Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Newbie like me to support each other. page 8

Greys and Chaos is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello everyone I have been primal since the 13th of May and have lost 7 pounds so far, my depression is gone, my energy is back and my acne has improved greatly! To be honest, this is my second time around..... I went primal back in 2009 and dropped about 15 pounds and held out for quite a while but got bored with meals and fell off the wagon for a few years. I still tried to keep my carbs somewhat low but was eating breads and grains again. That. doesn't. work. I spiraled into a deep depression in the middle of April and decided that I had to do something. Within three days of cutting out grains in May I was happy again. Just amazing. Though the carb flu did get me a few days after that!

This time around I am really trying to mix it up and try different recipes and such and stick with it forever. I do have a hard time with some meals since I cannot have dairy and am allergic to eggs, avocados and bananas (plus others), all those seem to be in so many recipes! I do seem to be able to tolerate butter as I use it quite a bit.

Anyhow I am glad to find this thread to chat in, I need some sort of connection here, but do not feel that I have enough to say to start my own thread/diary on the forum like I see so many do

Quote Originally Posted by RayDWeger View Post
    Yep if your a chocolate fan :-) add a Tsp of unsweetened dark chocolate and a few drops liquid stevia

Sent from my EVO using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    What form of chocolate is this? Like from a bar? or a powder? Sounds divine I am trying to cut out artificial sweeteners, still using about two to three splendas for my coffee in the morning (one in each cup I drink) but I need something other than black coffee and I cannot have dairy not too crazy about adding coconut oil to my coffee either, though I have tried it.

RayDWeger is offline Member
    I use special Dark Cocoa powder 100% but you can use bittersweet bars or chips just make sure no sugar and at least 75% cocoa..
    Drop the splenda and at least switch to stevia powder or the liquid drops are the best and has no additives like glucose that will spike your blood sugar

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

@grey & chaos
    Welcome to the group lots of participation between everyone here so if you have questions or ideas please chime in

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Hey all, sorry I havent posted in a few days. Its great to hear that we've got some more new people and that everyone is doing so well! Congrats on the weight loss Gwynnda!!!!

I've been out of town for the last few days visiting my parents and have been dealing with a broken iphone (so no MDA app). My family is very non-primal, so I haven't been doing very good to stay on track (ice cream twice in 3 days, and fried chicken for lunch...). I did have a divine coconut and dark chocolate macaroon (or, you know, 3). Was completely gluten free and made from coconut... I just kinda skipped past all the sugar in it After I ate them, I looked and it was 22g carbs per macaroon.

@grey and chaos Glad to have you here! Like Ray said, we're a very open bunch and try to help as much as possible, so please don't hesitate on jumping right in. I'm like you in the falling off the primal wagon too. I fell off for about a year, back to eating bread, etc until I was diagnosed celiac 2 months ago. As for the food allergies, I'm sure all of us would be willing to help you out with finding recipes or giving ideas.

@Ashley
    I can imagine being the lone wolf in your family makes change very trying. I am lucky that my wife is pretty much on track with me as to the grain free aspect of the primal WOE. Her main vice is pancakes but even that she does pretty well in eating much less. She is not going the VLC like me and about the only difference in diet is she eats potatoes and more fruit than me.
    Stick to your plan and as some have said they don't have to eat like you but you don't have to participate in theirs.... Yes I know,it sounds great in the blog

Good luck and you will get somewhat in different to the bad foods after a month or so. Don't do any cheat meals until you have,tapped into the Primal Force :-)

Sent from my EVO using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

allymd is offline Junior Member
    Hello! My name is Allyson and although I have been a fan of low carb, this is the first time that I have really invested time in the Primal lifestyle.

I was an avid Atkins follower for 5 years and lost a TON on weight. So much that my future husband thought I looked like a starvation victim :-/ Over time, thought, I gradually added more and more carbs to my diet and gained back about 15 lbs. Then I got into P90x and eventually, Crossfit, and got back on the better eating bandwagon. However, my weight stagnated no matter how much working out I did or how much I did or didn't eat.

I decided to look again at low carb plans and came across IF first, then Primal which I can fall back in love with since I am accustomed to the eating due to my Atkins days. Just after 2-3 days on the Primal plan, ive dropped enough water weight that I am fitting into clothes that were getting a little tight. I am also trying to break myself of measuring EVERYTHING on a scale before I eat it...I have a 3 yo little girl who doesn't need to see her mommy obsessing over each meal. Let's see how this round goes!

raikay is offline Member
    Well, I slacked with my update yesterday. I was WAY low on calories so I'm counting it mentally as an IF day. I experimented with a recipe for goat that I didn't have everything I needed for and it bombed a little leaving me not only under-calories at night, but also not feeling like eating anything to compensate for it. I would have been marginally ok-ish on calories if I hadn't exercised.

I'm still having hot flashes pretty bad which is continuing to affect my sleeping. It'll be one of the things I bring up with my Dr. next week because I'm wondering if the weight loss/diet changes/exercise has thrown off my hormone levels to the point where we might need to adjust my hrt levels. Good thing is, today's the 5th day of not smoking and I'm feeling a bit less stabby

Here's my breakdown for yesterday:
    1,075 calories
    30 carbs
    66 fat
    154 protein

Exercise included TRX, kettlebells, SLDL, goblet squats, and some core stuff.
    Every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value --Winnie Dalley

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gwynnda is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greys and Chaos View Post
    Hello everyone I have been primal since the 13th of May and have lost 7 pounds so far, my depression is gone, my energy is back and my acne has improved greatly!
    @Greys and Chaos, it's nice to have the scale go to the other direction. Congrats and welcome! I too am completely off my depression medication and have a consistent feeling of piece and joy. Sounds corny but it's how I feel. Ray has been a great resource for questions. Your food allergies does make it interesting in finding good recipes. I tend to stick to comfort food for me, which is chicken, fish and beef. I really don't miss a lot of things except licorice. I miss that like smokers miss smoking and alcoholics miss a drink.

@ashley thanks, it's nice to have my clothes fit loosely on my body instead of snug. Now that the plants and flowers are all panted and weeds pulled (most anyway) I have been working out. I look forward to working out because I can eat more.

We all have done that I believe, I know I did. Just out of curiosity, how do you feel after? When I had a small amount of Baked beans and 4 beers in two nights, the next two days, I felt like crap. I felt lethargic, lazy and I did not want to do anything but lay on the couch.

@allymd, welcome and this is a good group. Very supportive which is what we all need. I also have a little one and she does see me weigh my food. I'm getting better with knowing what 2 cups of lettuce looks like or what 1 oz of cheese. I just want to make sure I'm getting what I need, I don't want to go over or be under. I'm sure I'll slack off once I get to where I want to be.

@raikay, congrats on the not smoking. I know it is an extremely quit. It's been said, the addiction is worse than heroin so I'm very happy and proud of you!!!!! How about nuts? Do you have them in your house? They are great for when you need a calorie/fat/protein boost. For me it's like a treat now because I can taste the sweetness in them (Almonds).

Yesterday:
    Calories - 1748
    Carbs - 47
    Fat - 142
    Protein - 58
    Sodium - 2496
    Sugar - 16

What I'm concerned about is I'm not getting enough potassium in my diet. Some days are around 2000 but most days are around 1000. We need a minimum of 3500 a day. I know where to get it, but I don't want my carbs to skyrocket. Any ideas anyone? This probably is an issue with all of us.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

@ qwennda
    Lots of potassium in chuck roast, ribeye, pork loin, fish, nuts and eggs contain less but are a good source.

Looking at your protein intake if your working out often you may need to bump that up
    A good rule is .8 grams per pound of lean body mass or 100 pounds at 10 % body fat would have a lean body mass of 90 pounds of lean body mass times 0.8 grams = 72 grams of protein per day

Everything looks GREAT

Gwynnda is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RayDWeger View Post
    @ qwennda
    Lots of potassium in chuck roast, ribeye, pork loin, fish, nuts and eggs contain less but are a good source.

Looking at your protein intake if your working out often you may need to bump that up
    A good rule is .8 grams per pound of lean body mass or 100 pounds at 10 % body fat would have a lean body mass of 90 pounds of lean body mass times 0.8 grams = 72 grams of protein per day

Everything looks GREAT
    Thanks Ray, I will increase my protein.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast