Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Meticulous for 6 weeks... Still not fat adapted! Help! page 5

  1. #41
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmilloy View Post
    The article actually doesn't address my point (which I now realize I may not have fully articulated), but it is interesting.

    My point really was that low sugar intake does not equal low blood sugar. Your body is perfectly capable of making any and all glucose it needs from protein and fat. Low sugar intake may temporarily cause low blood sugar if your body has become accustomed to exogenous sources of glucose, but it adapts really quickly. There's a temporary increase in stress hormones, which kicks off a cascade of metabolic processes that stabilize your blood sugar, and everything's kosher. Unless, of course, you give your body a bunch of exogenous sugars, in which case it gets lazy, stops making its own sugar, and the whole, process starts again. So the article is definitely right about poor for choices, hypoglycaemia and stress hormones, but the poor food choices are not too little sugar, but too much.


    "We see things not as they are, but as we are"
    - John Milton
    you forget the fact ingestion of protein causes release of insulin since insulin is required to metabolize amino acids. insulin brings blood sugar down. all you get by creating your own is an inefficient way of putting your body on a blood sugar rollercoaster.
    nihil

  2. #42
    Kmilloy's Avatar
    Kmilloy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    you forget the fact ingestion of protein causes release of insulin since insulin is required to metabolize amino acids. insulin brings blood sugar down. all you get by creating your own is an inefficient way of putting your body on a blood sugar rollercoaster.
    Hmmm... This is not my understanding of how metabolism works, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Thanks for the interesting discussion though!


    "We see things not as they are, but as we are"
    - John Milton

  3. #43
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    neither insulin nor blood sugar are your enemies despite what glorified broscience majors try to tell you in order to push their agenda. or that ridiculous carb curve that insinuates you can eat a surplus of calories from fat and not gain weight as long as you eat fewer than 50g of carbs.

    all macronutrients play some key role in our bodies, it's not the macronutrients fault that modern diets or stress have screwed with our bodies enough to render them ineffective at processing necessary functions. you don't improve the symptoms by bandaging the problem, instead of fixing the cause though. this just creates new problems. another problem with modern medicine.
    nihil

  4. #44
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    ]High blood sugar is just another stress state caused by not having enough sugar.
    How much sense does that make: High blood sugar is caused by not eating enough sugar?????

    Quote Originally Posted by Kmilloy View Post
    This is a great diagram, but I think you might be taking the message out of context. The "stress hormone" (epinephrine, norepinephrine, adrenaline) fight-or-flight response is an acute, fast acting response. It occurs 1) to give you energy by mobilizing glucose stores (if, say, you need to run from a bear or deal with a more modern day sudden stressor) or 2) because your blood sugar dips too low, which is dangerous. They're kind like light switches... They turn on gluconeogenesis (opposite of glycolysis) and other metabolic processes to stabilize the blood sugar and give you the energy you need. But once the light switch has been turned on, you don't need to keep pressing it. The stress hormone response may get the ball rolling, but its not what keeps it in motion. So, for the first few days of a VLCD, you're right, you've undoubtably induced a stress state, but it's very temporary. Those hormones are very short acting. They're meant to deal with short-term stressors, and they actually become ineffective after any sort of prolonged exposure (hence why stimulants that work on this pathway become less and less effective the longer you use them).
    Nicely summarized.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kmilloy View Post
    My point really was that low sugar intake does not equal low blood sugar. Your body is perfectly capable of making any and all glucose it needs from protein and fat. Low sugar intake may temporarily cause low blood sugar if your body has become accustomed to exogenous sources of glucose, but it adapts really quickly. There's a temporary increase in stress hormones, which kicks off a cascade of metabolic processes that stabilize your blood sugar, and everything's kosher. Unless, of course, you give your body a bunch of exogenous sugars, in which case it gets lazy, stops making its own sugar, and the whole, process starts again. So the article is definitely right about poor for choices, hypoglycaemia and stress hormones, but the poor food choices are not too little sugar, but too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmilloy View Post
    Hmmm... This is not my understanding of how metabolism works, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Thanks for the interesting discussion though!
    You are so incredibly patient and polite in the face of nincompoopery.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    that ridiculous carb curve that insinuates you can eat a surplus of calories from fat and not gain weight as long as you eat fewer than 50g of carbs.
    Mark never said all you can eat fat/protein buffet. His book has a whole chapter about calorie targeting and #8 of the famous 17 Reasons Why You Aren't Losing Weight is a very concise answer :"You're eating too much."

    You're at those strawmen again.

  5. #45
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    How much sense does that make: High blood sugar is caused by not eating enough sugar?????

    Mark never said all you can eat fat/protein buffet. His book has a whole chapter about calorie targeting and #8 of the famous 17 Reasons Why You Aren't Losing Weight is a very concise answer :"You're eating too much."

    You're at those strawmen again.
    Guess that's worse than ad hominems that are completely irrelevant huh? ie; my personal habits which I never advocate to anyone or bring up at all.

    Also, who is using straw man arguments now? Picking out something probably referenced after he realized he was completely wrong about his insulin theory. I wasn't even talking about that, just the carb curve that doesn't mention anything you just said, so... lol.

    And it does make sense if you actually read what I write, you'd rather just repeatedly call me an idiot instead though because you don't agree.
    nihil

  6. #46
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your "personal habits" are relevant because if someone is looking for information on investing their money, doing business with a broke guy probably wouldn't be smart.

    If looking for information on health, getting it from someone who so clearly abuses their own also makes no sense.

    I was referencing Mark's book, something you might try reading one of these days.

    And yes, derpaheart, I do read what you write, and no, it still makes no sense. Because it is contrary to basic biology.

    I never called you an idiot. I do, however, think that you rely on some questionable sources of information.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •