Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Newbie like me to support each other. page 7

RayDWeger is offline Member
    [QUOTE=raikay;1212995]So, my motivations when I decided to do Primal was purely to eliminate grains. My pain management doctor had been trying to get me to go gluten free for a couple years to help with my fibromyalgia. After reading Wheat Belly and The Primal Blueprint, and seeing some rather depressing pictures of myself, I decided to give it a go. My pain is all but gone since cutting grains and sugars and I am off all my medications except for my hormones which is quite a feat for all the muscle relaxers and Neurontin and pain pills I was on.

Yesterdays Intake:
    Total Fat: 91g
    Carbs: 26g
    Protein 114g
    Calories: 1375

Whoop Whoop
    Go raikay

Sent from my EVO using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Gwynnda is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PRO199 View Post
    You eat the 2 Tbsp of virgin coconut oil straight up twice a day? Or you use it in recipes twice a day?
    @PRO, I was searching for ways to get Coconut Oil into my diet easily and this is what I found. Put a tbsp of it in your coffee. So this morning I did and it's not too bad, I also added a tbsp of heavy whipping cream but decided I like the "blackness" of my coffee better. I omitted the cream from my next cup and added the oil. This is what I found.

Coconut Oil Coffee | Mama's Weeds

The link below is a good read about the benefits of coconut oil.

Coconut Oil - Here's what you need to know about this amazing rejuvenation and healing oil

@Ray, I'm on page 909 (iPhone Kindle App) The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. I'm engrossed. Thanks for the recommendation.

@aubbob, I think so. My target is 1560 and was told by two people (Ray included) that I'm not eating enough calories. I'm eating a lot more than what I used to eat and it's hard to eat more for me without messing up my ratios. So today, I'm going to increase it to 1850.

Here are my totals from yesterday.

Calories - 1559
    Fat - 130
    Sodium - 2320 (need to increase)
    Potassium - 1908 (need to increase)
    Carbs - 42
    Fiber - 25
    Sugar - 8
    Protein - 56

I think I'm close to being or am keto-adapted because I'm losing 1/2 lb a day now. According to the book referenced above, once you become keto-adapted, weight loss is about 2.5 a week average (if I remember correctly). And that's with "falling off the wagon Memorial Day Weekend.

This has been my progress since I started on 5/16:

The first week I lost 8lbs (5/16 to 5/22)

Weekend of 5/26 - after having a small portion of baked bean and a few beers - gained all the weight back.

5/26 to present - lost a total of 7lbs.

According to Dr. Phinney and Dr. Volek (co-authors of the book above) they said becoming keto-adapted can happen in a few weeks or 6 depending on the person. Sometimes it's mind over matter, my mind set, I am.

Positive reinforcement for me, my shorts that used to fit tight around my waist are now hanging on me! Which is nice because I don't have that "indent" around my waist from the waist band any longer. Some may say it's just water loss. It's still loss as long as I don't stray from my healthy eating habits.

Time to go ride my stationary bike with 30 second to 1 minute intervals every 4 to 6 minutes. Total time 40 minutes on the bike.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

[QUOTE=raikay;1212995]So, my motivations when I decided to do Primal was purely to eliminate grains. My pain management doctor had been trying to get me to go gluten free for a couple years to help with my fibromyalgia. After reading Wheat Belly and The Primal Blueprint, and seeing some rather depressing pictures of myself, I decided to give it a go. My pain is all but gone since cutting grains and sugars and I am off all my medications except for my hormones which is quite a feat for all the muscle relaxers and Neurontin and pain pills I was on.

@Raikay, WOW! My friend suffers from fibro too and I wish she would do research about this. I've told her about the treads I've seen. I am going to send her all the links I can find.

Congrats, that so wonderful and it put a big smile on my face when I read that!

OK, I have a date with a bike.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

Quote Originally Posted by aubbob View Post
    I wanted to update about yesterday's intake for me.

Should I be very concerned with my caloric intake at the moment? And is there info somewhere on what my intake should be as far as fat and protein goes?
    YES, you are not eating enough calories right now. I'm at 1560 and was told by two people (Ray included) to increase them. I increased them to 1850 today.

Here is what Mark says about it protein.

Dear Mark: How Much Protein Can You Absorb and Use from One Meal? | Mark's Daily Apple

I would google BMI calculator with body measurements for women. I would give you the url but I don't want this to get stuck in "approval" mode again.

I wrote a long response this morning but it's being "monitored" and has to be approved. I think it's because I included two links about the benefits of coconut oil that were outside MDA.

@PRO, I add a tbsp to my coffee and it's not too bad. Good way to get fat in without going over in my protein. There are so many health benefits of coconut oil when ingested. If my previous comment does not get posted because of those links, I just googled "benefits of ingesting coconut oil".
    Last edited by Gwynnda; 06-05-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

BMR calculators will give you your caloric requirements to just exist and you can adjust according to your activity levels

[QUOTE=Gwynnda;1213273]YES, you are not eating enough calories right now. I'm at 1560 and was told by two people (Ray included) to increase them. I increased them to 1850 today.

Hey Gwynnda
    Keep an eye on your weight after bumping calories up, that seems like a good number especially if your "good fats" are above 70%.
    If your weight loss stalls you may want to back it off just a bit.
    FWIW my weight stays within a pound from week to week even when I go above 2800 calories .....
    Remember % ratios is the target and while I imagine if we consistently over eat we will probably gain BUT it is really hard for me to eat to much if my fat intake is above 70%

Good luck all post up so we can share success or lend a helping hand if needed

Ray

@Ray, I know but I did two different BMR calculators state I need less than 1560 a day to maintain without exercise. So the days I exercise, I will "really try" to eat the calories I burned during exercising. MFP has me at 1560 to lose weight. I find it very hard to get all my calories in on a daily basis and fat at just 1560. Protein is not hard because I love protein. I don't want to go over on carbs or protein.

I have a Magic Bullet, I put 2 tbsp of cream and 1 oil with my coffee this morning and it tastes like a latte. I'm going to continue to do this just to get my fat in. I don't think I can do a "Ray" with my coconut oil, open the mouth and down the hatch. It's the consistency thing or even melted. I guess I'm not cave women enough! So I'm amending my post from yesterday about taking the cream out.

On a good note, I have lost a total of 8lbs since 5/26. Drs. Phinney and Volek said in the book that your body can fluctuate 4 lbs of water on a daily basis, so taking that out of the equation, that's 4 lbs in almost 2 weeks.

How is everyone else doing?

I know we all have busy lives, it's good to hear from each other.
    Last edited by Gwynnda; 06-06-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

Congrats on the 8 pounds!! If you melt the coconut oil it's not to bad just strange. If you leave your coffee warm add a,Tbsp of C O in your primal Latte

Quote Originally Posted by RayDWeger View Post
    Congrats on the 8 pounds!! If you melt the coconut oil it's not to bad just strange. If you leave your coffee warm add a,Tbsp of C O in your primal Latte

Thanks!

I like flavored coffee anyway so the C O gives it a flavor. I put 2 Tbsp of Heavy Whipping Cream and 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil, put it in my MB (Magic Bullet) for 30 sec or so and it's nice and frothy. Good way to get calories and fat in first thing in the morning. I do find that I'm not hungry until lunch or later.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yep if your a chocolate fan :-) add a Tsp of unsweetened dark chocolate and a few drops liquid stevia

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast