Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Do excess carbs turn to fat, even within calorie limits? page 2

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    Eating high-glycemic carbs and sugar tend to make you hungrier and more likely to eat more overall calories. They also feed underlying addiction and dependency that creates a cycle of overeating.
    Yep I agree. It's not the eating of one plate of pasta, or one doughnut, or one of any high-carb/low-quality items that matters: it is what one does NEXT that makes the difference when it comes to storing fat or losing weight. But, because of the cravings that come along with eating those low quality foods, it can be quite difficult to maintain eating 'just one'. I find it much easier to cut the crap foods completely; it means I don't have the cravings, and I don't have to keep track of whether today's 'just one' is within the limits I have set for myself. Zero is zero.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I do eat clean and healthy 95% of the time, but indulging in a plate of pasta once in a while would actually help me feel like I'm not deprived and stay on a healthy diet. I do get what you're saying and realize that an indulgence usually has little nutrients, but it's not really answering my question whether one day of eating some pasta or a lot of carbs stores body fat, even if I don't gain weight?
    Calorie deficit + wheat/sugar is usually a reliable path to the skinnyfat body composition (bony face/limbs with a spare tire).

If you're only eating it 5% of the time the impact will reflect that, but I still advise against subtracting nutritious foods as a form of compensation. It will impair your ability to digest the treat and lead to more food anxiety over time.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Carbs are very seldom converted to fat, even in a calorie surplus. What happens in a calorie surplus is that you store almost everything of incoming fat and burn less of stored bodyfat, and burn off the incoming carbs for energy. Only under rare circumstances will carbs be converted to fat...

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    all my weight gain came from carbs gorbag
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    all my weight gain came from carbs gorbag
    I don't doubt that at all - but did you not eat any fat at all then - zero fat??? What we know is that carbs will hardly be converted to fat, but you will still be fat if overeating carbs, only that it is incoming fat that will be stored as fat in your body...

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    true, by the end I was eating 80% carbs. Its no wonder I'm dying
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    I eat about 25% of my calories from carbs, so but sometimes I want to indulge in a high-carb, high-glycemic pastry or sweet. I'm wondering, I know having a lot of carbs at once can spike insulin and cause excess carbs to store as fat
    Depends on who you are (genetics), your lifestyle (sedentary, couch potato or always on the move), your meal frequency (from once a day to grazing all day long) and meal composition.

but when I have a cheat day but still eat within my calorie limits, I know I won't gain weight but will I still gain fat? Or is fat gain just calorie in, calorie out?
    Here is the deal: whether you eat primal or not, you will store fat to some extent (whether from excess dietary fat or carbs). What matters is how you can maximize fat oxidation so that you do not store MORE fat than you really want and maintain a healthy body fat / lean tissue ratio and overall weight.

I don't want to be restrictive and I'm wondering if I can include some carby indulgences once in a while.
    If you are metabolically "broken" (insulin resistant, etc) then I see why you talk about restricting carbs. What would matter in this case is to restore your insulin sensitivity. That could be from restricting carbs and / or fasting for long periods (like 20h / day).
    If you are already lean and healthy, there is no such thing as "restriction" so long as your body is efficient at oxidizing the fuel you provide it and that is stored.

Please don't recommend eating a paleo dessert instead or something like that; sometimes I'm just craving a biscotti and I want a biscotti, but I want to know if that will affect my body composition.
    Well, it depends on the meaning of "sometimes". If your biscotti is made out of wheat, then you can find yourself eating more of them than you think ... if you have not done that, ditch wheat entirely from your diet.

If it is a rice-cake or whatever starch flour that is not full of gluten, the "sometimes" could turn into seldom as you are eating otherwise very healthy foods (primal). The power of wheat is strong and makes you crave for it, now you know.

Regarding body composition, as long as you move your butt a lot (lots of walking and a few heavier workouts during the week + some sprints here and there), you will do absolutely fine. If you start from obese / morbidly obese, go very low carb and moderate protein - high fat for a while and fix your weight issue. When you get close to your ideal weight (like 10-15 lbs above), up your carbs and cycle your macros (VLC for 4-5 days, high carb low fat for 1-2 days). And when I say carbs, prefer the healthy starches (potato, plantain, even white rice occasionally, even not so ripe bananas) and avoid refined sugars and stuff high in fructose.
    Last edited by dkJames; 06-02-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    true, by the end I was eating 80% carbs. Its no wonder I'm dying
    OK, and if I remember correctly, the scientific literature mention that de-novo lipogenesis(= carbs converted to fat) CAN happen, but you need 700 - 900 grams of carbs(!) for several days for an average person, AFTER the glycogen stores of the body are already full - and you must also be in a calorie surplus for it to take place...

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    OK, and if I remember correctly, the scientific literature mention that de-novo lipogenesis(= carbs converted to fat) CAN happen, but you need 700 - 900 grams of carbs(!) for several days for an average person, AFTER the glycogen stores of the body are already full - and you must also be in a calorie surplus for it to take place...
    I guess, all it would take is to NOT deplete your glycogen store, and continue to eat carbs, especially fructose + dietary fat. Since insulin inhibits fat oxidation momentarily, fat + fructose ingested all day long while lying in bed would make you really fat rather fast

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I don't doubt that at all - but did you not eat any fat at all then - zero fat??? What we know is that carbs will hardly be converted to fat, but you will still be fat if overeating carbs, only that it is incoming fat that will be stored as fat in your body...
    Interesting... so does this imply that, should you overeat calorie-wise, dietary fat is what gets stored, rather than dietary carbs?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast