Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Day? page

evil_O Guest

Primal Fuel

OK... so I/we are just getting started with PB. We have done very well over the past 3 weeks or so. Have revamped our pantry, fridge, everything. Today however, well....

We broke down and had Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Other than the meat and some of the toppings, nothing really fit into PB. But boy was it ever good. Just nice to have a treat every now and then. We don't like the sounds of cheat meal, but rather choose the word "free meal" or "free day."

Just thought I would share. Makes the guilt feel a bit better ;-)

BTW, Five Guys is brand new here. Boy is it good. Everything is fried in peanut oil... if that helps. LOL.

Adam Steer Guest

Hey there,

Mark often talks of using 80/20 as a guideline. We're all going to indulge in some of the modern (and sometimes evil) comforts of life. It wouldn't be very Grok-like to stress out about it. Just make sure that most of your 20% indulgence consists of sensible vices and enjoy anything else that wanders into your path.

Congrats on getting started with the PB!

Cheers,

Adam

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I couldn't do it. When I indulge I go through a week of cravings. For the most part I've gotten to the point where I just have to avoid such treats so I don't have to go through the cravings.

If it works for you though, and it doesn't interfere with your goals, don't stress about it.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I find that after a free day I spent the next two getting back to where I was. So, three days lost. Is it worth it? That's an individual answer. For me, no.

Florian Guest

Well that article should give you an idea. Dont't feel guilty rather enjoy life.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8020-principle/

evil_O Guest

Thanks for the responses.

OnTheBayou, I agree. I am coming from a "Body for Life" style of eating - 6 small meals a day consisting of a carb and protein. Then one "free day." In the beginning stages of BFL I would indulge ALL day long on free day. The next day I would feel horrible. So, as time would have it, the day turned into more like a meal here and there during my "free day."

One of the things I like about PB is the 80/20 concept. Sort of fits with BFL (if one of very few things). So it has been easy for me to carry over. I don't really have cravings at this point but it was nice to take my girls out to a place they wanted to go, and indulge along with them. I also had more than two glasses of red wine last night ;-)

At any rate, even when I was on BFL I still would feel a bit guilty after "free day" even though it was 'allowed.' I guess that is carrying over into PB for me... just a bit.

So, did I engage in a entire "free day?" Nope, not at all. Just had 5 guys (and that is a place for your 20% IMO) and a couple more glasses of wine than just 2. How do I feel today? I feel great. It is a rest day for CrossFit and not even a hint of a hangover.

I am taking time out today for a bit of reading, relaxation, and then I am off to the store to by a food processor! Then work ...

Still feel a built guilty. I am the only one doing that to myself but in the end I know I will be OK.

Does anyone have a place/food they look forward to at say week's end? Something a bit outside PB but still allows you to stay inline with PB (80/20 concept)?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

It's the wine!

I find when I have, um, 5 (or more) glasses of wine my weight drops a lot due to dehydration the next day and then as I rehydrate, it goes back up.

I did read something that seemed to have some good research citations about ketosis and drinking alcohol. The ketosis stops, being easier to for the body to grab and run with.

But who's running while drinking anyway??????

Florian Guest

Well then you certainly have never been chased by the police being drunk as a lord OnTheBayou ^^

tphillips1234 Guest

A free day i like that cause i didnt really like refering to cheat day myself. I lost like 240 pounds and i would have like one or two free days a month or every two months we are all human and it to me actually helps reinforce the blueprint cause you get that yucky feelin.you get to indulge have some fun and a reminder all in one. so i agree havin a free day is a great thing to have.

dalvarez Guest

a free day for me is an open highway to hell....and yes I've traveled this highway often. I find that 20% can easily turn into a 20/80 day or days...watch for detour signs and get off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast