Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do excess carbs turn to fat, even within calorie limits? page 7

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    Where are the sugars then?

Not in the muscles (because as long as they are full of glycogen they can't take more).
    In the blood? I doubt, the pancreas, as long as it still works fine, will do everything in his power to get rid of extra sugars.
    In the liver? Possibly, it goes under the name of fatty liver disease.
    The rest, trust me, is stored.

If you allow me to paraphrase your sentence: the body's inefficiency to store excess of fat as fat in a low carbohydrate setting.
    They are not stored. They are used for energy. Not only in the muscle but every cell in the body. Under normal conditions. Under chronically overfed individuals some of it (mostly fructose) will be converted to fat in the liver and stored in and around the liver.

But this does not happen until insulin resistance. Again, if carb storage as fat is supposed to happen and is such an easy process why does metabolic syndrome happen?

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Last edited by chima_p; 06-04-2013 at 12:45 PM.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    They are not stored. They are used for energy. Not only in the muscle but every cell in the body. Under normal conditions. Under chronically overfed individuals some of it (mostly fructose) will be converted to fat in the liver and stored in and around the liver.
    And while waiting to be used for energy? Where are they?

Digestion. Mostly in your gut. It takes hours to digest a meal. Your cells can store hundreds of grams of glucose. Which is nearly depleted when you wake up. Not full as you suggest. How many carbs do you think are consumed in one bloody(bready, lol) meal?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Some stay in your stomach/intestines, glycogen synthesis and energy burn-off, some extra glycogen, can be super compensated to overstretch the normal storage capacity for a while, and the body immediately ramp up the heat and energy production, and work much harder on repairing damaged tissue after a heavy carb meal...

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Your cells can store hundreds of grams of glucose.
    Insulin resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which is nearly depleted when you wake up. Not full as you suggest.
    So actually, resting makes me tired? I never realized it. I thought that during 8 hours of inactivity the body took its time to refill the muscles and get ready for the new day. I was wrong

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Why do they have to be waiting somewhere? My body requires around 2000 calories a day just for basic functioning. I don't know.. maybe the carbs you eat... ya know go towards that...

So actually, resting makes me tired? I never realized it. I thought that during 8 hours of inactivity the body took its time to refill the muscles and get ready for the new day. I was wrong
    Refill with what? The glucose you have been eating throughout the day. If you know the answers to your own questions why do you ask?

Refill with what? The glucose you have been eating throughout the day. If you know the answers to your own questions why do you ask?

I ask while answering my own question

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Where are the sugars then?

Not in the muscles (because as long as they are full of glycogen they can't take more).
    Your glycogen stores are almost never full. Your liver depletes completely overnight. Eating lunch at 12pm and then dinner at 6pm is plenty of time to free up glycogen in your liver and muscles just sitting on your butt at a desk at work to create space. If you're consuming too many carbs that they're being stored as fat, it's because you're simply consuming too many calories.

Your body burns glucose preferentially. This whole "fat burning beast" thing Sisson speak of is marketing. You always burn fat and glucose simultaneously, but when you consume more carbohydrate, you burn a higher ratio of glucose:free fatty acids and vice versa. Restricting carbs simply starves your body of its primary fuel source, so it resorts to burning free fatty acids, which are less energy efficient and generate more stress hormones and AGE's along the way. Restricting carbohydrate to burn fat is a great way to slow your mitochondria, weaken your muscles, increase stress hormones and age more quickly. I prefer to eat more carbohydrate than fat for this reason.

In the blood? I doubt, the pancreas, as long as it still works fine, will do everything in his power to get rid of extra sugars.
    In the liver? Possibly, it goes under the name of fatty liver disease.
    The rest, trust me, is stored.

If you allow me to paraphrase your sentence: the body's inefficiency to store excess of fat as fat in a low carbohydrate setting.
    You're confused.

In order to store fat, you need a caloric surplus.

After a surplus:

- Excess fat can be stored directly as fat.

- Excess carbohydrate must be converted via de novo lipogenesis. If you are consuming so much carbohydrate that it's being converted into fat by de novo lipogenesis, this means all your dietary fat was already stored. So even if you're storing carbs as fat, you're storing fat as fat as well.

Excess calories lead to weight gain, but dietary fat is the most likely to be stored as fat and not lean mass.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Your glycogen stores are almost never full. Your liver depletes completely overnight. Eating lunch at 12pm and then dinner at 6pm is plenty of time to free up glycogen in your liver and muscles just sitting on your butt at a desk at work to create space. If you're consuming too many carbs that they're being stored as fat, it's because you're simply consuming too many calories.

Your body burns glucose preferentially. This whole "fat burning beast" thing Sisson speak of is marketing. You always burn fat and glucose simultaneously, but when you consume more carbohydrate, you burn a higher ratio of glucose:free fatty acids and vice versa. Restricting carbs simply starves your body of its primary fuel source, so it resorts to burning free fatty acids, which are less energy efficient and generate more stress hormones and AGE's along the way. Restricting carbohydrate to burn fat is a great way to slow your mitochondria, weaken your muscles, increase stress hormones and age more quickly. I prefer to eat more carbohydrate than fat for this reason.

You're confused.

In order to store fat, you need a caloric surplus.

After a surplus:

- Excess fat can be stored directly as fat.

- Excess carbohydrate must be converted via de novo lipogenesis. If you are consuming so much carbohydrate that it's being converted into fat by de novo lipogenesis, this means all your dietary fat was already stored. So even if you're storing carbs as fat, you're storing fat as fat as well.

Excess calories lead to weight gain, but dietary fat is the most likely to be stored as fat and not lean mass.
    Sincere question: do people ever gain "weight" (fat) without a caloric excess? Plenty of people on the forum seem to assert they got fat eating low-calorie just because they were eating too many carbs...

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast