Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my diet and why i'm doing it page 2

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Wishing you well on your road to remission and recovery. 800 calories a day is harsh, but if it is working for you, that is all that matters. If I took on that therapy, I'd probably try to do one small meal (150-200 cal) and one large meal to at least end the day with a full belly.

Here's a very low-carb Paleo bread recipe that I used to make: Low-Carb Grain-Free Gluten-Free Bread Rolls | the 3volution of j3nn & the art of voluntary living (you can reduce the calories by making the coconut flour version) If you ever get the desire, maybe this can tide you over.
    800 calories is harsh but every one is a good calorie eaten for a good reason so its not as bad as it sounds.
    The meal pattern is important at the moment. I did try the eat when hungry advice but I get hyperglycaemia spikes. eating 200 approx x 4 gives me a smoother profile currently even though its not natural to me so its worth staying with for a while.

I already have your recipe by the way. I have a primal folder with recipes in. I will try it when my carb count is less restrictive and i can trust myself a bit more. My relationship with bread is fraught, its my only binge food and a comfort food. Its currently barred from the house
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    800 calories is harsh but every one is a good calorie eaten for a good reason so its not as bad as it sounds.
    The meal pattern is important at the moment. I did try the eat when hungry advice but I get hyperglycaemia spikes. eating 200 approx x 4 gives me a smoother profile currently even though its not natural to me so its worth staying with for a while.

I already have your recipe by the way. I have a primal folder with recipes in. I will try it when my carb count is less restrictive and i can trust myself a bit more. My relationship with bread is fraught, its my only binge food and a comfort food. Its currently barred from the house
    Smart move to ban it from the house.

I also have found that I don't need as many calories if every single one of them is packed with nutrition. 800 calories/day of WW food would be torture but primal food is more nutrient dense.

When I was really losing on Primal I was eating about 1000-1200/day and everybody was wringing their hands about "starvation mode" etc. The thing is, once you are in ketosis, you are not really only getting that low intake. Your body is supplementing it with a tasty fat snack off your thighs and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No, I was saying yes, DO focus on ketosis (maybe not obsessed but definitely focused). I just meant that you may not need to be so strict about calories in order to keep ketotic. The recommendation for lowering calories is for people on non-keto foods. They need that extra push of CR to stay ketotic (or to get started on ketosis). If you stay with the right foods, you may be able to relax a bit on the quantities.

And yes, finding your muscles again is awesome. I can locate my triceps.
    It gets a bit complex balancing everything to be honest.
    I understand more about ketosis now my meter works (I'm glad I get those strips free -they are pricey!) The calories is much more about the glucose profile and will probably persist for a couple more months. Its reckoned 6 months reverses type 2 and as I'm pancreatic and reacting so well that it will be quicker. A lot of the calorie restrictions and spaced meals is about resting beta cells and allowing them to heal and regenerate if they can.
    I feel so well though but will be glad when I don't have to count everything.

i reckon i get about 2500 cals of munchies provided by my flab!
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

Paleobird Guest
    It gets a bit complex balancing everything to be honest.
    I understand more about ketosis now my meter works (I'm glad I get those strips free -they are pricey!) The calories is much more about the glucose profile and will probably persist for a couple more months. Its reckoned 6 months reverses type 2 and as I'm pancreatic and reacting so well that it will be quicker. A lot of the calorie restrictions and spaced meals is about resting beta cells and allowing them to heal and regenerate if they can.
    I feel so well though but will be glad when I don't have to count everything.
    Ah, I see. I didn't have to deal with the diabetic aspect. That is a lot to juggle.

You are doing a great job in the face of a lot of obstacles at once. I find you inspirational.

Paleobird - I must tell you this - I did buy a lb of pet mince but when I put it in the pan I saw an eye look back at me. my dog really enjoyed it! I need a better source obviously

Paleobird Guest
    Paleobird - I must tell you this - I did buy a lb of pet mince but when I put it in the pan I saw an eye look back at me. my dog really enjoyed it! I need a better source obviously
    Ewwww. Unfortunately US Wellness Meats doesn't ship overseas.

it was a grass fed, organic eye but it put me right off

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Carbdodger, you really are an inspiration! So few people seem to be willing to take on that level of responsibility for their own health. We'll be cheering you on as you get ready for the next exam. Wishing you a great outcome.

Patti, there's so much incentive - my life's too good to die and my sex life's too good to lose my clitoris (to blunt but its a girlthread!)

Paleobird Guest
    it was a grass fed, organic eye but it put me right off
    I made head cheese with a grass fed organic sheep head but, yes it was kind of strange to have your food looking up at you out of the crock pot. I eventually took a hand blender to the broth after everything had cooked out of the skull so I'm assuming the eyeballs got mixed in. It was delicious.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast