Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best alternative to half and half page 3

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This kiwi isn't understanding the half and half. .. is that the powdered white stuff Americans put in their coffee?

Why not just put in a splash of real milk if you tolerate dairy?

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Half & half is - or should be - 1/2 milk, 1/2 cream. So real milk, just better (but not as good as full cream).

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I know, right?

It's possible the K-cups are your issue - I know some people adore them, but I was never able to get a good cup of coffee out of mine - it's currently in a box, waiting to be unloaded on some poor sucker, while the french press and grinder gets daily use. A plus side of that is that there are some really awesome fair trade coffee beans out there. Have you ever tried slowly cutting down the amount until you're at black? It can take some getting used to, but once you go black...

If you really want half and half/cream, then try Kalona's dairy products. If your location is accurate, their website says that they have plenty of stores that sell their products in your area - they have half & half and cream, both of which only contain ingredients that came from an udder. They have some of the best dairy products I've ever had, and I'm currently addicted to their sour cream. And their cottage cheese. And their yogurt. And their milk.
    Thank you so much for this recommendation! I will be looking for Kalona products now and I'm definitely going to try it! I would much rather go black and I did for a short while with this Pike's Place because it's so good but in the middle of winter there is just something about the richness and comfort that h&h brings to a cup of coffee.

I wish I could do something other than the K-cups because I don't feel great about the plastic little cups but my problem is I drink a cup at 5am, then 8am and usually another around 11am. The K-cups is a one cup deal and its fresh every time.

Thanks again Castle!

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    I wish I could do something other than the K-cups because I don't feel great about the plastic little cups but my problem is I drink a cup at 5am, then 8am and usually another around 11am.
    They make the reusable k-cups that you just put the grounds in -- will save on the waste.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I use heavy whipping cream. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It's possible the K-cups are your issue - I know some people adore them, but I was never able to get a good cup of coffee out of mine - it's currently in a box, waiting to be unloaded on some poor sucker, while the french press and grinder gets daily use.
    The Boyfriend uses his french press anytime he can actually relax with a few cups, and it makes a huge difference. Completely different from the coffee maker. He grinds his own beans too, and that does make a big difference too.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Coconut milk works well if you have a wand blender or other froth-making device.

But if the coffee is good enough quality I don't really need cream. A touch of cinnamon, vanilla, or stevia will take the edge off. There's a puzzling café near my home that has top-notch single source coffee but a condiment counter with mystery "lightener" as the only option.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Your Starfish tuna guy avatar cracks me up every time I see it!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    This kiwi isn't understanding the half and half. .. is that the powdered white stuff Americans put in their coffee?

Why not just put in a splash of real milk if you tolerate dairy?
    half and half is 10% milk fat coffee cream.

I buy 18% cream (called "coffee cream" here in Canada) or heavy whipping cream for my coffee.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    Thank you so much for this recommendation! I will be looking for Kalona products now and I'm definitely going to try it! I would much rather go black and I did for a short while with this Pike's Place because it's so good but in the middle of winter there is just something about the richness and comfort that h&h brings to a cup of coffee.

I wish I could do something other than the K-cups because I don't feel great about the plastic little cups but my problem is I drink a cup at 5am, then 8am and usually another around 11am. The K-cups is a one cup deal and its fresh every time.

Thanks again Castle!
    What did people do before k-cups when they wanted a cup? A kettle and a french press would do the job, though it would take *slightly* longer to brew. Totally worth it IMO... I have yet to have a cup of K-coffee that didnt' taste like crap.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Castle is offline Senior Member
    I always thought french press would take too long until I got one. Just heat some water (I nuke it), add a few scoops of grounds, stir, wait five minutes, stir, press, done. If you buy an insulated press it could even keep a large batch for a while.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123