Thread: Primal Journal: jengatron page

jengatron is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal: jengatron

Shop Now
    Primal Day One: Monday, May 17th, 2010

I am about 5'10 and weighed 247 this morning. I have weighed as much as 270 and as low as 180 in my adult life, and have been hovering around 260 for the last year until I started instituting changes (albeit intermittently) inspired by The Primal Blueprint. I think ultimately, I'd be pretty good at somewhere between 165 and 175 depending on how muscley I get.

When I have lost weight it's always been by low-carbing it. Even though weight loss is obviously a big goal of mine, it's only secondary to my ultimate goal of being able to run and jump around freely and just to not have my body be an impediment to anything I would like to do physically, like join a softball league, or get back into bicycle touring, which I simply too fat and out-of-shape to do.

Food Log:

Roast Chicken (mmmmm crispy skin...)
    Sweet Potatoes sauteed in onions and butter
    6 macadamia nuts
    5 blackberries
    4 strawberries
    5 slices of deli turkey (which I wouldn't normally eat on the Primal Blueprint, but it was in the fridge and it's not a completely unreasonable food, so I didn't want to waste it)
    2 slices of deli Gouda cheese (ditto)

I'd normally eat more than this in a given day, but somehow didn't get around to it.

I joined a CSA and my first produce box is ready on Thursday. Looking forward to it, though it looks like potatoes are coming. I'll prepare those for the gf and give the rest to friends. My CSA does have a swap box, so maybe I can get some extra beets or kohlrabi instead.

SimpleFit: Week 1, Level 1, Day 1

I'm doing SimpleFit, having been inspired by a post by cheapo in the Fitness forum.

It's going to be quite a milestone when I manage my first pull-up from a dead hang. For now, I am substituting 3 incline body rows ( maybe a 45-degree angle?) using a towel draped over my pullup bar for every 1 pull-up, according to the SimpleFit rules.

I got through 16 rounds, having taken a couple short <1min breaks, once to quickly change shoes (my feet kept sliding otherwise I'd be barefoot), and once to answer the door. My pushup started to fail in the 16th round and then I also got a stitch and I ended up stopping after 17 minutes.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be stuck on level 1 for a few weeks, and it feels like a cheat to move up before I can perform even ONE dead-hang pullup though I know it's ok to do so assuming I make time on day 3 with the proper substitution. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Can a post a shirtless pic without being laughed at? It might be motivating to have people follow along, but it would be a fairly big step, because man, these pics are embarrassing.

Primal Day Two: Tuesday, May 18th, 2010

I guess I should include some more info about myself by way of introduction. I'm turning 33 next week and live in Austin, Texas. I play poker online professionally so it's easy to spend many many hours at a time indoors with no sun and staring at two huge computer monitors well into the morning hours. Not particularly primal is it? I do adore the outside though and used to do loaded bicycle touring and camping and backpacking when I was less of a fat-ass. I'm committed to getting some more miles on these Vibrams and soon.

Food Log:

I got a hankerin' for a burger and decided to make one "Double Down" style. Details in this post, and pictures once they are approved by the mods.

4 scrambled eggs
    1.5 oz raw milk cheddar
    a Tbsp of whole milk
    5 slices of bacon

Double Down:
    ■ Two 4oz. Ground Chuck patties.
    ■ Two slices of Gouda (make that three slices, I ate one extra out of the package while cooking the burgers...anyone NOT do that?)
    ■ Two slices of bacon (ok well I made two extra slices and ate those too...there was extra room on the broiler rack so why not?)
    ■ Dijon mustard
    ■ Mayonnaise
    ■ A touch of milk I reduced used to make a pan sauce with the burned bits to mix in with the mustard and mayo.

6 Blackberries
    4 Strawberries

Not much vegetation today, but I did manage 9 slices of bacon so I'll book that as a win.

SimpleFit: Rest Day

I am very very sore, pretty much all over. Those of you who don't think you'll hit your abs with only pullups, squats, and pushups couldn't be more wrong. I can pretty much feel every muscle group individually and each one of them has got the soreness. It's a good soreness though. I've started and stopped enough exercise plans to know that this is all fairly routine and will go away soon. I'm doubtful though that my second day of SimpleFit tomorrow will be at all productive. We shall see. I have good feeling about this plan. It suits my competitive nature.

Bye for now,

jengatron
    Last edited by jengatron; 05-18-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Primal Day Four: Thursday, May 20th, 2010

I am still incredibly sore from my first SimpleFit workout on Monday. Maybe I should have eased into it more. There was no way I could have done my L2D2 yesterday, so I'm going to rest until next Monday and try again. Maybe I'll see some improvements, and maybe I won't be sore for days later. What's funny though is because I can feel the soreness distinctly in each muscle group, by attempting to do a given exercise, I know exactly what muscle groups it will hit. Very cool!

In some better news I received my first CSA share today.

That's fennel, kohlrabi, chard, red onions, beets, flat leaf parsley, carrots, garlic, new potatoes, a couple chilies, and summer squash. I'll pass the potatoes and a few of the carrots on to the gf or a friend, but the rest looks pretty good. Now I just have to figure out what the hell to do with all this stuff! If anyone has ideas, I would love for you to share them (assuming anyone is reading this!)

I did have a little setback the other day. Had some pita bread, cookies, and milk. It's really a challenge for me to live with non-primal people and all the stupid food they keep around. I never had as big a junk food habit when I lived alone. :-/

jengatron
    Last edited by jengatron; 05-20-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Jengatron- Oh how lovely it is to be sore....Not! I love your posts-your really honest and you are doing awesome! The produce looks divine and your workouts are serious business! Don't be afraid to snap a pic of yourself, use it as inspiration and proof of your progress, even if you never share it! I would certainly never laugh, everyone here is in it together!
    p.s- the double down burger= heaven