By all means, I'm not saying you have to live off of it. I'm thinking that if you take a few month's worth, it could kick start the cycle again. Once the cycle starts up, it would keep going, I think. I don't know. Makes sense to me.

I have heard that drinking coffee increases estrogen levels. Maybe that is a myth.

You also work out a lot, right? The extra weight could just be muscles you have now as compared to a teenager. Maybe get your body fat percentage measured, and see if it's at 10%.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    BCPS can mess with gut health, so I definitely support you in avoiding them.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizhope View Post
    Over the years through recovery and research my diet has morphed into a what I believe is a very healthy, non dysfunctional way of eating for mental and physical health. I eat no processed food and enough fat, low carb, adequate animal protein... I realize I still may not eat enough animal fat (for MY body) maybe so I might add more of this... i just really don't want to gain weight. That is triggering as usually I work hard to keep my weight where it is. I went through a binging phase where I weighed close to 125 lbs and I always felt like a whale. Have no idea what my ideal weight is or if it relates to my hormones. To me, I always look fat and would love to be like 110 lbs but I don't know if I could do that healthily. Really I just want to be healthy. For the most part I think I am except for my hormone situation...
    ~Liz
    But you have already stated, in your original post, that your period showed up during times when you increased animal fat intake. That if anything must be a very significant indicator that your body needs it in order to manage to carry out the taxing process revolving ovulation? If you went from standard -> veggie -> disordered eating, then it sounds more than possible that you've been starving yourself on the stuff for far too long.

There is tons and tons and tons of information regarding weight loss on this forum, but I think the infertility problem sound a lot more serious and that it should be your primary concern. Weight might have to be secondary for a while if you want to get your period back. Increase animal fat for a while - I can almost guarantee you that you will not gain much weight either way as long as you study up and follow the rest of the paleo diet guidelines.

At the very least, try to eat animal fat to check if this REALLY is the trigger, or if the animal fat intake just happened to be corelated to something els you were doing/eating at the time. Yo might want to start a diet and exercise journal.

Smile

Well hello everyone... it's been a while! I wanted to update you on my situation. After a summer that was crazy and I was in the hospital for a severe kidney infection, a few months ago I decided I had to work on my hormones. I would go all out and add more fat for 6 months to see if that was the issue and if not I'd go to an endocrinologist. Well... I found a great endocrinologist (referred by a friend), made an appt and then boom, got my first normal period in years 2 weeks ago (not sure if I should still keep the endo appointment)! Lol I never ever thought I'd be so happy to have cramps... So I'm loving my coconut oil and fats these days. It's sort of upsetting to me that I'm a bit over 120 lbs now, but my body seems to like to be there. I suppose I'm just not a waif. I feel so vibrant and energetic. I seem to get my period back whenever I get to about this weight and eat plenty of fats. Maybe I just messed up my body from years of disordered eating. I hope I can get them to come regularly. I'm very committed to doing this naturally so I'm sure I'll figure this out, but I just wanted to let you all know that I think I'm on the right track and give you ladies hope who might be struggling with hormone issues. I'll keep you all updated.

gergirl Guest
    That sounds great, good for you!
    I'm on the pill...otherwise I think I would't see aunt irma...but I raised my fat intake (but still am a veggie), too and got over some health problems at this years beginning. Besides other factors, essential fats were missing my doctor said. I don't know wether everything would be right without the pill but the other effects seem to show that more fat seems to work...but I gained a little, too and am around the same weight now as you are! That makes me a liitle grumpy from time to time but then I have to make myself see that some things changed to the better.
    So, let's stick to the right fats shouldn't we?!!?
    Last edited by gergirl; 11-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.

I just want to say... since I know amenorrhea seems to be such a widespread issue (dare I say) in women with restrictive eating including paleo, I just want to give you all hope. I got my second period, 25 day cycle! 4 days ago. This is after not having periods for years. I just increased my fats and am eating paleo, but really upped the fats and am trusting my body. I am amazed that it works and gave me 2 normal periods in a row after not having any for years! I am well aware that different things work for different women but if you are struggling with amenorrhea please consider upping the fats. You just might be surprised
    Liz Hope

On a high fat paleo diet for my hormone imbalance

Read my ramblings here: http://naturalpcoshealing.blogspot.com... hope it helps someone

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    So glad that is the case.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that's amazing! Good for you. I hope you can heal all the effects of PCOS.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    So glad that is the case.
    Zoebird, I have a weird question for you... Did you used to belong to a vegetarian website, veggie boards.com years ago? There was a woman who posted there back when I was a vegetarian named Zoebird. I remember she answered a few of my desperate posts when my hormones started going array. I was hopejoy. Just curious! It's interesting how a restrictive vegan diet triggered these years of hormonal chaos and a high fat diet seems to be healing them. If you are the Zoebird from veggieboards I'd love to hear your story about your journey to paleo and how you feel as a veggie compared to paleo.
    Last edited by lizhope; 12-20-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    Liz Hope

On a high fat paleo diet for my hormone imbalance

Read my ramblings here: http://naturalpcoshealing.blogspot.com... hope it helps someone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123