Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Do excess carbs turn to fat, even within calorie limits? page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What I understand is that if you eat some high glycemic carbohydrate, what happens is your body has to process the sugars first and that while it's busy with that, it's storing calories from fat as fat. Once it processes the sugar it may also convert that to fat as well because fat is your body's energy storage. Glycogen is also your body's energy storage and some energy gets stored there, too. Of course, you're not in a state of suspended animation while this is going on, so while it's going on you are burning stored energy, either from stored glycogen or fat. If you are basically in a calorie deficit, whatever got stored as fat will be consumed for energy. So you can do all that and still lose weight because you are in a calorie deficit. The fat is going in and out all the time.

What the others are saying about nutrient deficits is worth listening to. Women tend to live their whole lives in a nutrient deficit state because they are either always dieting and overexercising or they are eating junky crap like most people. So if you are trying to lose weight it is much better for you to favor highly nutritious foods, foods you might not consider favorites, stuff like oysters and liver and seafood and leafy greens. Get enough high nutrient food and the occasional junky stuff isn't a big deal.

The whole low carb thing is that when people get too messed up hormonally (diabetes, and that sort of stuff) they have a really hard time accessing fat for energy. So that's why low carb works. It takes away the problem and lets the body relearn how to access fat for energy. If you aren't broken that way, you won't have the same sense of relief. You'll lose some water weight but you won't have a big advantage as far as weight loss. If you are broken, it'll be like a miracle.

The real benefit of eating primal (and all the rest of the program) for people who aren't fat and broken is that it gives you a feeling of health and vitality that you may never have had before. I've been doing this for 1.5 years and I still wake up some days in wonder that I feel even MORE healthy than I did the day before. It just gets better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If you are broken, it'll be like a miracle.

The real benefit of eating primal (and all the rest of the program) for people who aren't fat and broken is that it gives you a feeling of health and vitality that you may never have had before. I.
    For me it has been but I have a lot of fat to lose. I also benefit from the feeling of health and vitality and have actually never felt as good since I was 8!
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Interesting... so does this imply that, should you overeat calorie-wise, dietary fat is what gets stored, rather than dietary carbs?
    it seems anything in excess of what we need gets stored as fat ultimately
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    it seems anything in excess of what we need gets stored as fat ultimately
    That is what it seems like. Of course, if all you ate was MCT oil, maybe things would work out differently. But that is not exactly viable as a long term diet

The fat storing mechanism is really an amazing strategy by the way. Just think if we had to store starches instead ... we would look like giant potatoes unable to move around ...

Now, I suspect that the secret for a healthy life is to adopt a lifestyle that allows you to use your fat store efficiently on a daily basis. So far in my journey toward discovering my SHS (Super Healthy Self), I found that one meal a day is the best tool to achieve this goal, provided that I work out reasonably when fasting and that my food is "primal" and of high quality. There is no looking back for me.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    I guess, all it would take is to NOT deplete your glycogen store, and continue to eat carbs, especially fructose + dietary fat. Since insulin inhibits fat oxidation momentarily, fat + fructose ingested all day long while lying in bed would make you really fat rather fast
    Carbs are very seldom converted to fat, even in a calorie surplus. What happens in a calorie surplus is that you store almost everything of incoming fat and burn less of stored bodyfat, and burn off the incoming carbs for energy. Only under rare circumstances will carbs be converted to fat...
    So a 100% fruitarian diet should be effective in losing fat?
    Few but ripe.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    If fat loss is what you are after, eating only fruits will get you there. It is just not maintainable without health issues in the long run and you will have to supplement for things you don't find in fruits.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    How can carbs be in "excess" when within calorie limits?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    Real fruitarians become emaciated. They also have chronic diarrhea and have to eat all the time. Even if they eat lots of nuts and avocados, they normally struggle to keep pure.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Carbs are very seldom converted to fat, even in a calorie surplus. What happens in a calorie surplus is that you store almost everything of incoming fat and burn less of stored bodyfat, and burn off the incoming carbs for energy. Only under rare circumstances will carbs be converted to fat...
    What actually happens is that if you were to consume a large amount of carbs at a sitting (a situation often known as a "meal"), the glucose rises in the bloodstream. It does not stay at an elevated level indefinitely until your energy use requires it, uses it up, and brings it down to FBS level again. Your system will harvest the excess and put it into storage (fat) for when it may be needed at a later time (famine). And when what glucose remains in your bloodstream is used up, you will get hungry, which is your body telling you to fuel up again. Should you not eat more food at that point, your body will start to convert back some of that stored fat into energy. During this process hunger and cravings will increase, so you will need to exert massive willpower to keep from following your body's message (eating).

So for a person who tends to eat mostly carbs, eating frequent small controlled doses of carbs will tend to keep carb metabolism from putting more into fat. Eating large, carb-heavy meals will result in running out of energy, getting massively hungry between meals (even though you ate enough calories), and snacking up over your daily limit.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Interesting... so does this imply that, should you overeat calorie-wise, dietary fat is what gets stored, rather than dietary carbs?
    Yep, unless that you eat more than 700 - 900 gram of carbs per day for an average person - that's a lot! - for several days after all your glycogen stores in muscles and liver are filled up. Carbs will almost never be converted to fat, not even in a calorie surplus, because the body will ramp up the heat and energy production and spend the carbs on energy and store most of incoming dietary fat...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast