Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey all, need some help page 2

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You're not eating enough. And you don't weigh enough. Stop cutting calories - you don't have weight to loose. Body fat? Maybe. You didn't post pics, so it's hard to tell if there is a non-ideal amount of BF or if it's just in your head.

Either way, eat more. At least 2K calories per day, possibly more.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkstee View Post
    Hey everyone

Just joined the forum after about a year of lurking. I've been eating primal/paleo style for about 2 years now and just recently have encountered some issues with disordered eating habits.

Before I get into my story here's some background info:
    -I'm a Male, 5'9, 18 years of age.
    -I'm currently enrolled in a one year intensive visual effects program (high stress/sedentary)
    Started at: 156lbs
    Currently: 129lbs

About 5 months ago I made the decision to lose some body fat after being sedentary for 6 months due to injury+school. I began tracking my calories on my fitnesspal and started with an easy cut:

-1750-1650 calories a day (not net)
    -3x week doing strength training /light cardio (20 minutes)
    - 2 days of cardio (60 minute sessions)
    -no more than 150g of carb a day
    -no more than 60g of sugar

I began to lose weight slowly but I wasn't seeing results so I cut my carbs/calories and raised my exercise and now 5 months later I'm doing:

-1350-1550 calories (not net)
    -3x strength+ 30 minute HIIT a week
    -3x 45-60 minute HIIT cardio a week
    - No more than 100g of carb a day
    - No more than 40g of sugar a day

Over the past month, I've been experiencing intense night sweats (my bed gets completely soaked), painful muscle cramps in the morning and I'm constantly freezing despite being in well air conditioned environments. While my cardio has improved and I've cut down alot of fat, my gym performance is suffering and I feel and move like an old person (constantly tired, stressed, grumpy.)

The thing is I'm no longer hungry throughout the day and fear my metabolism is shot. I also feel like I do better on fats than carbs.

Here's an average day:

7 am Breakfast: (example: 3 eggs,1 lb of frozen vegs, 1/2 avocado)
    classes
    2 pm Lunch: lunch (can of tuna, 1lb of veg, 1/2 avocado)
    classes
    workout
    8 pm Dinner: (2 eggs, 1/2lb of veg, 1/4 can of coconut milk)

macros:
    Carbs 70-95g
    Fat: 50-80g
    Protein 80-120g

Now what I want to do is maintain my body composition and not feel like crap throughout the day. How would i got about doing this? Is it possible for me to make smalls gains without gaining body fat?

Thank you so much for reading, I'm a major noob (as you can see) ,any advice would would greatly appreciated
    I just feel bad for you - don't want anyone to get you down. If you feel like you still have weight to lose, try backing off from the cardio unless its a walk (mark recommends this) and focus on weight lifting. At your age if you do the weights and resistance training with carbs you will see a difference soon. Your body will be much more efficient than ours - take full advantage of this time in your life.
    Hope to hear how you do!

Paleobird Guest
    Just joined the forum after about a year of lurking. I've been eating primal/paleo style for about 2 years now and just recently have encountered some issues with disordered eating habits.

-I'm currently enrolled in a one year intensive visual effects program (high stress/sedentary)
    OK, the above poster may not want to "get down on you" but it needs saying straight out. You eat like an anorexic girl. You are way underweight and you need to EAT MORE FOOD. Don't worry about macros. EAT some of all three. No, make that lots of all three. If you want to get anal retentive about something, you can make sure that you are eating only high quality foods as in no junk that comes in a box but otherwise, no restrictions.

You also need to consider getting some psychological help. There. That needed saying too.

Shotglass is offline Member
    Holy Hell! Have you ever calculated your base metabolic rate? At your age, when you weighed 159lbs, it was approximately 1810 cal/day. That's what you needed to eat if you did nothing but lay in bed all day. By your own post, you're working out like a madman but eating like a bird. Eat more. A LOT MORE!!!! I didn't calculate your daily caloric needs at your activity level (you can do that yourself) but my guess is ~2500 cal/day. Just make sure it good food and not junk.
    Hey everyone

About 5 months ago I made the decision to lose some body fat after being sedentary for 6 months due to injury+school. I began tracking my calories on my fitnesspal and started with an easy cut:

-1750-1650 calories a day (not net)
    -3x week doing strength training /light cardio (20 minutes)
    - 2 days of cardio (60 minute sessions)
    -no more than 150g of carb a day
    -no more than 60g of sugar

I began to lose weight slowly but I wasn't seeing results so I cut my carbs/calories and raised my exercise and now 5 months later I'm doing:

-1350-1550 calories (not net)
    -3x strength+ 30 minute HIIT a week
    -3x 45-60 minute HIIT cardio a week
    - No more than 100g of carb a day
    - No more than 40g of sugar a day

Over the past month, I've been experiencing intense night sweats (my bed gets completely soaked), painful muscle cramps in the morning and I'm constantly freezing despite being in well air conditioned environments. While my cardio has improved and I've cut down alot of fat, my gym performance is suffering and I feel and move like an old person (constantly tired, stressed, grumpy.)

The thing is I'm no longer hungry throughout the day and fear my metabolism is shot. I also feel like I do better on fats than carbs.

Here's an average day:

7 am Breakfast: (example: 3 eggs,1 lb of frozen vegs, 1/2 avocado)
    classes
    2 pm Lunch: lunch (can of tuna, 1lb of veg, 1/2 avocado)
    classes
    workout
    8 pm Dinner: (2 eggs, 1/2lb of veg, 1/4 can of coconut milk)

macros:
    Carbs 70-95g
    Fat: 50-80g
    Protein 80-120g

Now what I want to do is maintain my body composition and not feel like crap throughout the day. How would i got about doing this? Is it possible for me to make smalls gains without gaining body fat?

Thank you so much for reading, I'm a major noob (as you can see) ,any advice would would greatly appreciated

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

dkstee is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to raise my daily calorie intake to around 1700 and slowly build from there. Since I feel like my metabolism is all screwed up, I'm starting with small caloric increases with a broader variety of food, I will also be cutting out cardio on strength training days. I will check back in at least a months time to re evaluate.

Good luck!

Castle is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't going to be blunt, but I think Paleobird was right in her approach.

You mentioned a broken metabolism. You're not doing your metabolism any favors by starving yourself. And you're still not eating enough at 1700 calories, especially with working out, although it's an improvement. Right now you are asking a lot of your body while giving it far too little, and blaming the problems on a shot metabolism (or at least that's how it sounds to me), while the problem is really that you are not eating nearly enough, are way underweight, and and have issues with food. You need to do three things right now.

1) Eat more. You mentioned a tight budget - grab a can of coconut milk (cheap), and drink it all throughout the day without lowering the amount of other foods you eat at all.
    2) Don't use a counting program. Eat several palm sized portions of protein, plenty of fat and vegetables. That's per meal, not per day. When you have an eating disorder (and your description fits having an ED to a 't'), counting calories is NOT HELPING.
    3) See some kind of therapist or counselor. And this recommendation is coming from someone who loathes the psychiatric profession with a burning passion - I do not tell people to do that for no reason.

I don't know if you intended for us all to just leave it when you said you'd check in a few month's time, but this is one subject where I don't just shut up. I went through some shit a couple years ago - your age, actually - and lost my appetite to the point where I couldn't eat more than a muffin a day. I lost all my muscle (but not the fat), and dropped to an unhealthy weight. And I still put myself on a 1400 calorie 'fat loss' diet, because all I could see was fat which needed to go. So I have some idea what you're talking about. It's not healthy. You're not healthy. Eat a lot more primal foods, and scale back your activity level.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-01-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    You need to, like, double your food intake. At least.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Groking Around is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OP, you need to cut back hardcore on that cardio. With all of that HIIT (provided you are going balls to the wall every session) you are gonna be drowning in a ton of cortisol and it will have an effect on your body totally opposite of what you desire (low bf %). Also it definitely cannot be that healthy to be so thin, you want to nourish your body not run it into the ground. I would quit counting the calories, remember that if you are engaging in a lot of high intensity glycogen demanding work then it is recommended to replenish those stores following exercise. So make sure to have the majority of your carbs in the post workout window. Keep lifting 3 times a week, focusing on strength, never go to failure and limit cardio to walking only. Also make sure you are sleeping well, do whatever you can to fix this and manage stress more effectively, deep breathing on a regular basis can make a world of difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12