Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Do excess carbs turn to fat, even within calorie limits? page 15

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    And the battle rages on...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    wow im getting confused...
    so i always thought high-glycemic carbs, or a lot of carbs at once, raised insulin which then stored the carbs as fat easily because the body digests them faster. But some seem to say dietary fat, not carbs, are stored directly as fat. Then why is it you can get "skinny fat" eating a high-carb diet, but not so on a high fat diet?

Also, I'm speaking of a high-carb day once in a while where I can not care about my macro ratios as much, not as a lifestyle change. I have no insulin, diabetic, or metabolic issues and am not at all overweight.
    Because you are thinking in absolutes. You burn both glucose and fat all day. The ratio changes depending on substrate levels and activity. The higher the intensity the more glucose. The lower the intensity the more fat. Unless you still have glucose in your blood then the preferred substrate will be glucose.

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    wow im getting confused...
    so i always thought high-glycemic carbs, or a lot of carbs at once, raised insulin which then stored the carbs as fat easily because the body digests them faster. But some seem to say dietary fat, not carbs, are stored directly as fat. Then why is it you can get "skinny fat" eating a high-carb diet, but not so on a high fat diet?

Also, I'm speaking of a high-carb day once in a while where I can not care about my macro ratios as much, not as a lifestyle change. I have no insulin, diabetic, or metabolic issues and am not at all overweight.
    What chima said is accurate. In addition, the statement that insulin stores carbs as fat isn't correct, either. What actually is happening is that when you ingest foods rich in glucose, it inhibits fatty acid burn. As a consequence, the dietary fat you consume along with the glucose is stored. Example: you eat a baked potato with butter. The starch elevates your blood glucose and there is an ensuing insulin rise. Glucose is burnt preferentially and the dietary fat from the butter is stored. Of course, nothing is 100%. You aren't burning 100% glucose and 0% fat, but the ratio is skewed heavily in glucose's favor to the point where FFA oxidation is relatively negligible versus a fasted state.

Of course, none of this matters if you aren't consuming a caloric surplus. If you ARE consuming a caloric surplus, though, it's the dietary fat being stored. Unless you're eating a nearly zero fat diet (>10% total daily calories), it's pretty much always the fat being stored.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    then if someone were to gain weight but ate a high-fat, high protein, and low carb diet, would they technically gain more body fat because the dietary fat is stored? because i always got the impression that someone on a high-carb diet (say, eating the same calorie excess) would gain more body fat

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    then if someone were to gain weight but ate a high-fat, high protein, and low carb diet, would they technically gain more body fat because the dietary fat is stored? because i always got the impression that someone on a high-carb diet (say, eating the same calorie excess) would gain more body fat

Skip to five minutes in to where he begins on caloric surplus and potential fat gain in a month.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Good question. We do not seem to have an answer. Hopefully one day we will know enough about cell biology to answer this.
    For me "empirical answer" is not useful given the difficulty in controlling dietary experiments.
    Few but ripe.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    A high carb diet will fire up the metabolism more compared to a high fat diet with the same amount of calories, so the burn off/output will be somehow bigger. More energy will be wasted in production of heat and recovery processes so that will make a higher daily energy expenditure, so yes you will gain more on high fat...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Depends. So here is the crib notes version.

Studies of ad libitum eating tend to favor high fat lower carb for improved body composition.

Metabolic ward studies were calories are strictly monitored show little difference.

Resistance training is by far the variable that effects lean mass the most. That's either retaining it in a deficit or adding it rather than fat in a surplus.

Eating enough protein is the next most important in a deficit.....but you may not require as much in a surplus. This however is many degrees less important than resistance training.

That's about all that I think can be said without extreme bias. Some very interesting stuff in the IF arena though that's not covered here.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    But say you wanted to gain weight through muscle; doesn't Mark say in his gaining muscle article to eat a lot of fat, while keeping insulin low? How to Gain Weight and Build Muscle | Mark's Daily Apple

sting is offline Senior Member

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast