Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbell training question. page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

Barbell training question.

Primal Fuel
    So I've been doing strong lifts for about a 6 weeks now and I love it, and I don't intend on quitting but I wanted to make sure I had the best program.
    I made a previous thread about changing from 5x5 to 3x5 for Stronglifts, but as I understand it, aside from power cleans (instead I do rows) it is essentially SS?

So, my plan was to keep doing the Strong lifts prgram but change down to 3x5? Will that work better? in the long run to milk as much gain?

My goals at the moment is gaining strength, with a secondary focus on mass.
    As I understand it, 3x5 is better in the long run because when the weight starts getting heavy it becomes too much to do 5x5?

My weight is 78kg, Male, 19yo, 5'10.

prufock is offline Member
    Stronglifts already incorporates 3x5. When you stall and deload twice on an exercise, you switch to 3x5. When you stall and deload twice on 3x5, you switch to 1x5. This may mean you're doing 3 reps of one exercise and 5 reps of another. Starting from a low weight you'll see pretty fast linear gains on 5x5. I say stick with 5x5 until you stall twice. Why do you want to change it?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    5 x 5 is a lot of volume for 3 days a week. That's one of the main criticisms the Starting Strength people have of Stronglifts. Ultimately, you gotta decide what makes the most sense to you and go with it. But I like 3 x 5 for novices, if you're taking a poll.

Yeah, that's the doubts I had with it where based around the volume. I was thinking on just dropping down to 3x5 to reduce volume.

Also, if I do this, I will have significantly more time in the gym, and more energy. I was thinking on incorporating something like, dips/pull-ups.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Yeah, that's the doubts I had with it where based around the volume. I was thinking on just dropping down to 3x5 to reduce volume.

Also, if I do this, I will have significantly more time in the gym, and more energy. I was thinking on incorporating something like, dips/pull-ups.
    You want to reduce main exercise volume so you can add accessory work volume? Don't major in the minors. Lower the volume so you can increase the intensity (amount of weight) and make 1 change at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You want to reduce main exercise volume so you can add accessory work volume? Don't major in the minors. Lower the volume so you can increase the intensity (amount of weight) and make 1 change at a time.

Yeah your right, ill stick with the basics. Basically, I'm not sure if 3x5 or 5x5 is a better approach. Stronglifts says 5x5, SS says 3x5.
    Where I have doubts about SL is because Mehdi isn't a proper strength coach, and does come across as talking out of his arse. (even though the program is free, easy to follow and useful)

Where as, 3x5 is the standard recommendation for strength, tooted by the SS crowed.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Yeah your right, ill stick with the basics. Basically, I'm not sure if 3x5 or 5x5 is a better approach. Stronglifts says 5x5, SS says 3x5.
    Where I have doubts about SL is because Mehdi isn't a proper strength coach, and does come across as talking out of his arse. (even though the program is free, easy to follow and useful)

Where as, 3x5 is the standard recommendation for strength, tooted by the SS crowed.
    Keep in mind that Mehdi is a second hand source. He's a dude that read about this stuff, and then put together a site to make some money off it. He doesn't have a lot of experience coaching and his knowledge does not seem particularly deep.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Keep in mind that Mehdi is a second hand source. He's a dude that read about this stuff, and then put together a site to make some money off it. He doesn't have a lot of experience coaching and his knowledge does not seem particularly deep.
    Exactly, but its not like the information he gives is particularly wrong. Its still the basics and is still all good info. Seriously, the only question i have is do i cpntinue 5x5 or change it to 3x5?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think he comes off as sort of a used-car salesman. Also, his unsubscribe link doesn't work.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think he comes off as sort of a used-car salesman. Also, his unsubscribe link doesn't work.
    Yeah, the emails are friggen annoying.

BUT. that being said, Barbells aint rocket science and whether or not he's a massive douche, the information is still good.

Awkward, no one has answered my question Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast