Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30 for June 2013 - Who's In? page 12

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Jenn, yep, it's amazing how angrily the body reacts to crap in food once it cleans itself out. If you feel unwell, I would wait 72 or more hours before bringing dairy on board, otherwise, you might get confusing signals about you ability to consume it. Good luck in your new protocol!

All is well here, though I had a thought of bread for the first time since forever this morning. Weird.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm coming back to Whole30. Up 4 lbs in just as many days. Not pleased. I've been perfectly Primal since Sunday morning, so there's no reason for the gain other than to conclude dairy and I are no longer friends. Maybe once I reach maintenance, but right now I am so tired of the yoyo-ing that I'm willing to give up dairy 90% of the time. I say 90% b/c DH will NOT be ok with losing out on some of our family's favorite dairy containing dinner dishes. Since Sunday morning I have had heavy cream, butter, parmesan cheese and 1 Kraft Singles sliced "cheese". And I've gained 4 lbs.

I'm going to ditch the dairy products again and see if the 4 lbs melt away quickly. If they do, then I'll conclude that dairy could be a problem.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I let me Whole30 lapse on Saturday after 48 clean days and 16 lbs lost. My husband decided we needed to go out to eat and since we eat steak sometimes 2x per week now that I cook primally/paleo, a steak at a restaurant is not anything special to him anymore. He was concerned about what I would eat and was having trouble picking a restaurant b/c of that (he only likes a handful of restaurants and hybrid restaurants like Village Inn and Applebee's that have a huge menu of many different things are not enjoyable for him), so I told him to just pick a place and I'd make it work. Well, he picked Buffalo Wild Wings and there is just NO working around anything in that place... I got traditional wings (to avoid gluten) and the wedges (because they're good). The next day I woke up so stiff and sore that I felt and looked 90 years old! My ankles were so stiff I could barely walk from the bed to the bathroom (6 foot distance), and my neck was so stiff I could barely turn my head. My back creaked and my knees ached. It was horrible. Today I'm suffering the digestive repercussions. And my run sucked (time-wise - but that may have been due to the 85 degree temp too).

On the plus side, though, I have not dove face first into a bowl of sugar so maybe 48 days was enough to finally switch things in my brain to not want sugar??

I am going to reintroduce dairy, but everything else will remain whole30, except maybe white potatoes once a week or so - white potatoes are a food with no breaks for me.
    Sounds like you got glutened. They may dusted both the wings and potatoes with flour. Last time I got seriously glutened I said I felt like a 95 year old in bad shape.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Sounds like you got glutened. They may dusted both the wings and potatoes with flour. Last time I got seriously glutened I said I felt like a 95 year old in bad shape.
    Quite possible. Could have been a combination of that and soybean oil. I wondered if the wedges were contaminated b/c they are 'seasoned'. It's very likely that there was gluten on either food item. Cross contamination is always a possibility too. I'm sure the boneless and traditional wings are fried in the same grease, not to mention prepared on the same surfaces.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I am still working my June w30 to the best of my ability. Being a binger, 30 clean days is still beyond me.

Truly,The only thing I haven't messed up is the no weighing bit. I am surprised at my restraint.

After June, I plan to continue living w30 (clean paleo) most of the time.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 06-20-2013 at 06:49 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Cross contamination is always a possibility too. I'm sure the boneless and traditional wings are fried in the same grease, not to mention prepared on the same surfaces.
    That's a reason I have never ordered deep-fried food in a restaurant. None of them have the dedicated fryers it would take to keep french fries from being cross-contaminated

Ideally, we would have had dinner at a steakhouse, but since we started following primal/paleo, steak is a regular thing on our plate, so steakhouses are no longer "special". He wanted something we don't typically eat at home, so he chose there. I thought I'd be able to navigate the menu decently, and did what I could aside from ordering a salad with nothing on it, which leaves essentially just a double price head of lettuce. We should have eaten elsewhere, but it's ok. I survived.

Jenn, I regularly have the 2-4 lbs overnight gains, and I find that a day of low calories + dandelion tea, for me it's just dinner, normally takes care of at least half the gain. These quick bulges are not so much creeping weight gain, as shifts in water and inflammatory responses.

As for dairy, I too decided to avoid it, though I long have become accustomed to eating a different supper than my folks. Tonight I am making solyanka (cabbage, local fresh sausages, tomatoes, celery etc braise) but won't be eating it due to potential sugar in the sausages and tomatoes. Instead, I will either finish my beef tongue or have tons of fruit. Well, yesterday I was eating a lot and wanna do a low cal day to compensate. Obviously, it is 10 am, I was only up for 6.5 hrs, so I might feel differently by 2 pm, lol!

The weight gain isn't the only concern. I've had some mild IBS symptoms all day long - a constant gurlging in my gut and other signs of digestive upset. And I've started to notice some minor skin breakouts. Dairy has always contributed to acne for me, and after so much time without it, I'm not really interested in having it back, ya know?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am glad to hear your skin clears without dairy! Wish it was so for me, but I think I am more of a fructose-break-outer.

For me what sealed it about dairy was that they apparently feed dairy to mice to cause cataracts. Seeing I am a high risk being light-colored, I decided that dairy is not worth it. Plus, apart from raw cheese we can't get anything else raw in Canada, so to me it looks that the stars are aligned!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast