Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever get really fed up with or give up on yourself/Primal living? page

fcby9 is online now Senior Member

Do you ever get really fed up with or give up on yourself/Primal living?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a first-year college student and it feels like my life revolves around food so much ever since I've started eating Primally last July. Since then, I've literally gained at least 25 lbs to boot -- it's insane. It's not like I'm gorging on unhealthy foods. I eat well for a college student -- my go-to foods in the dining hall are green/tomatoes from the salad bar and grilled chicken/beef (containing some canola oil, but there's not much to be done about that). When I splurge, I eat fruit, dairy, Larabars, and ice cream from time to time...but no burgers/mac and cheese/French fries/classic college fare. The meal plan is mandatory.

I've just noticed I've become much more prone to binge eating ever since starting college. There are some days when I do VLC without any problems, and others where a bit of fruit might lead to a binge. It's just such a debilitating cycle. I might start the day with a great deal of willpower, but by dinnertime I'm just kaput, and say, "Screw it, I'm having something sweet." Sweets (even natural sugars) are my trigger foods.

I've tried adding more healthy carbs into my diet, but that seems to trigger an "eat more carbs!" button for me.

I just don't know what to do...I don't feel like I'm treating my body the way it deserves to be treated, and I just really want to lose these 30 lbs.

Has anyone felt similar, either during college or otherwise? How did you combat this? Thank you so much for your advice!

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    So, female, first year and 30 pounds added at the cafeteria (the freshman 30). That shit should not be legal.

I suggest you eat meat and vegetables, do the play and exercise portions, hell, just do the PB in it's entirety.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    I'm a first-year college student and it feels like my life revolves around food so much ever since I've started eating Primally last July. Since then, I've literally gained at least 25 lbs to boot -- it's insane. It's not like I'm gorging on unhealthy foods. I eat well for a college student -- my go-to foods in the dining hall are green/tomatoes from the salad bar and grilled chicken/beef (containing some canola oil, but there's not much to be done about that). When I splurge, I eat fruit, dairy, Larabars, and ice cream from time to time...but no burgers/mac and cheese/French fries/classic college fare. The meal plan is mandatory.

I've just noticed I've become much more prone to binge eating ever since starting college. There are some days when I do VLC without any problems, and others where a bit of fruit might lead to a binge. It's just such a debilitating cycle. I might start the day with a great deal of willpower, but by dinnertime I'm just kaput, and say, "Screw it, I'm having something sweet." Sweets (even natural sugars) are my trigger foods.

I've tried adding more healthy carbs into my diet, but that seems to trigger an "eat more carbs!" button for me.

I just don't know what to do...I don't feel like I'm treating my body the way it deserves to be treated, and I just really want to lose these 30 lbs.

Has anyone felt similar, either during college or otherwise? How did you combat this? Thank you so much for your advice!
    What you're describing is probably two-fold:

1. An underlying addiction.
    2. A micronutrient deficiency.

I believe that it's a good idea for those with any degree of addiction to avoid fruit and starchy vegetables because of precisely what you describe. Focus on fat, protein, and non-starchy veggies.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I never purchased a meal plan in college. I lost weight when I went to college. Go to a grocery store and keep your foods in your mini fridge and cook the the microwave. Most dorms have at least community kitchens, too, I would think?

Meal plans are traps. They are rip offs, and all-you-can-eats. You naturally try to get your money's worth. I went to the cafeteria a few times, and it was like $8 for lunch. I found myself grabbing multiple refills of coke, sandwiches, soup, everything I could get my hands on. I would even leave with fruit smuggled in my backpack.

Then I realized what I was doing, and stopped. I packed my lunch instead.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    I have had a very simiar experience since going primal about 3 months ago...I've gained 5lbs and have experience cravings/binges/raveneous hunger...I never binge ate before but it seemed like every 2-3 days I was eating a crapton of primal food or some days giving in to crap...I was feeing totally out of control and thought maybe primal was giving me an ED...then the weirdest thing happened...I went to visit my sister and spent a lot of time in the sun for 3 days and all the urges to binge/overeat are completely gone...I feel in total control of my appetite...am able to fast most days effortlessly for 18-20 hours...and then don't overeat...it has been a week now which is the longest I've gone since going primal...try getting a tan and see if it helps...I cant come up with any other explanation...I'm now trying to get sun as much as possible....maybe I was low in vitamin D

moonpie is offline Junior Member
    How much fat are you eating? I didn't read anything about fat in your diet. In order to lose fat you need to eat a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
    How much fat are you eating? I didn't read anything about fat in your diet. In order to lose fat you need to eat a lot of it.
    Moonpie: my dining hall doesn't really have many quality fat sources. There's a tin on questionable butter in the same area where the PB&J is stored. It seems like protein is my only really safe bet.

I do have a minifridge in my room, though, where I could buy and store sticks of Kerrygold or some other grass-fed butter.

moonpie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    Moonpie: my dining hall doesn't really have many quality fat sources. There's a tin on questionable butter in the same area where the PB&J is stored. It seems like protein is my only really safe bet.

I do have a minifridge in my room, though, where I could buy and store sticks of Kerrygold or some other grass-fed butter.
    Of course they wouldn't have any high-quality fat sources

Yes, you need Kerrygold and coconut oil for starters. Try Bulletproof Coffee. Perhaps you can also carry a small shampoo bottle (the travel size ones you can get and fill with your own stuff) with olive oil to the dining hall for salads?

Seriously though, you need fat. I bet if you had bulletproof coffee every morning or even twice a day and then had a salad with a lot of olive oil on it that would help. Also grab an avocado and take it for the salads or for a snack.

You can do it!

Castle is offline Senior Member
    First year college student here, with a few things possible tips. I don't know what school you go to, what their food is like, or how reasonable the administration is, so these may not all apply to you.

1) If you can, cook for yourself. A lot of dorms have kitchens, however rudimentary. It may seem like it takes up all your life at first - it did for me - but after a bit you learn how to make it go quick, how to cook up extra and save it for when you don't have time, etc.
    2) If you have a means to cook, try asking to be exempted from the meal plan. My school had a mandatory meal plan too, but after talking to the chef about what I didn't eat because it made me feel sick - the oil they cook in included - they exempted me from future meal plans.
    3) Check and see where the school's food comes from. Some, like mine, source locally (which is awesome when they do)
    4) If you don't have a place to cook/can't get exempted from the meal plan, then eat lean cuts of meat (if it's factory farmed - if it's not then go for the fatty cuts), and lots of vegetables from the cafeteria. Buy cans of coconut milk to supplement that - they're cheap, filling, and good for you. Just stick 'em in the fridge overnight and enjoy the next day.
    5) You talk about binging. This suggests to me that something like a Whole30 would be greatly beneficial to you. Go to Whole9 Life - it sounds like just what you need.
    6) DON'T LET THE PERFECT BECOME THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. Seriously. It's easy to say that, because you can't do it 100% as you'd like it that you should just throw in the towel. Don't. You can do this. Eat the best you can, move as much as you can. You're already miles ahead of your classmates.
    7) While on the one hand, I've found planned VLC (as opposed to when it just happens) makes me likely to think about giving up on this way of eating, you describe issues adding in carbs. Personally, I'd say don't be afraid of the carbs - that's not saying you should go to town on potatoes, rice and yams, but really don't shy away from carrots, squash, or really any other veggies. At the point you're describing yourself, what you mainly need is whole, real food.
    8) Ditch the fruit if you're having issues. A few servings won't hurt physically, but if they're an issue mentally than just get rid of them. You don't need them.
    9) Move. If you have some time on your hands, go for a nice long walk, lift something heavy, etc. If you don't have time, just take 10-15min and do a little sprinting. That's what I do when I have exams.

You can do this! Let me know if you have any questions - I know it can feel daunting, and there are a LOT of issues that may need to be overcome on the way, but it's doable!

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    First year college student here, with a few things possible tips. I don't know what school you go to, what their food is like, or how reasonable the administration is, so these may not all apply to you.

1) If you can, cook for yourself. A lot of dorms have kitchens, however rudimentary. It may seem like it takes up all your life at first - it did for me - but after a bit you learn how to make it go quick, how to cook up extra and save it for when you don't have time, etc.
    2) If you have a means to cook, try asking to be exempted from the meal plan. My school had a mandatory meal plan too, but after talking to the chef about what I didn't eat because it made me feel sick - the oil they cook in included - they exempted me from future meal plans.
    3) Check and see where the school's food comes from. Some, like mine, source locally (which is awesome when they do)
    4) If you don't have a place to cook/can't get exempted from the meal plan, then eat lean cuts of meat (if it's factory farmed - if it's not then go for the fatty cuts), and lots of vegetables from the cafeteria. Buy cans of coconut milk to supplement that - they're cheap, filling, and good for you. Just stick 'em in the fridge overnight and enjoy the next day.
    5) You talk about binging. This suggests to me that something like a Whole30 would be greatly beneficial to you. Go to Whole9 Life - it sounds like just what you need.
    6) DON'T LET THE PERFECT BECOME THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. Seriously. It's easy to say that, because you can't do it 100% as you'd like it that you should just throw in the towel. Don't. You can do this. Eat the best you can, move as much as you can. You're already miles ahead of your classmates.
    7) While on the one hand, I've found planned VLC (as opposed to when it just happens) makes me likely to think about giving up on this way of eating, you describe issues adding in carbs. Personally, I'd say don't be afraid of the carbs - that's not saying you should go to town on potatoes, rice and yams, but really don't shy away from carrots, squash, or really any other veggies. At the point you're describing yourself, what you mainly need is whole, real food.
    8) Ditch the fruit if you're having issues. A few servings won't hurt physically, but if they're an issue mentally than just get rid of them. You don't need them.
    9) Move. If you have some time on your hands, go for a nice long walk, lift something heavy, etc. If you don't have time, just take 10-15min and do a little sprinting. That's what I do when I have exams.

You can do this! Let me know if you have any questions - I know it can feel daunting, and there are a LOT of issues that may need to be overcome on the way, but it's doable!
    Wow, Castle, thank you so much. It's really comforting to hear a voice as empathetic as yours. And I appreciate everyone else's fantastic advice too! This is so helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast