Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Newbie like me to support each other. page 2

PrimalFreedom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    so, you've started the 21 day transformation?

I will warn you, Hemlock Grove is definitely darker and a little bit more sexually explicit than some of those other shows. It takes a couple of episodes to get into, but after that its definitely easy to get into. Yeah, I "legally" cant get Hulu, but we've hacked into some of the American things on xbox so that we can use them. American Netflix has 100X more stuff than the Canadian.

I never used to play video games, only got into it because my bf loves to play them. Figured if I wanted to spend any time with him I'd need to learn haha You should see if they've played Happy Wars (depending on what system they use). Awww, I'm sure you're not that bad! Besides, I dont think you need to actually be good with those games since so many of the moves are just plain silly. We have Just Dance 3 and Dance Central for Xbox. My favorite songs on Just Dance 3 would have to be Barbara Streisand, Apache (Jump On It), I Dont Feel Like Dancing, and Hey Boy Hey Girl. They're all so intense and hilarious to watch people try to do. Makes for an awesome group activity thats for sure! They do have a separate sweat mode for on those games too, if you ever want to have a bit more of an intense dance.

If you go back to the MDA main page, there's a header about fitness and he has a guide that walks you through getting started. Personally, I do push ups, planks, normal and wide-legged squats, lunges, and dips. I want to start doing pull ups, but I dont have anywhere to put a bar at the moment.

Wow, sounds like you've been really busy! Do you only plant flowers, or do you have a garden for food too?

Today was a bit of a lazy day for me. Stayed inside for the most part and read for a while, and did lots of stuff on my laptop. We went to the gym for about an hour. I haven't been to one in a long time, so I was a little out of my element since I'm used to lifting weights rather than using the machines. I went to go use the weights, but the area was too crowded already so I went over to the empty machine side. Wow! I was surprised at the amount I could lift. For legs, I was averaging about 100 lbs and for arms I was averaging around 70-80 lbs.

Like I mentioned before, I'm not doing so good on the eating regularly part, so this has been my food for the day:

Brunch:
    2 hard boiled eggs
    3 hot dogs (natural, preservative free, etc) with mustard
    1 sandwich bag full of broccoli
    2 apricots

Snacks:
    Dill pickle spitz (I've been craving more salt lately, so I only got a little bag of them)

Supper:
    I wasn't too hungry when bf wanted food, so I just got an order of fries. I'm sure I'll snack some more later tonight but thats what its been for the day today.

Gwynnda is offline Member
    @PrimalFreedom, yes I have. I'm day 4 of starting all over since 5/16. I had graduation parties and has a couple of beers and 2 bits of Bushes Baked Beans. The next day I felt like crap. Are you new to it? I see you joined in May too.

@Ashley, I ate so much more than what you did.

Breakfast
    Maxwell House - Original Roast, 4 cup (I know, WAY too much) I needed it.

Lunch
    Spinach and Pork Fritatta, 1 serving
    Celery - Fresh, Raw, Stalks, 3 med stalks
    Sprouts - Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, 2 tbsp
    Fats - Avacado - Fresh - Whole Raw, 75 g
    Marketside - Fresh Spinach (Net Carbs) Corrected, 2 oz
    Cucumber - Peeled, raw, 1 cup, pared, chopped 16
    Paleo Vinaigrette Dressing, 2 serving(s)
    Finely Shredded Colby & Montery Jack Cheese, 0.21 cup

Dinner
    Homemade -Outside Grill - Grilled Chicken - Breast, 9.4
    Morton - Iodized Table Salt, 1/2 tsp (1.5g)
    Frank's Red Hot - Buffalo Wing Sauce, 2 tbsp
    Colby & Monterey Jack Block Cheese, 56 g/1 oz
    Paleo Vinaigrette Dressing, 2 serving(s) 189
    Fats - Avacado - Fresh - Whole Raw, 150 g
    Marketside - Baby Spinach, Organic, 2 oz
    Generic - Romaine Lettuce, 8 oz
    Fresh Vegetable - Red Onion - Diced/Raw, 1/4 cup, diced
    Sprouts - Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, 2 tbsp

Snacks
    Dove - Rich Dark Chocolate Squares, 1 pieces - I have not had it yet but am so going to have it...

TOTAL:
    1,595 - Calories
    56g - Carbs
    144g - Fat
    87g - Protein
    222mg - Choesterol
    2,635mg - Sodium
    21g - Sugars
    23g -Fiber

I went over my totals today except for cholesterol, potassium, sugars, calcium and iron. I'm not too worried about it because since I started over, I've come in low everyday. I'm 10/20/70 (Carbs/protein/fat). I based the protein off of Marks calc. on BMI then did carbs less than 50g a day and the rest calculated to fats. I get most of them through avacado, olive oil and cheese. I'm going to start cutting down on the cheese, only 1 oz a day vs the 4 what I had today but the usual of 2 a day.

If this does not work, then I'll tweak it. I'm trying to stay under 50g a day but no less than 35g of carbs. I just love veggies so much that it's hard for me to not go over 50. I would eat veggies all day long if I could.

I will look at what Mark has to say.

Sorry for the personal question, but with your work outs, are you eating enough?

@ PrimalFreedom, yes I'm in day 4. I started it on 5/16 but had Graduation parties, had a few beers last weekend and a few bites of baked beans. I felt sick the entire next day. Are you doing it too, if so what day are you on?

@ashley, I will start Monday and report back to you what I did.

I ate so much more than you today. I ate 1561 calories, 145g of fat, 55 carbs and 87 grams of protein. I needed the extra food today. It was 2 salads, chicken and pork and spinach frittata.

I love watching tv series so I will look into it.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

Well, I shut down my computer and was mad because all I typed was gone, then
    I retype on phone (stats from memory) them post this one and my post from my computer was there. Stupid technology or user, probably the ladder.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

shonieb33 is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I would like to join the newbie club! I also agree about the whole support thing! I started this on the 27th of May, I did some post in the journal area, etc. but felt like I was mostly talking to myself... mostly. I did get a few replies--- but it would be nice to check in with each other that are in the same boat as me. I need you guys.

I was also doing fitness.com, but one; I didn't know you can adjust the amounts of fats and carbs and two, the idea of weighing my food kind of bothers me. It begins to feel more like a diet. However, with that said, I too would like to keep my carbs low and I don't want to over eat either. I personally love to eat and I can eat in volume, soooo I am tossing it around again whether I should weigh and measure??? Guess it would be easier if someone said, it so many cups of low carb veggies a day, this many pieces of or cups of fruit, so many table spoons of fat (like oil) and eat your protein until for full.

I have been eating eggs with a little cheese and peppers in the a.m. and meat and veggies at lunch and dinner. I will have greek yogurt for a snack and like today I ate 3 pieces of fruit. I was hungry today. It's getting to be that time for me and I am always even more hungrier about "this time".

I am 5'5'' and weigh a unfit 145. I would like to drop between 10 and 20 pounds. I wouldn't even mind toning up what I do have. I am grateful that I find an athletic build sexy and realistic, at least for this gal. Eating the way I was put lots of weight on me and fast, there is nothing athletic going on now that's for sure!

Like I said. I started this on the 27th, however the last couple of days weren't so great. I love, LOVE sugar and I ate some sugary items, not even because I was craving them, but because they were there. Today was a much better day--- mostly primal. All but the salad kit I bought. Oh, and artificial sweetener I used in my coffee. Speaking of coffee, for now I am going to continue using half and half in my coffee, I do not want to be using artificial sweeteners though.

I currently do not have the book. I am somewhat familiar with it, and familiar with this lifestyle. I know he says for weight loss 50g of carbs, WHAT are his suggestions for fat? And protein didn't he say 12oz in a day???

Okay, guess that's enough from me for now. Hope this works out! Look forward to hearing back from you and all that care to help us along this path!

Peace,
    S.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I haven't eaten enough today, but I also have a bunch of food laid out on the table in front of me. I make sure to have a bunch of snack foods in the fridge so that if I get hungry I can still eat them without having to heat them up at night (hard boiled eggs, fruit, veggies, cheese, nuts, etc). I also thought it might be a good idea to cut down on the amount today since tomorrow we're going to a rib night fundraiser for his dads baseball team... I'm going to be getting plenty of carbs there, so I figured between the two days it would even out. Plus I have a steak in the fridge to eat tomorrow morning.

@shonieb33: Welcome I did notice in your story that you and I seem fairly similar. I'm 5'1, 118 lbs and am looking to lose between 10-20 lbs of fat/ gain muscle. I know lots of people on here like myfitnesspal.com, but I prefer sparkpeople.com as it allows you to customize the grams of carbs, fats, protein, etc that you want to consume daily, plus it also tracks your water intake.

Most of the information that is in the book is already on the website through his postings and definitive guides. For protein, he says to have at least .7 grams per pound of lean body mass. If you're more active or trying to gain muscle after you've lost fat, to increase that to about a 1 gram per pound. To figure out your lean body mass, there are some pretty decent online calculators that only need you to use a measuring tape.
    As for the carb thing, you're a little off. He says if you have tons of fat to lose, or want to boost your weight loss, to stay under 50g of carbs a day, but thats for a short amount of time. If you stay under 100g, you will still lose weight, just at a slower and more normal pace. If you're fairly active or working out lots, you should be adding another 100g of carbs for every extra hour of activity.
    As for fat, you basically need to supplement the rest of your dietary intake from fat, after you've accounted for the veggies and protein.

Here are my stats:
    Lean Muscle Mass: 88lbs (roughly 27% BF)
    Protein: 65-100g
    Carbs: I'm choosing to stay around 100g. I try to let my body tell me if I need more or not on days I've been more active.
    Fat: 28-100g

RayDWeger is offline Member
    Sorry I have been busy and not checked the MDA blogs
    Absolutely friend me on MFP and you can see my initial eating patterns.

Challenges for me are mainly keeping my protein levels under 100 grams a day I am not a big sugar craver but fresh hot chips and good salsa are my heroine so I HAVE LEARNED TO NOT LET THEM BE PUT ON THE TABLE.
    Sounds like you may need to do a pantry / fridge clean to get rid of your trigger foods. Another thing that will help you feel satisfied is coconut oil and its a great source of fat that helps with your energy levels while your body is converting from using carbs / sugar as fuel to burning fat.

It's very important to look at labels or use the scanner tool on MFP to get accurate carb counts and be HONEST with your intake. There is a lot of back and forth on total carbs vs net carbs but at the end of the day a carb is a carb and I don't subtract the fiber

If you have the time get "the art and science of low carbohydrate living" and read it. It will give you a lot of science / information
    And / or Gary Taubes "good calories bad calories"

@shonieb33, hi and welcome. I can tell you that for the first couple of days it was hard but it does get easier. As an example; I loved and I saw loved beer. I had 1 last weekend (only being primal for 1 and a 1/2 weeks), I did not like the taste of it anymore. Prior to going primal.

As for the macro-nutrient count in myfitpal, click on Home, then Goals, then Change Goals, click Custom radio button and then Continue. Because I'm not active as much as I want to be, Ashley is inspiring me to be , I use the .5 to calculate my protein, which gives me just below 80g a day, then I adjusted my carbs to be below 50. I hope that helps.

Before going to the forum, my friend who has been doing this for a year told me to eat if I'm hungry. I log everything into myfitpal because if I don't I'm not confident in myself that I will get everything I need. I might be over or under. I want a good mix.

As for ketosis, I'm in it right now and have been for the past 4-days. I've lost 5lbs already, since restarting the 21-day challenge (except yesterday I was over 50g a day). But I worked in the yard non stop almost. Like Ray, I don't "Net" my carbs, that's Adkins, not PB.

Coffee was hard to switch to black, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Nestle Coffee Mate French Vanilla, it is gluten free but there are 5g of sugar per tsbp. It takes me 4 tsbp to get it to where I like it. That's not worth it to me so I'm drinking it black and I like it.

What I learned these last 2.5 weeks is make sure you get your fat in because I did not and I had issues with the fiber I was eating and not enough "grease to lube the tubes" if you get my drift. I was miserable and it was so painful that I had to drink Magnesium Citrate to clean my gut out.

Also, have you started with Mark in the "Start Here" on the Home page? Read a lot of that and the links because it's almost exactly what I'm reading in the book.

@Ray, can I have a piece of Dark Chocolate in my first 21-days? I did last night! If I can't, do I need to start the calendar over again. I tried to search in the forum but could not find it. Mark says "moderation" for red wine and chocolate in book but I don't see if it's w/in the first 21-days or after. I'm on chapter 5.

What is your name in myfitpal?

@ashley, can't wait to start tomorrow, today I'm still planting flowers in the front yard and landscaping. I wish I had a garden but my 2-year old Husky will dig it up. She did last year, then she started going to the bathroom in my garden. So, I'll have to wait until maybe next year.

My stats since starting and restarting again (same start weight, how weird) 183
    Today 177.5.

shonieb33 is offline Junior Member
    @Gwynnda, thanks so my much about the info on myfitnpal--- maybe I'll try that. I'm not as active either, at least not on a regular basis.

Question, how many grams of fat do you use?

Anywhooo, moving slow this a.m., I will check back in later.

Have a super Primal day!
    S.
    Last edited by shonieb33; 06-02-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast