Thread: Storing beef fat? page

rcav8r is online now Senior Member

Storing beef fat?

Shop Now
    I managed to get some grass fed beef fat. Now whats the best way to store it once I get it rendered?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I use an old pickle jar in the cupboard.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    In the freezer (broken up into small pieces after it hardens in the fridge), it will last through the zombie apocalypse.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I keep mine in the freezer as well. I like to use a variety of fats and I'd hate for any of them to go bad (especially since I buy in bulk).
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Once rendered, fat keeps very well in the fridge for weeks, in screw top glass jars. I daresay it would last for months, but mine gets used before that. Unrendered, I keep fat in the freezer.

rcav8r is online now Senior Member
    Didn't get as much as I thought. I had 3 big chunks, cut them down, removed as much flesh as I could find. Stuff the 4qt crockpot (but still lots of air), and got just under 4 cups. Lots of gristly bits and small bits of flesh leftover. Also smells a little bit odd...not rancid or anything, just kinda off?

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    Didn't get as much as I thought. I had 3 big chunks, cut them down, removed as much flesh as I could find. Stuff the 4qt crockpot (but still lots of air), and got just under 4 cups. Lots of gristly bits and small bits of flesh leftover. Also smells a little bit odd...not rancid or anything, just kinda off?
    I put my fat through a mincer before rendering it in a slow cooker - this means that almost all of the fat renders down so there is less waste, more lard. The fresher the fat - pork or beef - the less "funky" the end product smells - but I've only once had some that was too odd smelling to use. The more bits of meat / flesh you cut off before rendering, the purer the end result and also the smell!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Breadsauce. I hope to have opportunity to use this info next time I get shares in an animal. This time we only got the meat, I think the fat was sold off to a cosmetics factory.

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    I render and then put in jars but do not fill all the way. I pop them in the freezer and keep one in the fridge. When that runs out I just get one from the freezer.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I use an old pickle jar in the cupboard.
    Same.

This does assume that you aren't living anywhere that it gets hot enough to melt at room temperature though.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right