Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal: My Body Revival page 2

vintageeats is offline Member
    Good for you, Patrick! You have a great attitude; may you see much success in your journey.

PRO199 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageeats View Post
    Good for you, Patrick! You have a great attitude; may you see much success in your journey.
    Thank You, some say attitude is everything, if so I have lots to give to this effort.
    Likewise vintageeats, wishing you success. Wisconsin, I love WI, great place to play, hunt, fish, and repeat

My Day: 6-3-2013

I may deserve a bit of flak here as I under ate today. I ate 34 grams of carbs within my 1349 calorie day. No excuse other than letting the days work get in the way of my needing to take in more high quality foods.

My appetite did rebound a bit today, not as much as I expected it would. Prrhaps because I've replaced bad beverages with water and am taking in about 3 quarts a day. Although the gut is grumbling now, but I am minutes from bed so not about to force in more calories now.

Dinner tonight was worthy of a note, I had a couple of pheasants defrosted and made bacon-wrapped smokey pheasant. I've got pictures on he phone, will post them and the recipe tomorrow.

Tomorrow I need to get in some exercise too, other than taking the stairs at work today I didn't make time to exercise.
    Last edited by PRO199; 06-04-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

RECIPE: Smokey BBQ Bacon Wrapped Pheasant

Good morning...
    As promised yesterday, sharing recipe for Smokey BBQ Bacon Wrapped Pheasant.
    Last edited by PRO199; 06-04-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Curiosity for today: Carb Flu

I was hopping around the forums, came across a reference in this meet and greet thread on the Carb Flu?

The what??

As expected, if there is such a thing Mark has already addressed the topic. And he did, HERE.

I was pleased to read that it is not an illness that kicks you in the gut and stomps on your head like influenza. Rather its more of being in a mental fog for a while at the start of the primal journey that some may experience.

Fine by me if I do. Even if eating primal does prompt a brief period of screaming diarrhea and turned my eyebrows pink; that would be harmless compared to the brutality I've put my body through over years of eating SAD.

Ever had carb flu?

My Day: 6-4-2013

Took in 30 grams of carbs within my 1463 calorie day. I know primal says I should be eating more, per the math 2700 calories a day, but I have not been starving here.

My fat intake has been 50-60% of my calories since starting four days ago. Should I be concerned I am taking in more fat than protein routinely? My guess is, no. For many years I've eaten disasterously, where many days were high carb, then fat likely trumping protein too.

Exercise, nope, other than the stairs at work which are hardly enough. I didn't make time after work and before settling in to watch the hockey playoff game to take a walk. Failure, I know
    I gotta gotta gotta fix that part of my game tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Lat56oya View Post
    I'll certainly need the support and wisdom on the primal ways.
    Then you have come to the right place, finding lots of that here at MDA.

Curiosity for today: Pillows

Good Morning!

Woke up with a crooked neck, not sure what caused the kink I'm trying to work out of it.

May be time to buy a new pillow. Last time I bought a pillow, I recall being alarmed by the sticker-shock from how much a pillow can cost.

Pillows, I've never slept without one, does anyone sleep sans-pillow?

Mark talked briefly about pillows in this blog entry:
    Bedding: Do We Really Need It? .

I cannot imagine sleeping without a pillow, and since sleep quality is super-important, I better set aside some cash for a decent pillow.

Any recommendations on pillows you find to be worthy of the money?

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    hi Patrick,

congratulations on going Primal.

Ref the stairs - but it's so much more than just the calories burned. It's feeling good about making that effort when others aren't - and that can put extra bounce in your step. It's bouncing down or bounding up the stairs on the days when you've got energy to spare. It's racing the elevator (down at least) to show up at the bottom before your colleagues, and it's noticing how much easier it gets day by day as the weight comes off and your legs get stronger. Good show.

Low Carb flu - nope, not something that bothers me. But I've never had low blood sugar symptoms either, so even when I've been carrying extra weight I seem able to switch on the fat metabolism and skip meals without it bothering me. I'm now using that ability positively to extend my fat-burning hours.

Pillows. Hmmm, I went through a period of sleeping on the floor and a very flat pillow was almost too much - some days I just used a sweatshirt to pad the floor under the duvet. I suspect it depends how you sleep and I'm a side or front sleeper.

Under-eating. I'm currently eating far less in calories than my supposed required intake for my metabolism, but then I get very little actual exercise. All I know is that I stuff myself at dinner and I'm losing weight. I'm also taking in around 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs so no, you don't need to worry about eating more fat than protein. If you read around, you'll find various suggestions for protein intake - minimum 1g per kg bodyweight I think and up to 1g per lb or so. Then carb intake depends on what you feel happy with, though Mark's 'sweet spot' for weight loss is 50g - 100g carbs. I'm usually under 20g carbs but I'm happier with that. And whatever else you want to eat should come from fat really.

Which sounds complicated, but you soon get the hang of how much protein and carbs your favourite meats and veggies will give you and how to boost fats with avocado or coconut or extra eggs etc.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    hi Patrick,

congratulations on going Primal.
    Awok, appreciate the thoughtful reply and advice!
    I think I need to 'think' less about the numbers re: my required daily intake for my metabolism and put more think-time into ensuring whatever number of calories I do eat are high-quality-primal calories which both satisfy and fuel me specific to my level of activity on any given day. Whew, that was a long sentence...

Thanks!,

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast