Thread: coffee -- is it the reason why I've stopped losing weight? page

andygt02 is offline Junior Member

coffee -- is it the reason why I've stopped losing weight?

Shop Now
    I've always been skinny, albeit with a bit of a gut (currently 120 lbs, and yes, I'm an adult male). Going primal helped me reduce that gut somewhat, but I've stopped losing the weight. I drink a lot of coffee, probably 3 cups a day and always with cream, but never sugar. I'm also not very active right now due to an ankle injury in February.

Dairy have never been a problem for me in the past. What say you, MDA forum junkies? Cut the coffee?

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Cut the cream, not the coffee. Coffee/caffein will actually boost your metabolism. I start the day with coffee or tea. Lately I have been using a splash of coconut milk instead of cream, never any sugar. When I am in public, such as on an airplane, I usually take my coffee black since nobody seems to just have plain creamer anymore (always those little cups of "half'n'half" that contain soy, and you wonder why they don't go bad sitting warm on a shelf).
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Unless you're using a ton of cream, I don't think that's the problem. Have you looked at the rest of your diet? Coffee typically stimulates metabolism unless you drink enough to get adrenal fatigue, and 3 cups a day seems harmless enough.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    I had to cut out coffee recently, and for good I remember a podcast on one of Rob Wolf's shows where he mentioned some research showing a "possible" protein link between something found in coffee cross-reacting with antibodies associated with gluten. Well, after some n=1 experimenting, I definitely have to cut it out of my diet. I won't get into details but I was having some issues "down south" as it were, and this was ongoing for years and years. Turned out, it was the coffee.

It's unfortunate because although not a crazed coffee/caffeine addict, I did enjoy the odd cup with friends. Not to mention, it's a HUGE part of our culture. Oh well, I'll have to learn to love tea.

On a side note, one thing I found once cutting it out is the incredible amount of energy I had without it. Very bizarre, since coffee is such a stimulant. If I have one cup, I'm bouncing off the walls (heart racing, BP through the roof). But after a couple days of coffee, I'm sooooo tired in the afternoon that one cup is not enough. Forget that.

EDIT: i just re-read the OP and realized it has very little to do with coffee.....sorry about that: I saw the word "coffee" and went on a rant
    Last edited by MouthDR; 06-01-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Start strength training and as soon as your ankle heals start sprinting. How tall are you? Do you need to lose body fat over your entire body?

Don't worry about the coffee!
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.