Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30 for June 2013 - Who's In? page 7

HelenLouise is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Total total bummer about the bacon!! I guess my daughter will be eating it, lucky girl.

Sleep is goooooood!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HopelessDreamer View Post
    spk
    why would refusing to take food you don't eat be rude? are you throwing it in the garbage anyway? returning it to the store? surely you aren't eating it, so why take it?
    I guess I don't understand why it is not rude for people to push us into taking something we don't want/cant use/don't need, but it is rude to refuse to accept something that is garbage.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    As for the not refusing the garbage -- They are giving ppl and come from way of being that does not take well to No thanks. In fact, that usually gets them puffed up, offended and I have to answer a host of ??'s, all of which lead back to me asserting that I, in fact, judge how they eat.

You know that's what happens. It becomes less about my choice and all about what my choice says about theirs. Otherwise, they wouldn't be offended. Believe me, if someone knew a way to handle the parental dance, I take that lesson in a nano sec!

(I agree w/ your suggestion that it's rude of pushers to push)
    This sounds like a "pick your battles" situation. Best to take the garbage and either give it away or throw it away when you get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Most bacon available commercially has some stuff added to it, nitrites, celery salt, what have you. That makes it a food that could trigger problems, hence it is not used during W30. I cure my own bacon in the good old Eastern Europenian way, with just salt, pepper, garlic etc, and I use it during W30 if I feel like it.
    How do you cure your own bacon? I'm interested as DH and I will be acquiring a pig in the near future and I'd like to not have it conventionally cured.

This is day 37 for me. I started April 29th. Planning to go through June. I didn't weigh the first 15 days, but did on day 16 and have since been weighing pretty regularly. I will be putting an end to that as well for the remainder of my wholewhatever.

Doing well. Found a few regular food items that shouldn't contain ingredients do in fact contain ingredients. For instance, my frozen chicken breasts have added chicken broth (we call them the incredible shrinking chicken tits b/c they shrink HORRIBLY while cooking as the broth boils out) and said chicken broth contains carrageenan... wtf? Seriously? And I've cheated a bit with a bit of bbq sauce (on said chicken) and ketchup (on a meatloaf), but I'm about 95% compliant - those are my only discrepancies. I won't be having the chicken breasts again for the remainder of the wholewhatever. After the wholewhatever ends, I will reintroduce dairy and natural sweeteners like maple and honey. I've found some recipes I'm interested in trying out but can't til the wholewhatever is over.

For bacon, I use Farmland (commercial) uncured. It has a teeny tiny bit of turbinado sugar in it, but the grams per serving is 0, so I go with it. it's close enough for government work as far as I'm concerned.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's very easy, Jen. The original thread was here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34748.html

But I simplified it even farther by trying to recall what my grandmother did. Basically I just cut the pork belly into manageable blocks, about 1-1.5 lbs each, elongated, and mixed my cure. I put cosher salt, fenugreek, paprica and black pepper in mine (as ling as you have salt, the rest is your choice). Added about 1/2 inch layer of cure on the bottom of a glass baking/casserole dish. Rubbed the rest of the cure + roughly shopped garlic onto the slabs. Packed them tighly into the dish. Covered with a dish towel. Put in the fridge. Once a day rotated and -re-rubbed in the cure (I just dumped all of it in/on/under). Did that for about a week. Then brushed off excess cure, rubbed each piece tightly into a few layers of wax paper, tied with a rubber band and store in the freezer. Slice in very thin slices with a sharp knife frozen, or let sit for a few minutes (but not defrost) if I want a bigger slice. Eat cold or fry as normal bacon.

If you have a smoker you can smoke them pieces after curing too.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    I did a radical step to skip the gym this morning
    Leida,
    Me too! SOOO tired today, even though I did go to sleep early last night. Oh, well. I'll figure it out, just as I am figuring out that I am also SOOOO hungry today.
    What is up? Luckily, I don't have much that cant wait to be done, and I did at least walk to the store, and got some sun.
    I'll just count it as my day off, since I know the rest of the week is busy.
    HelenLouise,welcome - the learning curve and shock about food additives is disturbing to me, too! I had some trouble at the beginning of May with off-plan ingredients in my food. But now I am wiser, and I have decided to keep going past 30 days to really ingrain the new habits and tastes. (no desire for coffee, and weaning away from chocolate and added sweets.)

It's amazing how subconscious putting food in your mouth is. My daughter wanted sushi today for lunch and she wanted some soy sauce, even though I didn't think she'd like it, I put 2 drops in. Of course she decided she didn't like it. So avoiding the rice, I picked out the tuna and put it in my mouth. Then of course realised, dammit I just put soy sauce in my mouth. Same the the choc cake I was trying to get rid of the other day. I was giving it to my daughter and a crumb got stuck on my finger, so I just put it in my mouth. Then only think about it after I've already done it. Sigh.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I'm up to day 5 now (nearly over) and I've been pretty darn compliant! I'm feeling more energy now than I did earlier in the week and my caffeine withdrawal headache is gone!

My issue will come on Friday when I've arranged to meet a friend for lunch. Obviously I'll choose something as compliant as possible but I can't guarantee it 100%. I'm not going to let it put me off track though!

Ohhh and my husband's birthday is on the 11th so that will also be interesting. He knows I'm doing the Whole30 though so I'm sure that he'll be happy to go out somewhere I can have a decent meal.

I'm currently contemplating whether I will keep going longer than 30 days or if I'll just add back a couple of things and keep eating pretty much as I now apart from that. Really the only things I want back are Greek yoghurt and butter! Oh and the ability to add sweetener to things! Not much or often... I just prefer peppermint tea with honey!

You sound like me Iron Fireling. My caffeine headaches gone and wasn't feeling as hungry today.

HelenLouise, I hear you, particularly with the kids and their messy plates. But over time it gets better. Basically retraining yourself to simply sweep the plate into garbage, lunch box for tomorrow or compost bucket avoiding the step of licking or picking is the key. The saving are negligible, and benefit to health is huge. Last time I did W30 I did the cake decorating 1, and we were covered in butter-cream icing every Monday for all 4 weeks! Talk about no licking! But that actually gave me a good experience. Yesterday we had cupcakes at the meeting at work, and I packed two for my hubby and my kiddo without even thinking about eating them. It is firmly entrenched as no food in my mind, more like toys.

Ohhh and my husband's birthday is on the 11th so that will also be interesting. He knows I'm doing the Whole30 though so I'm sure that he'll be happy to go out somewhere I can have a decent meal.
    Steakhouses are awesome for a Primal/W30 celebration.

I am starting to feel more rested, so skipping gym was the right thing to do. Will see if I do some cardio while my baby is in her Swim class today. Boxing would be ideal, seeing the Gleason gym book is in the lib for me, but boxing bag might not be up & last time some girls were practicing some dancing in the studio. I think this time, I will just barge in and put the bag up and to hell with courtesy. Otherwise it's treadmill....

I need to make it home on the double after work, make egg and chicken/beef salad for my folks for supper, pick my kiddo up, get her to swim class, get her home and then it's plant exchange at 7 pm till 8 pm (and kiddo comes with me if my hubby is still at work by 7). Busy night Packed a bit more fruit/carbs today in an anticipation of a prolonged day (up at 4:15 am, anticipate to go to bed no earlier than 9 pm ): a banana for a mug cake for breakky, raspberries and strawberries with chicken and broth lunch and baby carrots just in case in addition to radishes and cucs to see me through to getting home by 4 pm.

Luckily, I am taking tomorrow off (gardening & a PT appt, how much better can it be, yay!)
    Last edited by Leida; 06-05-2013 at 05:49 AM.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Day 36 of a clean WholeWhatever. My opinion is that it's a Whole 30 for a reason. It's a clean month of eating to allow our guts to heal. At that point we can add foods back in to see how we feel. I am also abstaining from nightshades and eggs because of sensitivities. I think that when we tell ourselves that eating flour or other products is acceptable, we open the door or other slippery behavior. The point of W 30 is 30. Why rob yourself of the opportunity to do some healing. Each slip takes the healing process back.

While its not a diet, some of us hope to shed a pound or two. I personally was hoping to take off 5 pounds. I had been working on those 5 since starting PB on January 1st. I tried all the hacks, eat more fat, ketosis, everything I saw others doing. Nothing worked for me. Whole 30 had me shed 4.6 pounds in those 30 days. I was quite pleased. I was already at a healthy BMI but had put on 5 last fall after a surgery, new desk job and Decmber travel that included lots of sugar and flour.

Go for the W 30 opportunity if you can. You can have all those other foods later.

Calee, I am planning on eliminating nightshades once I finish my kimchi with red pepper flakes, and the more I plan around it, the easier it seems to achieve. But I am worried about eggs. Normally, I don't want to eliminate anything I plan to eat in the future, and not eating eggs is worry some. Can you share your experiences?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast