Thread: Milder Flavored Coconut Oil? page

Pax
    Pax is offline Junior Member

Milder Flavored Coconut Oil?

Shop Now
    I normally buy Trader Joe's Organice Virgin Coconut Oil, and I like it a lot for my coffee and for sauteing veggies and meat when I'm making an asian dish, but the coconut flavor is very strong and there are some things that I want to use it in but I just don't want them to taste like coconut. Is there a particular brand out there that any of you have found to be very mild in the flavor department?

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I have read that if you find a refined coconut oil it will be much less coconutty in flavor, almost to the point of completely flavorless. It also can tolerate higher cooking temperatures. I cannot say which brands are best though, I'm still working through the giant tub of virgin oil I got at Costco. Definitely going to try refined next, I get a bit sick of the taste of unrefined.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    The first jar of coconut oil I bought, just last week, is refined (cause I might cook at higher temps), and has almost no odor, nor do I have any coconut taste in any of my foods that I've fried in it.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Jarrow Coconut Oil has a version of the oil that's flavorless! I don't like the flavor, especially when cooking vegetables, so that's what I use and it's great!

Patti is offline Senior Member
    The Spectrum refined Organic Coconut Oil is lovely and doesn't smell like coconut at all. This is great for many recipes. When I want that luscious coconut flavor, my favorite is Trader Joes's and second favorite is the Now brand.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    When I started cooking with CO I was very wary of the taste being noticeable. Since using it for the last 2 months and plenty of sneaked teaspoons just for the flavour, I now don't notice it on veggies or when cooking anything. I make scrambled eggs with it instead of milk/butter and use it to baste the chicken when roasting and add to all veggies when microwaving. I think the brand does make a difference though as I've tried other 'virgin organic' coconut oils that just didn't taste as nice and I would shy away from using those with everything.

Also, you might like to read more on the refining process before deciding to go that route.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Expeller Pressed coconut oil from Tropical Traditions has no flavor or coconut smell.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Try organic refined coconut oil. It is flavourless but more processed. You could also try organic palm oil as a substitute.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    Expeller Pressed coconut oil from Tropical Traditions has no flavor or coconut smell.
    And it's mechanically refined. Meaning they don't use hexane or other petroleum-based solvents to refine it. And you can buy it in 5 gallon buckets.