Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Lifting Routine page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Help with Lifting Routine

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks, here is what I ended up with as my lifting schedule for 3x a week. After a lot of experimenting, I don't think I recover if I lift >3x a week or if I squat on all the days. However, I want to milk 5x5 again, switching to 3x5 later.

From cardio, I do daily walking/gardening (from 45 min to 2+ hrs); 1 x a week - a run (30 min), 1x a week - a swim (30 min) and 1 hap ki do class (~ 1.5 hrs) & plan to see if I can add 20-25 min boxing every week. Some play, like shooting hoops or playing with my kid.

Does this look functional or does anything looks superfluous? I did not include warm-up sets.

Day 1

SQT 5x5 + Walk-Out, Lift Off
    Barbell Back Row 5x5
    weighted hip raise with back on the bench 3x12
    Turkish Get Up w KB: 3x5 each side

Day 2

BP 5x5
    KB 2-handed Swing or Snatches (depending on my wrist) 5x15
    Planks 3 to 5

Day 3

OHP 5x5
    DL 1x5
    Split & Jerk 5x5
    Pull-ups/chin-ups 5 sets of 2 to 4
    Overhead Barbell Walk (building up to 100 steps)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    No glaring omissions from where I stand.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    That looks like a great program. You have all the important stuff (squats, deadlifts, presses, rows, and chinups). Feel free to change the assistance exercises to suit your goals.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Thank you for the check, folks. Just wanted to add that we do push-ups weekly in some shape or form in my MA class, so I keep them out of the programming for now. I was paranoid about not squatting 3x a week, but seems to be a good decision actually, since it feels like they always get tired out in the garden and in the MA class.

I do change up or cut out assistance depending on what's available equipment-wise, time, my mood and how wiped I am.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Hi folks, here is what I ended up with as my lifting schedule for 3x a week. After a lot of experimenting, I don't think I recover if I lift >3x a week or if I squat on all the days. However, I want to milk 5x5 again, switching to 3x5 later.

From cardio, I do daily walking/gardening (from 45 min to 2+ hrs); 1 x a week - a run (30 min), 1x a week - a swim (30 min) and 1 hap ki do class (~ 1.5 hrs) & plan to see if I can add 20-25 min boxing every week. Some play, like shooting hoops or playing with my kid.

Does this look functional or does anything looks superfluous? I did not include warm-up sets.

Day 1

Barbell Back Row 5x5
    weighted hip raise with back on the bench 3x12
    Turkish Get Up w KB: 3x5 each side

Day 2

BP 5x5
    KB 2-handed Swing or Snatches (depending on my wrist) 5x15
    Planks 3 to 5

Day 3

OHP 5x5
    DL 1x5
    Split & Jerk 5x5
    Pull-ups/chin-ups 5 sets of 2 to 4
    I'd modify it a bit:

Day 1
    Squat 5x5 Moderate intensity, about 85% of your 5RM
    OHP/BP (alternate each week) 5x5 Moderate intensity, about 85% of your 5RM
    Pull-ups/chin-ups 5 sets
    Turkish Get Up w KB: 3x5 each side (left from your workout)

Day 2
    Squat 2x5 Light, about 80% of your Day 1 weight
    BP/OHP (if you did bench on Day 1, this is OHP, and vice versa) 3x5, light intensity
    Split & Jerk 5x5
    Planks 3 to 5 (left from your workout)

Day 3
    Squat 1x5 heavy
    OHP/BP 1x5 heavy
    DL 1x5

This will allow you for more recovery, since you're not squatting 5x5 two workouts in a row, and should let you progress better. This is the general Texas Method template, by the way. The deadlift is on day 3, which is the intensity day, officially, it's on day 1, the volume day. You can play around and see which is better for you.

That's a very interesting suggestion. I need BBR, as I find that my back is my limiting factor in basically all lifts. I also achieve the best muscle growth when I do 5x5 even if it is lighter than less sets of heavier reps. I heard that women need more sets, maybe that's why, just dunno.

I wonder if I can do 1 set of heavy squats, 5x5 BBR and 1x5 DL on Day 3, if I put 2 days recovery between Day 1 and Day 2?

That's a very interesting suggestion. I need BBR, as I find that my back is my limiting factor in basically all lifts. I also achieve the best muscle growth when I do 5x5 even if it is lighter than less sets of heavier reps. I heard that women need more sets, maybe that's why, just dunno.

I wonder if I can do 1 set of heavy squats, 5x5 BBR and 1x5 DL on Day 3, if I put 2 days recovery between Day 1 and Day 2?
    You could probably do BBRs after deadlifts on Day 3. So maybe (dropped Overhead Barbell Walk and replaced with BBRs):

Day 3
    Squat 1x5 heavy
    OHP/BP 1x5 heavy
    DL 1x5
    BBRs 5x5

I would be careful adding other lifts, in general. Many times, less is more.

By the way, why do you think your back is the limiting factor and why do you think BBRs are a necessity to fix it? Hard to imagine heavy deadlifts and chin/pull-ups would leave you with insufficient back strengthening.

I am very much with you on not adding lifts, and actually taking unnecessary ones down. I think I will give a shot to your suggestion of subbing overhead walk and keeping 3 OHP/BPs.

I keel forward on sqt, and have tough time keeping upper back strong on the BP as well. BBR seem to help with the upper back. I started on the older version of 5x5 back when BBR were out, but when they were added back in, I seem to have improved. I seem to feel that movement in the upper back when I row, and it is heavier lift than BP or OHP for me. Does it make any sense or am I totally confused?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I am very much with you on not adding lifts, and actually taking unnecessary ones down. I think I will give a shot to your suggestion of subbing overhead walk and keeping 3 OHP/BPs.

I keel forward on sqt, and have tough time keeping upper back strong on the BP as well. BBR seem to help with the upper back. I started on the older version of 5x5 back when BBR were out, but when they were added back in, I seem to have improved. I seem to feel that movement in the upper back when I row, and it is heavier lift than BP or OHP for me. Does it make any sense or am I totally confused?
    What do you mean "keel forward?" Are you unable to maintain spinal extension, or is the bar getting forward of your balance point?

Barbell rows being stronger than bench press (which should be stronger than standing press) is not abnormal, and you should indeed feel them in your upper back.

I think I will give a shot to your suggestion of subbing overhead walk and keeping 3 OHP/BPs.
    Just remember that the setup is: volume, recovery, intensity. Moderately intense 5x5 press on Day 1 (volume), the other press 2-3x5 light on Day 2 (recovery), and 1x1-5 intensity press on Day 3.

So if you bench 100lb 5RM and press 60lb 5RM, two weeks would go approximately as follows:

Day 1 - Bench 85lb 5x5
    Day 2 - Press 40lb 2-3x5
    Day 3 - Bench 100lb 1x5 (when this fails you can switch to triples, doubles, singles, and eventually reset to 5s)
    Day 1 Week 2 - Press 45lb 5x5
    Day 2 Week 2 - Bench 75lb 2-3x5
    Day 3 Week 2 - Press 60lb 1x5 (same as above)

Add weight every week. So if you succeed at the above, next bench is 87.5-90lb 5x5 and 102.5-105lb 1x5, depending on how much you are able to add. If recovery from Day 1 is an issue, consider using a bit less weight, or not going up in weight on Day 1 every week, or doing fewer sets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast