Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meticulous for 6 weeks... Still not fat adapted! Help! page 3

Shotglass is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    The sodium recommendation for someone eating VLC is 5000mg sodium / day.
    What's your source for this information? I'm not disagreeing; just wanting to research it myself.
    Thx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    you dont say what g of carbs are you too low?
    eat some potassium rich low carb veggies like spinach and don't add loads of extra sodium; you're much more likely to be low in potassium than sodium

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-31-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've come to the conclusion that the carbohydrate curve is not right. I do not think you can obtain the kind of obesity depicted in that cartoon of Ken Korg on carbohydrates coming from roots, tubers and fruit. To end up with diabesity like Ken Korg you have to eat white flour, corn/soy/canola/trans-fats and processed foods. You would have to eat too many calories to reach really high levels of carbs from roots, tubers and fruit and might gain some weight if you aren't active enough to burn those calories off, but the fat you gained wouldn't be that diabesity-type fat.

That's just a suspicion I have as I no longer worry about how many carbs I consume (or don't consume) and never see any difference. What does result in a difference is if I just eat less period, and if I stay away from grains, seed oils and processed foods. Eat less = lose some weight. Avoid grains, seed oils and processed food = feel awesome and healthy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I could have written the above post myself as I have come to the same conclusion, too.
    I've done the VLC thing for a while also.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    VLC is great when you are metabolically "broken", i.e. your body fat tends to accumulate. It is probably a hormonal issue / imbalance due to years of bad eating. Switching to real foods and going VLC for a while will make you lose the bulk body fat. Once you restore a good metabolic health, you can loosen up with healthy carbs. Changing meal frequency is also a great idea as many here can report (IF - 2 to 1 meal a day "only").

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmilloy View Post
    Hey... I'm curious where you get this "fact"... I've got a pretty decent understanding of hormone function, and I've certainly seen the evidence to support how sugar consumption impacts your cortisol levels, but I'm unaware of how fat metabolism affects you cortisol. Also, your body actually can't "become accustomed" to running on cortisol... Cortisol is a temporary measure to get you through stressful times. That's why chronic stress leads to adrenal fatigue, rather than the consistent energy and improved neural function that people report from being in a fat adapted state...
    Derp gets all his factoids from the same place. The alter of the Holy Ray Peat. A guy who is actually a scientist but then has a bunch of folks like Danny Roddy and Matt Stone out interpreting his works for the masses. Derp lives on cigarettes, soda, candy, copious amounts of sweetened coffee, highly sweetened milk and OJ, plus other illegal substances with an occasional piece of liver and has the nerve to come here and preach about health. Eating the liver and the fact that he is only a bit past 20 are probably the only reasons his lifestyle hasn't killed him yet. Consider the source of your info around here.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    VLC is great when you are metabolically "broken", i.e. your body fat tends to accumulate. It is probably a hormonal issue / imbalance due to years of bad eating. Switching to real foods and going VLC for a while will make you lose the bulk body fat. Once you restore a good metabolic health, you can loosen up with healthy carbs. Changing meal frequency is also a great idea as many here can report (IF - 2 to 1 meal a day "only").
    Oh yeah, I agree that you need the VLC if you are metabolically broken. I was metabolically broken when I got here. Not diabetes but broken nonetheless. I'm fixed now and find that lots of primal carbs only makes me fat if I eat too much.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    As a female, we need more carbs then men for our hormone systems to function properly (including our thyroid). Check out www.paleoforwomen.com and check out Stefani's amazing work.

It could be that you need a bit more in terms of carbs to fuel your basic hormonal systems and/or perhaps you need more calories for more energy.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotglass View Post
    What's your source for this information? I'm not disagreeing; just wanting to research it myself.
    Thx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    No Problem.
    The 5000 mg number comes from Phinney and Volek "The art and science of low carb living". Dr. Atkins used to say up the sodium too, but he recommended 2 bouillon cubes which will give you about 2000 mg sodium to add to your CW daily 2500. My N=1 told me that I felt better if I had between 4000-5000 mg. I actually tracked sodium on MyFitnessPal when I was doing NK. I found that I got 2500 pretty easily by adding salt to my food, but I used the bouillon to get the extra. Lot's of sodium in a small pkg. Unfortunately they also contain msg etc. I chose to take the small exposure to bad stuff to get the extra sodium easily.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Sorry, you'll have to filter out the sugar bugs. J3nn, Derpamix, Zach and a few others think candy = health, and push their glucose-loving ways on people truly interested in being fat-fueled.

It took me six weeks to get fat adapted, where I could drink a stick of butter and have it all digest properly, etc. But this has me worried. I hope you're about 4 feet tall. Eat more, that might help!

x2 about electrolytes.
    Yeah, Derp and Zach are here to troll the newbies for the lulz.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast