Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My trainer wants me on a fat free diet, why is this??? page

Skyemom11 is offline Junior Member

My trainer wants me on a fat free diet, why is this???

Primal Fuel
    I am considering working with a trainer because I've reached a plateau in my weight loss, and I've noticed that my form is really off on body weight exercises and I've developed some joint pain and chronic pain.

I chose this trainer because he believes that weight lifting is the best way to lose weight, not cardio. I've talked to several trainers who want me to do upwards of 70% cardio to lose weight, so it was nice to find someone who wanted to focus on weight.

Anyway, the problem is that he wants me to follow this 1:1 protein to carb diet with negligible fat, and that just sounds bad. I know it's part of the conventional wisdom, but this guy has been doing this for 20 years, and what he does works. What I want to know is, why??? I'm trying to explain to him why I don't want to follow a fat-free diet, and my reasoning of "when I don't eat fat, I get cranky and depressed" doesn't seem convincing. I'm just SO surprised that he's on with the weight training vs chronic cardio, but is still living in the fat-free world.

Any amount of light anyone can shine on this conundrum is appreciated!!!!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Because you lose weight the fastest without fat. Yes, it works, yes it's easier to lose in a short term. It is a normal cutting protocol in a BB world. He doesn't take into account your stability, blood sugar levels and satiety. He assumes that you would do anything to lose weight in short term. If high fat diet is what keeps you steadily losing, change your goal, and tell him you want to focus on muscle gain and maintenance instead of fat loss per se. That's said, trying a different macro set up is not a bad thing. Going zero fat is not the best idea, but 20-30% can do the trick sometimes (just like reducing carbs does sometimes).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Because you lose weight the fastest without fat. Yes, it works, yes it's easier to lose in a short term.
    This exactly. It works, but is unsustainable, so his clients come back to him when they've regained the weight.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    This exactly. It works, but is unsustainable, so his clients come back to him when they've regained the weight.
    That is total bs. You guys are saying "I can't get rid of this extra 5-10% body fat on this high fat diet." Then claim a high carb diet will get you there but is not sustainable??? So go back to the high fat that prevented you from loosing that last weight to begin with?

Even on this form it seems like most of the guys at 8-12% body fat are the ones advocating carbs. Some guy months ago all the girls were oodling at his abs talking about how he eats up to 5 bananas a day, etc. For a lot of people high fat can get you healthy and loose a lot of weight.. especially if you are not working out..but if you want to get down to 8-12% (as a guy) and you are working out you better up your carbs. Proclaiming all these trainers are professional scammers who just want you to stay fat in the end.. and fail at their job is ridiculous.

No, they are not professional scamers. I am sorry if you got this impression from my post. The cutting protocol, with high protein and high carb, and zero fat is perfectly workable, but it is a cutting protocol. They are designed to reduce weight, not to maintain weight; as such they are not natural and require strong will-power and substances to maintain (coffee, glucomannan, ephedrin, etc). The weight maintenance is a complex issue, with a focus on finding what makes an individual comfortable & sated & happy on maintenance calories to prevent the body from rolling the weight right back up by ramping up appetite (natural responce). The OP seem to be able to maintain (what she describes as a stall) on high fat diet and describes herself as being happy with it. It stands to reason that she will not be able to sustain high protein/high carb in the long run from her post. Other people might.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-31-2013 at 06:28 AM.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    I do agree low fat can be taken to a silly extreme when avoiding healthy foods like eggs, etc of course. At the same time OP should try upping her carb intake when working out.. it will be more likely to help loose that last body fat. The trainer might be extreme in how much low fat he is requesting.. but she might as well give it a shot. If she ends up loosing the weight then adding back a little fat in foods.. but still staying higher carb won't necessarily make her weight come back. What would probably make her weight come back after loosing it.. is simply going back to eating as much fat as she does now.

Also, how is a low fat diet not sustainable? Assuming it is not taken to the extreme I know quite a few family members who lost a lifetime of fat and kept it off to this day. You shouldn't be afraid to try different things. Sometimes you diet is great.. but that does not mean an alternate diet is bad for you or someone else.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    Also, how is a low fat diet not sustainable? Assuming it is not taken to the extreme
    In my opinion, a 'neglible' fat diet as mentioned by the OP is extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    You shouldn't be afraid to try different things. Sometimes you diet is great.. but that does not mean an alternate diet is bad for you or someone else.
    Agree completely - I'm macronutrient-ratio agnostic.

In my opinion, a 'neglible' fat diet as mentioned by the OP is extreme.
    +1. Even 10-15% fat may be unsustainable in the long run, as it leads to unbalanced blood sugar, hypoglycemia & appetite out of hell. Well, my personal experience, lol. That is why I was suggesting to experiment with 25-35% fat range rather than virtually zero.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    You have options....
    Why not train with the guy and cut some fat and add some carbs and see where that gets you.

Most very fit and lean people don't eat the amounts of fat that some people eat here. I'm not saying you need to go "no fat" (though you could try), but maybe consider his advice.

Skyemom11 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks, everyone for the tips and pointers! I don't think this guy is a scammer; he says with his plan and the workouts, I can lose about 20 pounds in one month, and that's his goal, and he wants me to achieve that goal. I don't want to achieve that goal, I want something maintainable that I can learn to stick with, and I've learned from experience that is not tiny amounts of fat. And I want to learn how to lift and do bodyweight exercises without hurting myself.

I'm eating less fat than lots of people here, but the only fat he wants me to eat is from cooking spray, and I've learned from experience that this style of eating will make me horribly depressed and really irritable. I'm eating a good balance, but I feel better when my carbs come from veggies and fruits as opposed to rice and baked potatoes, and I get fat from egg yolks (he wants me just to eat the whites).

My reason for asking was more because I was afraid that eating low carbs while working out would backfire on me, rather than wanting to criticize him.

Just FYI, I started primal eating last summer and since then have lost 40 pounds. I have another 30 to lose, so it's not exactly the last bit of fat. Also, I have a 2-year-old daughter to take care of every day, and I can't take care of her while feeling like I'm about to be sucked into a black hole, which is generally how I feel on diets with negligible fat.

My plan is to stick with primal eating, just eat a little less, which I can do. But, I didn't want to make that decision without consulting some different sources, and you guys have been very informative, so thanks!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast