Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meticulous for 6 weeks... Still not fat adapted! Help! page

Kmilloy is offline Junior Member

Meticulous for 6 weeks... Still not fat adapted! Help!

Shop Now
    Hoping for some help...

I jumped on the primal bandwagon a little more than 6 weeks ago after reading all the research, seeing the light and deciding evolution probably knew what it was doing... and have thrown myself into it with gusto. When I do something, I like to do it all the way, so I've been meticulous. For the last 6 weeks, my macronutrient ratio has continually been 60-65% fat, 30-35% protein and ~5% carbs. I know this is a bit low on the carbs, but I'd heard the best way to jump-start the fat-burning machinery was to put your body into temporary ketosis and then add them back in. I track everything on MyFitnessPal (love this app), right down to the carbs in my instant coffee and vitamins, so I know I'm not getting any hidden sugars in my diet. I've completely eliminated all sugars (refined, honey and the like) and grains, so all my carbs are from veggies.

On the positive side, my sweet tooth (which used to be horrendous) is all but gone, I don't have cravings, I can easily go without eating for 5-6 hours without being hungry, and I'm genuinely enjoying what I'm eating. I've also lost extra fat, which is always an added bonus (all while eating a healthy 1500-1800 calories a day). All in all, I'm a happy girl.

Only downside is that I'm still feeling some of those lingering "carb flu" symptoms. I still get light headed, and my limbs feel heavy and weak. It's not constant, but it's not negligible either. Is there something I'm missing? Any suggestions are very welcome... Besides this, I'm loving the lifestyle and want to keep it up!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Experiment. See what happens if you increase carbs a bit.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Paleobird Guest
    It just takes some people longer to fully adapt than others. I would say the OP is on the right track and just needs to give it a little more time.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    So you've got the carb flu for longer than most. Everything else looks great, there's no test for fat adaptation as far as I know...I'm not quite understanding what you're aiming for? More energy? Ketosis?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Deadpedal is offline Junior Member
    Same situation for my wife - she had intense carb craving for about 10 weeks. She lost ~ 10 pound slowly; went from size 6 to zero in less than a year -- not sedentary, but no exercise other than chasing 3 small kids and walking to dozens of meetings per week on large campus.

Women are different than men. Focus on how your clothing fits more than the number on a scale; ketosis induced deep sleep and vivid dreams for me and my wife.

Experiment slightly, you should be close.

try eating more fat temporarily; keep carbs around 20 per day a few weeks

Eat butter more often ; consider coconut or MCT oil to form more ketones

Eat something every 3 or 4 hr while awake to keep insulin spikes down / minimize cravings.

Once fat adapted, I usually only eat twice a day now.

Enjoy

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Could it be electrolyte related? There are some threads on here about not feeling great low carb (mostly during exercise) that was helped with changes in sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpedal View Post
    Same situation for my wife - she had intense carb craving for about 10 weeks. She lost ~ 10 pound slowly; went from size 6 to zero in less than a year -- not sedentary, but no exercise other than chasing 3 small kids and walking to dozens of meetings per week on large campus.

Women are different than men. Focus on how your clothing fits more than the number on a scale; ketosis induced deep sleep and vivid dreams for me and my wife.

Experiment slightly, you should be close.

try eating more fat temporarily; keep carbs around 20 per day a few weeks

Eat butter more often ; consider coconut or MCT oil to form more ketones

Eat something every 3 or 4 hr while awake to keep insulin spikes down / minimize cravings.

Once fat adapted, I usually only eat twice a day now.

Enjoy

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I was just a little concerned after reading that it taking only 10 days for most people to adapt that I might be doing something wrong, and wanted to make sure something else wasn't going on. It's good to know that other people (like your wife) took longer to adapt too. Keeping my fingers crossed for that great energy levels that everybody raves about!

Thanks again

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmilloy View Post
    I was just a little concerned after reading that it taking only 10 days for most people to adapt
    According to Phinney and Volek, it takes about 4 to 6 weeks on average ...

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Could it be electrolyte related? There are some threads on here about not feeling great low carb (mostly during exercise) that was helped with changes in sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.
    Thanks for the suggestion... I had read about the importance of keeping your sodium (due to the water loss) so I've been adding salt, and I'm taking a multivitamin/mineral, but after looking at it, it doesn't have much potassium, so that could definitely be a contributor! Thanks again, I will add that in ASAP

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Oh, no sure not 10 days for me! Was more like 2 months or maybe a little more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast