Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Do excess carbs turn to fat, even within calorie limits? page 8

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    People become insulin resistant by eating tons of PUFA, then gain weight, and choose to blame the carbohydrates. Afterwards, they fall back on VLC, lose water weight and muscle mass, claim it's the greatest thing in the world, without realizing they're releasing tons of toxic fat that can't produce ATP, shortens ATP production, and damages your health in more ways than anyone realizes.

Has there ever actually been a randomized trial where human beings ate all the right types of carbs and sugar, without fat, and gained weight within caloric boundaries? Didn't think so.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I do eat clean and healthy 95% of the time, but indulging in a plate of pasta once in a while would actually help me feel like I'm not deprived and stay on a healthy diet. I do get what you're saying and realize that an indulgence usually has little nutrients, but it's not really answering my question whether one day of eating some pasta or a lot of carbs stores body fat, even if I don't gain weight?
    If you keep your calories below your daily requirement you will not gain any fat, but increasing your carb macros may result in retaining some water which will cause a gain of 1 to 3 lbs. but you will be fine after a couple of days of returning to your Paleo/Primal eating patterns.

Natureman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    50g carbs
    120g proteins
    140g fats
    So, what kinds of foods does one need to eat in order to get 140g of fat per day?
    And 120g of protein? That's a lot of eggs for example.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Sincere question: do people ever gain "weight" (fat) without a caloric excess? Plenty of people on the forum seem to assert they got fat eating low-calorie just because they were eating too many carbs...
    This question is tricky because "calories out" varies minute by minute and is difficult to calculate for individual cases. Without knowing CO we cannot define "excess" or "low-calorie".

My hunch is that the USDA 300g/60% carb diet carries a virtual guarantee of including wheat and sugar, which seem to produce satiety defects in many people and influence subsequent consumption. So there's probably a caloric excess, but that doesn't make it the first domino in the row.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    This question is tricky because "calories out" varies minute by minute and is difficult to calculate for individual cases. Without knowing CO we cannot define "excess" or "low-calorie".
    I always insist that weight-gain is an indication of calorific excess and not the other way around.

What we can measure without uncertainty is the change in weight and hence we can use that as an indicator for calorific balance. Calorific balance of the "system" has a lot of other variables affecting it in a non-linear way (for example calories supplied themselves can affect calories expended). People usually go around trying to find calories to explain the weight gained/lost. Bad science.
    Few but ripe.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Your body burns glucose preferentially.
    Mine burns fats, some days at an alarming rate.
    YOURS burns glucose preferentially because it is toxic and must find a way to get rid of it.

In order to store fat, you need a caloric surplus.
    Not perforce, you just need insulin to drive those calories.

But listen guys... I am happy with my abs, my energy levels and my blood tests, and it seems you are happy with your results. After all, many vegans swear on their diet, too.
    Last edited by primal_alex; 06-04-2013 at 10:10 PM.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, in the long run we are all dead.
    Few but ripe.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Yet again another "carb vs fat" polluted thread ...

I think the OP should be fine with primal eating (carb, fat, protein in whatever ratio because strict whole foods in a meal should more or less provide reasonable macro ratios, unless you only eat say potatoes or a jar of honey - which would not exactly qualify as a "varied meal").

For me, the main question is whether the OP can have a plate of pasta or a loaf of wheat bread once in a while. If it were me, I would stay away from wheat without any exception. Even if you don't notice it, wheat will fuck you up. Is it worth it ? No. Consider wheat a toxin, a junkie's fix which will only potentially lead to more wheat. Same with refined sugar (HFCS, sucrose, agave sirup, etc) : not worth it.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Sincere question: do people ever gain "weight" (fat) without a caloric excess? Plenty of people on the forum seem to assert they got fat eating low-calorie just because they were eating too many carbs...
    Hi PrimalStudent,

Skinny on obesity series:

The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 1): An Epidemic for Every Body - YouTube
    The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 2): Sickeningly Sweet - YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3TRbkIrow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn1cI8FNU6M
    The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 5): Generation XL - YouTube
    The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 6): A Fast-Paced Fast Food Life - YouTube
    The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 7): Drugs Cigarettes Alcohol...and Sugar? - YouTube

Sugar The Bitter Truth:

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Sisson's Carbohydrate Curve is a fabrication - a total lie. It does not exist. Not only is there absolutely no science behind it...
    You and Gorbag are competing for the craziest poster of 2013.

The curve exists. If you are hanging out in nature eating leafs, carrots, cucumbers, it's darn hard to go over 100g a day.

That's the level to which we are adapted, thus it does have a basis.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast