Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No period for years. Could paleo help? page 2

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [QUOTE=PrimalFreedom;1209408]Optimum Fertility ~ Nutrition - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind
    dragon fly...thank you.

Listen to this:
    at 18 years old (off at college): stopped getting my period for 5 months, university clinic put me on birth control
    at 26 years old: off birth control to start family...no period
    26-29 years: fertility treatments
    30: adopted first son
    32: back on fertility .. no period
    34: adopted 2nd son...
    ...currently 36 trying desperately to figure this out...still no period!??!?!?[/

Find a naturopath or contact me and we can have a preliminary chat to see if I can help you via nutrition coaching.

MeandI is offline Junior Member
    I have PCOS and was diagnosed 10 years ago and I have a 7 year old daugther. Over the last 7 years my period have been irregular, maybe 1-3 times a year.
    It was 7 months ago last time, I started with Primal this monday and 2 Days after I got my period. I couldnīt believe it! So I hope that it will come more regular now!
    I also have noticed that when I eat B12 supplement, I get it more frequent!

Hope Primal workes for you! I hope that we will get a sibling soon!

PrimalFreedom is offline Senior Member
    Oh I am sooooo praying for you what do you feel like was the biggest switch/elimination/addition you made going primal?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I am not a doctor, but one thing my doctor has told me is that the female body will not menstruate if there is less than 10% body fat. 5'3" and 115 pounds, I don't know for sure how to find exact body fat measurement, but it sounds possible you just don't have enough fat on you. A lot of what you're seeing on your belly could be bloating, or untoned muscle. On paleo you by no means have to have coconut oil if that concerns you, there are other fatty oils you could use. It also sounds like you might not be getting enough carbs; I don't know if you eat tubors or a lot of fruit, but it sounds to me like your body is saying "I am starving, I could not possibly sustain a pregnancy, therefore I will not ovulate."
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    To the OP, I would recommend taking a break from the exercise "addict" part. Try to take it more easier on your overall system. There is great hope for you in regards to fertility because you said your periods stopped at 15, yet you have had some irregular cycles in recent time.

If you had zero cycles for 8 years straight, that is cause for larger concern. Try eat more fish, and you may be able to tolerate farm raised organic eggs (yolks).

wiltondeportes Guest
    Acupuncture is quackery

lizhope is offline Junior Member
    wow thanks you all! I have had bloodwork and get tested every 6 months or so. My levels are pretty status quo and are not that off. I have high testosterone, but it's gotten better over the years... and my estrogen is low- almost menopausal level... and never high enough to indicate ovulation. I am just so frustrated because I live a healthy lifestyle, and this has gone on for so long. I don't want to increase my dietary fat because then I obsess on fat if I gain weight. Just weighed myself this morning. I"m 120 actually. I have meat on me (it's all in my stomach, i have muscular legs, skinny arms and very small boobs). Sigh. I don't quite know whats wrong with me... I don't think it's a body fat issue because when I was like 13-15 I had periods every month. I ate like crap, total SAD and I was also like barely 100 lbs. I think my metabolism changed when my hormones got aray... but I'm also alot older and have completely different body type. It's funny how I eat so healthy now compared to then, but I'm so much less healthy and am heavier too... It's very discouraging.
    And, no, I'm not trying to conceive right now, but I hope to in a few years and I don't know how it's possible if i never ovulate.
    Thanks ladies!!

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    What kind of exercise are you doing?

I have always had a thing about my weight - numbers seemed important.

Since joining CrossFit (x3 a week) I'm finding that though my numbers are not going down that quickly my body is changing rapidly.
    I'm, as I told them at The Box when I emailed and inquired about the whole CrossFit thing, 52, fat, grossly out of shape and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.
    I can not tell you what a difference CrossFit is making!

If your exercise is focused on cardio (running, stair climber, etc) I highly encourage you to think about what the others have said and what I just posted - step away from the cardio and start some lifting!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I have PCOS. I never lost my period entirely, and I did become massively overweight. My period was very irregular... but anyway, after I took up paleo my period is showing up every month. I hardly ever have a skip anymore. So yes, paleo should be able to help with your period. If coconut oil doesn't work for you, try red palm oil maybe? I think it's rather unpleasant to eat by itself but fine to cook things with.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizhope View Post
    wow thanks you all! I have had bloodwork and get tested every 6 months or so. My levels are pretty status quo and are not that off. I have high testosterone, but it's gotten better over the years... and my estrogen is low- almost menopausal level... and never high enough to indicate ovulation. I am just so frustrated because I live a healthy lifestyle, and this has gone on for so long. I don't want to increase my dietary fat because then I obsess on fat if I gain weight. Just weighed myself this morning. I"m 120 actually. I have meat on me (it's all in my stomach, i have muscular legs, skinny arms and very small boobs). Sigh. I don't quite know whats wrong with me... I don't think it's a body fat issue because when I was like 13-15 I had periods every month. I ate like crap, total SAD and I was also like barely 100 lbs. I think my metabolism changed when my hormones got aray... but I'm also alot older and have completely different body type. It's funny how I eat so healthy now compared to then, but I'm so much less healthy and am heavier too... It's very discouraging.
    And, no, I'm not trying to conceive right now, but I hope to in a few years and I don't know how it's possible if i never ovulate.
    Thanks ladies!!
    Okay, this could be an obvious avenue, but have you tried birth control pills? I am on estrogen only BC pills, which work with my body to give me more estrogen then the normal levels, that way my body thinks I'm pregnant and I don't ovulate (because you produce more estrogen during pregnancy). Maybe if you are not producing enough estrogen to ovulate, BC pills can give you enough to start up your cycle?

Again, I'm not a doctor, but that logic does make sense to me. You could also try eating how you did back then, for a month, then see if it's really diet-related.

As for weighing more now, 13 isn't a good indicator of what you should/would weigh. When you were 13 you were still a child, and probably still had some of the child-like body shape going on. When I was 13 I weighed 120 pounds (I was, and still am 5'9") and ate like crapola, yet wore the same dress size and everything. I was just shaped differently, like a child. Now I think I have bulked up some more with muscles, and also larger chest area. So please don't compare yourself to 13, it's just not a good comparison. Compare yourself to your mom when she was your age, maybe?
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast