Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30 for June 2013 - Who's In? page 8

roggg is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Day 3 went well for me, but day 4 I committed a faux pas. Forgot to bring water to my beach volleyball game, and the captain brought some drinks so I ended up having a coke. Which is really weird for me...I used to drink it all the time, but since going with PB, this may be the second or third I've had in 2013. It's not something that was hard to quit, or that I miss particularly. Odd that this would be my transgression when I have a block of 5 year cheddar half eaten in my fridge.

But everything's been on point since then.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Today went pretty darn well, though it is becoming apparent how much I rely on non-primal things to get my carb # up. It's hard for me to get enough carbs in and really have to learn a better way.

The approach thus far has been about 80/20 for the W30 for the first few days with the goal to ween myself off the remaining 20%, as I use things already purchased. Don't really have the choice to toss and start over on a few items. Being the first attempt at W30, I'm doing what I can!

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Good day so far. Just had to navigate around the cupcakes in the tearoom.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Today went pretty darn well, though it is becoming apparent how much I rely on non-primal things to get my carb # up. It's hard for me to get enough carbs in and really have to learn a better way.

The approach thus far has been about 80/20 for the W30 for the first few days with the goal to ween myself off the remaining 20%, as I use things already purchased. Don't really have the choice to toss and start over on a few items. Being the first attempt at W30, I'm doing what I can!
    Spk, what you can do is start your Whole 30 when you're ready to commit to a clean 30 days. If not, you're not doing a Whoe 30. It's like saying you're. Vegan but you eat bacon. They dont go together. There is no 80/20, that's Primal Blueprint. Mixing programs isn't he point. It's easy to get your carb punt up. I eat two pieces of fruit and 1/2 to a whole sweet potato daily.

Leida, I have a tested egg sensitivity. While I ate them all the time on PB, I wanted off them for at least 30 days to then reintroduce and see if I react. That's the only way to really know. W30 has eggs. They are not a nightshade. But they are part of the autoimmune protocol as so many are sensitive to them.

Day 37 for me. Food is relatively easy at this point. There are foods I eat and foods I don't eat. I pick from the first column three times a day. I'm doing at least 1.5 hours of exercise daily. I feel great. My slump of week three is a distant memory, but it sucked going though it.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Calee, We get what you are saying. A true W30 is by the rules with no slips. I'm happy that that has worked out for you. I personally don't post over at whole9life because I know that they expect w30 to be done perfectly.

I think that we should use this thread to support each other towards reaching the best Whole 30 we can within the month of June. Yes, for best results, perfection would be great, but that is not always possible. I had three off items in the first few days, but I have been clean since and am continuing with my June w30. In the end, I plan to live W30 for life and have dairy and sweeteners only for holidays etc. So a few mess ups are no big deal.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Do any of us actually follow Whole30 to a tee? Do we buy our bacon from US Wellness Meats or from our butcher down the street who may use a teensy tiny bit of sugar? Do we all buy 100% organic vegetables and fruits? Do we all avoid every single drop of condiments? If not, then we're not truly doing Whole30... but that's not the point. The point is that we're doing the best we can with what we have available to us and with what fits into our family budgets. When it's your first one, you're bound to make mistakes. I ate a cupcake on my first one, and then only made it to day 25. Whole30 is hard unless you're used to the Primal Blueprint or Paleo way of eating and have done it for a while. This is my easiest Wholewhatever, but I've also been primal for a year.

Whole30 is supposed to be an elimination diet. Eliminate possible inflammatory foods for 30 days, see if they affect you when it's done. I agree that it should be done properly if used to find food intolerances. But as a reset, like most of us use it for, slips are negligible as long as you make them very seldom. For me, my slips include condiments, commercial meats, etc. I'm not 100% compliant, but my goals are not elimination to find food intolerances. My goals are to reset and rebuild self-discipline around food. I think how closely you follow the Whole30 is dependent on your goals.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I pretty much follow W30 to a T, i.e not a drop of condiments, home-made bacon, everything organic that I can buy organic, no butter, etc, but I dunno. My sardines in the can say sardines and spring water. Who is to say that it's true? So, I agree, the best I can do.

So, I am almost done with my kimchi, maybe 2-3 days left worth of it, and after that I will do the anit-inflammation thing with no eggs and no nightshades. I have never eliminated eggs before, so it will be a bit challenging.

Anyway, today I am playing with the 15th century style of eating, been reading the Richard the III book, and the 15th century wisdom was get up at 5 am, dinner at 9 am, supper at 5 pm and go to bed at 9 pm. A bit different hours, but I am gonna try two large meals (~ 10 am and 6 pm) today. Just for kicks. That's what the day offs are for, lol.

Just brpought in a load of groceries and soil, now garden awaits!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

KT79 is offline Member
    I just finished a Whole 60 that was very strict. It's certainly possible to do, but it isn't easy. I don't know - I've gotten used to saying 'no' to things because I have celiac disease and I'm very sensitive, so a lot of things are out for me anyway. I'm sure that made it a lot easier for me. Also, all my family and friends know I've got celiac, so no one thinks it's weird when I turn down food or show up for a visit with my own meals, so I don't get the pressure that many people probably do regarding the diet.

I also found several dishes I liked and just kept eating them. Breakfast for most of my Whole 60 was sweet potato curry with poached eggs. Lunch was a salad with a can of fish, dressed with lemon juice and olive oil. Dinner changed more often, but was frequently grass-fed beef with a big plate of vegetables. My husband likes to cook, so he also made us a lot of Indian curries that were compliant. I didn't eat out at all, and I didn't keep things that were off-plan in the house.

I do think Whole30 emphasizes a perfection that may not be necessary for many people. But it is only 30 days, and you may surprise yourself with the results.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    It's like saying you're. Vegan but you eat bacon.
    My observation is that many people do it many ways in an attempt to learn how elimination eating impacts them. And only having realized how 'specific' W30 is, I'm finding the way there. Completely understand and want to experience the value of a strict adherence W30. But I won't allow desire for perfection to keep me from attempting to learn how this will benefit me.

For nearly 20 years I tried to be a vegetarian, never realizing how that was impacting my health negatively. And always wondered why, when I got my regular migaines, did I crave turkey, if I was a vegetarian? I always felt a little guilty calling myself a Veg when I knew protein helped me.

That's how I found Primal; researching protein and migraines. So theres an example where saying your 'vegan but eating bacon' actually brought me to a place of health. It's not a negative. For me, it's being open to learning what works.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I also feel that one of the values of W30 is noticing when you trip up on something that is not obvious and eliminating this product in the future. For example, grain mustard I normally buy have something added to it, not just mustard. So, no mustard for me, lol.

It is also more complicated to maintain W30 when you are the cook of the family.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast