Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do excess carbs turn to fat, even within calorie limits? page 6

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Man, I need to eat soon, been fasting for almost 44 hours ...
    Gosh, never done it for more than 36 (with a workout before the end of the fast, one of my best workouts ever btw).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    This is an interesting website for understanding fruitarianism.
    Waking Up from the Fruitarian Dreamtime
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Gorbag has posted a picture of his gunz in the fitness forum. Obviously whatever he does works for him. But we all must find a way that works. I think lamb liver and sweet potatoes sounds great. I compromise with chicken breast and sweet potatoes. Still waiting for the magic 6 pack ha ha.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    That's exactly the rules I followed for years, without getting any appreciable result, but I am glad it works for you. You advocate it so much I suppose you have a stunning 10-pack that overshadows my miserable 8-pack.
    The article does not give any "rules" as I read it - but it explains what happens physiologically related to calories and macronutrients based on science...

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Hi Gorbag,

I absolutely agree. Eating too many calories will make the body store them, no matter they come from carbs or fats. That's evolution, we are meant to survive periods of famine.

I do not agree. Carbs trigger insuline (fats don't). Carbs are more easily stored than fats.
    No no no no.

If it were so easy to store carbs as fat there would be no insulin resistance. Think about it. If you are chronically over eating with the bulk of calories coming from carbs your body is trying to stuff every last cell in your body with glucose to burn for energy. The fat you also ate will be stored since it is not needed. Over time the cells resist the push from insulin and you become type 2 diabetic. If de novo lipogenisis was so easy and "preferred" there would be no type 2 diabetes associated with obesity.

Primal way if eating works because of the spontaneous reduction in calories caused by the satiety from the protein and fat and all the micro nutrients.

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

chima_p is offline Senior Member

I do not usually speak about calories, but let's make an example anyway. Eat 2000 calories like this:

280g carbs
    120g proteins
    25g fats

and eat the same amount of calories, but like this:

50g carbs
    120g proteins
    140g fats

You are more likely to get fatter with the first. Also, despite the same number of calories, you'll feel less energetic with the first and funny enough, despite all those carbs, you'll be in hypoglycemy, thus hungry. It will be a challange not to overeat on a high carb diet (and that's why the SAD fails), while you'll be always fine on a high fat.
    Your reasoning is not in context with your example.

I am not picking on you, really. Just this type of reasoning makes "paleo" paleotarded.

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    You probably should read a little more. Mark doesn't say that at all.
    up to 50g -ketosis Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics
    50g-100g weight loss sweet spot;
    100g-150g
    : effortless weight maintenance
    150g-300g : Insidious Weight Gain zone.
    300+ grams : Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level

Sisson's Carbohydrate Curve is a fabrication - a total lie. It does not exist. Not only is there absolutely no science behind it at all (it is completely opinion-based), dietary fat is more fattening than carbohydrate as it is much more easily stored. There is a reason why lean athletes and bodybuilders choose a high protein, high carbohydrate, low fat diet. While it will make you gain weight just like a high fat diet will in the same caloric excess, it is less "fattening" due to the body's inefficiency to store excess carbohydrate as fat in a low fat setting. The SAD is NOT LOW FAT - it is around 35-40% calories from fat and 40-45% calories from carbs. Bodybuilders usually do 20% fat for this reason. The SAD is fattening because it is a fatty AND carby low protein diet in huge caloric excess. It has nothing to do with carb counts. If Americans cut their carbs and replaced all those calories equally with fats we'd probably be in even worse shape.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    I am not picking on you, really. Just this type of reasoning makes "paleo" paleotarded.
    Well... paleo is not perforce low-carb, although many choose both (don't worry, I know you are not picking on me, we are here to share and discuss ).

Regarding the insulin resistance. IR happens when your muscles are already full of glycogen (example: early in the morning, that's why it is non-sense to eat carbs for breakfast). After eating sugars, the beta-cells of the pancreas keep producing insulin in the desperate tentative of storing the excess somewhere (ending up in the liver in the end, but the liver too does not have infinite capacity, hence fat is stored). We are insulin resistant also after 8 hours sitting in the office, reason why I avoid fruits during the day.

The brain helps burning sugars, too: everybody experienced the high after drinking a sugary drink. Everybody also experienced the down that arrives after 1h30-2h, after the double production of insulin brings one's glycemic index below normal levels. Diabete-2 is the consequence of overexploiting the pancreas for decades.

One thing I agree with you instead, is that eating fats and sugars together is the best way to drive fats to the belly. Insulin, again, is responsible for this. Hence sugars.

To be clear, I am not for zero carbs. I just choose the right moment to eat them. Most of my 50-60g are after a workout or a walk, or a sprint, or after/during housecleaning (imho best workout of the world, it includes all possible movements and engages all muscles at low, but constant, effort).

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    the body's inefficiency to store excess carbohydrate as fat in a low fat setting
    Where are the sugars then?

Not in the muscles (because as long as they are full of glycogen they can't take more).
    In the blood? I doubt, the pancreas, as long as it still works fine, will do everything in his power to get rid of extra sugars.
    In the liver? Possibly, it goes under the name of fatty liver disease.
    The rest, trust me, is stored.

If you allow me to paraphrase your sentence: the body's inefficiency to store excess of fat as fat in a low carbohydrate setting.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey op, here's the deal.
    You only need to go low carb when first starting this diet to make sure you are rid of your SAD carb addiction (ie when your brain signals for more of its fuel to be added by mouth). If carbs aren't trapping you into a bad food eating cycle anymore, you've successfully joined the primal ranks

After this stage your free to choose your carb levels and experiment with them. Most of us stick to low carb, others don't, both choices are valid.

A word of caution tho, it is my belief that if you daily eat a range above 150g - 300g of carbs again (particularly the non nutritious carbs) depending on activity level. Your brain might start signalling to refuel by mouth instead of by body again, leading to restart a bad eating cycle. So Sisson's carb curve I believe has some (very generalised) truth to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast