Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my diet and why i'm doing it page 3

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    I've had a few people ask about my weight loss and how I've done it but just as important is why I've done it this way.

First off I'm a diabetic and its been a bitch to control my blood sugar. Secondly I have a cancer which is being treated by surgery for as long as possible; chemo is reserved until it either becomes invasive, no longer responds to surgery or throws off mets. Radiotherapy will be nasty and is reserved until after chemo.

the main theories behind my plan.
    1) normal body cells grow as well in ketosis; my cancer cells find the conditions hard to grow in.
    2) normal body cells are damaged by high blood glucose; my cancer cells grow extremely well - an 'all you can eat buffet'

Aims; To bring glucose profile to consistently normal as quickly as possible and to maintain ketosis at 4 until glucose profile is normal then it can come down to 2 (blood meter values).

principles of the diet;
    It is an adaptation of the Newcastle University low calorie approach for reversing type 2 diabetes. The diet itself isn't suitable for me as it uses 3 diet shakes and a carbohydrate meal each day and wont sustain ketosis.
    Our adaptation uses the same principles of 800 calories in 4 meals but involves food and we chose primal because of its focus on high quality foods etc. I am using the low carb; moderate protein; high fat approach within the 800 calorie framework.
    carbs around 40g
    protein around 100g
    Fats make up the rest

medication;
    I was using metformin and sitagliptin at the start. I currently use just metformin.
    I supplement with potassium and magnesium as i also have hypokalaemia.
    I take a probiotic multivitamin.

Results
    1) The weight loss; this is important, but isn't actually the focus of the plan -the weight loss has been dramatic. I have lost 49.10lbs since April 18th (44 days).
    2) Blood glucose; at commencement- my blood glucose was wildly abnormal -fasting around 15, 2 hour post-prandial around 18 to 20.
    current - fasting around 7.5, 2 hour post-prandial around 8 to 9.
    3) Cancer; The first surgery, before this plan, showed rapid and aggressive advancement prior to the 2 month point hence the second surgery rapidly following. At 2 months (mid May) post surgery a microscopy exam showed no growth (not 1 visible cell). My next microscopy exam is mid July.

Problems
    The calorie limit was difficult in the first 10 days. Since then hunger is not a problem.
    giving up bread was difficult for the first 10 days. I still crave it occasionally. My husband gave it up too so we could keep it out of the house.
    not eating much fruit has been hard
    I struggled with increasing fat as it was contrary to all other previous advice.
    I have found giving up diet soda very hard.
    I want to smoke.
    Increasing exercise has been hard.
    I find breakfast hard to eat so occasionally use a diet shake. I use a powdered supermarket own brand, use less than half the amount of powder and mix it with water rather than milk so its 6 carbs.

Would I recommend it;
    It certainly is working for me but its supposed to be done under medical supervision. I'm supported by an oncology team and an oncology nutritionist.

I have included the links to Newcastle University's information.
    Reversing Type 2 Diabetes - Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre - Newcastle University
    Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of b... [Diabetologia. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research...eflections.pdf
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research...type2study.pdf
    Good for you for taking the bull by the horns!!! Many people would not do what you are doing. You are a special person. Stay strong!!! I wish you all the best.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi CarbDodger, you've been a great addition to this forum. Thank you for coming and Congratulations on your success so far.
    Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book on Diabetes, it's excellent. (He doesn't require that low a calorie intake.) He lays out a good regeime for complete remission of Type 2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...OI9bk3VZc&NR=1

Paleobird eats no carbs. She's a carnivore. I will be too, one day.

I wish you the very best of luck.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-01-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You're an inspiration, CarbDodger. Taking your health into your own hands. You are lucky to have supportive doctors, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

dev
    dev is offline Junior Member
    Carbdodger, I have never posted here before (usually just lurk and learn ), but I wanted to say I wish you all the best with this approach! I send you much love & energy for continued healing! Peace.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Hi CarbDodger, you've been a great addition to this forum. Thank you for coming and Congratulations on your success so far.
    Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book on Diabetes, it's excellent. (He doesn't require that low a calorie intake.) He lays out a good regeime for complete remission of Type 2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...OI9bk3VZc&NR=1

yep Richard recommended it and I read it.I wish Id come across it a couple of years back. I was thinking of getting his new one- have you read it?

Paleobird eats no carbs. She's a carnivore. I will be too, one day.

I wish you the very best of luck.
    Hi Cryptocode
    I have recently read it - recommended by Richard and I wish I'd come across it a couple of years back - I might not be in this mess, possibly. I'm established in what I'm doing now and as everything is so positive I'm loathe to change anything currently. I've got a lot of information from it to use as maintenance when this initial fast push is over.

As my diabetes is pancreatic rather than type 1 or 2 the problem isn't going to go away at reset like a type 2 so long term strategies will be important. can you recommend any other good diabetes orientated reading?

Like Paleobird's, I've learned a lot from your posts. I don't think I will ever be 100% carnivore, getting enough potassium is always an issue with me. Advice here would also be good

thanks for that video; he's such a sweetie. I will see what else is on you-tube from him
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-02-2013 at 04:28 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Carbdodger, I have never posted here before (usually just lurk and learn ), but I wanted to say I wish you all the best with this approach! I send you much love & energy for continued healing! Peace.
    I'm glad I coaxed you out of the cupboard. All these good vibes make me feel great
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You're an inspiration, CarbDodger. Taking your health into your own hands. You are lucky to have supportive doctors, too.
    Thank you but I feel the same about you. My Drs are really superb, I'm truly lucky to have found so many people with the information I need at this point in my life

Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    Good for you for taking the bull by the horns!!! Many people would not do what you are doing. You are a special person. Stay strong!!! I wish you all the best.
    Sadly many people just don't know so never get the opportunity to try. I'm making the most of my chance

awok677 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Sadly many people just don't know so never get the opportunity to try. I'm making the most of my chance
    THIS. So much this. While I'm working at my own body issues, much of my life revolves around my father and doing what I can with what I'm learning to improve his mental health. It's slow and almost impossible to measure in any meaningful way, but I have family (brother and sister-in-law) and friends who are supportive of my efforts and that helps. We have seen improvements and even holding station with Alzheimer's is a win and that makes it worthwhile.

You and Paleobird both help to keep me motivated, seeing people who have not only taken control of their nutrition, but made things happen. I also want to thank you for all the info you put up as well as your positive approach. Good show!
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    You are a fighter CarbDodger!!

You could also check into a medication called Symlin. I'm not sure if it's prescribed to type 2's or not. It helps to slow down digestion to have less of a spike in blood sugar and also decreases appetite. I haven't tried it because I have type 1 and I take insulin. I'm a little scared of it because I'm more likely to have a low blood sugar and if Symlin is in your system a low blood sugar can be hard to treat.

Keep fighting!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast