Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you ever get really fed up with or give up on yourself/Primal living? page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    my big questions would be around your sleep and movement as well.

when i started university, i lost 15 lbs instead of gained weight. I ate in the dining halls: meat, salad bar, and the super-high fat Penn State ice cream. I would have potatoes and bread too (not paleo), but i always noticed how thos emade me feel "bloated" and so ate them rarely (usually just around menstruation).

what i noticed is that i moved more - a lot more. I walked everywhere; i was taking both a yoga and african dance class (each met three days a week) as physical education -- and decided to keep that up each semester until I graduated with two clubs rather than classes for grades, though.

i also went to bed at 10:30 without fail Sun-Thurs.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Maybe a dumb question, but how much do you drink? That usually is an underlying factor in the freshman 15 weight gain.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but how much do you drink? That usually is an underlying factor in the freshman 15 weight gain.
    Yep, I was going to ask this and also about quality/quantity of sleep you are or aren't getting. It's not always about the food.

fcby9 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep, I was going to ask this and also about quality/quantity of sleep you are or aren't getting. It's not always about the food.
    Also @ Zanna: I don't drink. At all. I never went through the wild child alcohol experimentation phase, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    my big questions would be around your sleep and movement as well.

when i started university, i lost 15 lbs instead of gained weight. I ate in the dining halls: meat, salad bar, and the super-high fat Penn State ice cream. I would have potatoes and bread too (not paleo), but i always noticed how thos emade me feel "bloated" and so ate them rarely (usually just around menstruation).

what i noticed is that i moved more - a lot more. I walked everywhere; i was taking both a yoga and african dance class (each met three days a week) as physical education -- and decided to keep that up each semester until I graduated with two clubs rather than classes for grades, though.

i also went to bed at 10:30 without fail Sun-Thurs.
    Wow, Zoebird, your story is inspiring! I'm a lot like you in that I sleep early too. I've never pulled an all-nighter, and generally I average about 7 hours of sleep on the weekdays (more on the weekends), which is pretty good for a college student, if you ask me.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you still haven't talked about movement.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    you still haven't talked about movement.
    I walk everywhere, and I try to strength train about twice/week. I sprint once a week. I'm a bit less accountable about the strength training and sprinting when I'm stressed, though. Usually I like to exercise first thing in the morning but if I'm in the midst of exams I might just opt to sleep in.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    What an awesome thing that you are getitng into primal whilst you are still at college. If you've recently gone primal you will need access to plenty of fresh vegetables and meat/eggs/fish, and be able to cook it yourself according to your own tastes.

The higher levels of nutrients in these foods will quickly begin to curb any appetite issues you have so that you will end up only craving carbs when you need them, such as after excersise and it will hopefully lead to longer periods without getting hungry.

I remember when I was a student the main issue about getting decent meals was my inability to cook (something I have since rectified), but also you are unlikely to get decent portions of veg and meat in a standard cafeteria or restaurant, those places tend to offer a lot of cheap processed 'filler' foods such as breads and fries (unless you are on a self service buffet or something similar) Also I would say that if you do splurge from time to time this is not an issue, especially at your age, provided you keep your daily eating habits in check

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    my go-to foods in the dining hall are green/tomatoes from the salad bar and grilled chicken/beef (containing some canola oil, but there's not much to be done about that). When I splurge, I eat fruit, dairy, Larabars, and ice cream from time to time...but no burgers/mac and cheese/French fries/classic college fare.
    If you are trying to hold out on meat and lettuce/tomatoes you are of course going to binge on larabars and ice cream. Too restrictive, too low fat. You need some butter, cooked vegetables and dare I say it: potatoes now and then.

Also, college is stressful. Even if you are happy and enjoying it, it's a major stress because it's a major change.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12