Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 151

Thread: Do excess carbs turn to fat, even within calorie limits? page 11

  1. #101
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,808
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Says who?
    Says the scientific literature. There is a reason I left your quote up to "hunter gatherers..." as that is specifically the 200+ societies that this literature discusses getting 70+ percent of their daily calories from hunted animals. It really doesn't matter as I actually agree that they were not expending huge amounts of energy to bring home a salad. They would prefer nutrient AND caloric density of animals, tubers, and fruits to that of leaves and grass. All in all though the brunt of my post was to pinpoint that the common denominator for many aspects of good health may very well be low cumulative insulin rather than worrying strictly about macro proportions.

  2. #102
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Says the scientific literature. There is a reason I left your quote up to "hunter gatherers..." as that is specifically the 200+ societies that this literature discusses getting 70+ percent of their daily calories from hunted animals. It really doesn't matter as I actually agree that they were not expending huge amounts of energy to bring home a salad. They would prefer nutrient AND caloric density of animals, tubers, and fruits to that of leaves and grass. All in all though the brunt of my post was to pinpoint that the common denominator for many aspects of good health may very well be low cumulative insulin rather than worrying strictly about macro proportions.
    What scientific literature? The same scientific literature that says saturated fat and cholesterol promotes heart disease? I don't believe that. So few traditional societies still in existence eat high protein. They're almost all carbivores. Given how the human metabolism works - carbohydrate upregulates CO2 production vs fats resulting in large drops in estrogen, cortisol and adrenaline and greatly increases mitochondrial output and boosts the metabolic rate - I don't see it as logical. All this stuff is opinion. Nobody really knows. It's assumption vs assumption. When you get right down to it, the better approach is actual science vs assumption, and carbohydrate + equal proportions of gelatinous and muscular protein with a deemphasis on fat (but which fat is there being predominantly saturated) seems to be the way to go. And that's what I try to do.

    Example: my dinner last night was 1.08 lbs of frozen wild caught Mahi Mahi filets from Trader Joe's. I salted and peppered them and left them to drain, then coated them in a heaping teaspoon of coconut. I broiled them (no added fat) until crispy, turning once. In a bowl, I mixed a bunch of homemade pico de gallo with probably almost a cup of Trader Joe's 1% organic plain yogurt. I ate them in lettuce wraps. I followed that with a bowl of pureed canned pumpkin mixed with more of that 1% yogurt with another heaping teaspoon of shredded coconut with a handful of chocolate chips and cinnamon.

    Relatively low fat, but what fat was there was saturated from coconut and chocolate. This meal was very low carbohydrate, but I'm cutting for summer a bit. Tonight after a workout, I'll do something very similar but with baked plantain chips and corn tortilla wraps instead of lettuce wraps. I'm having some good success eating this way.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  3. #103
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Says who? Humans evolved around the equator. Migration from non-equatorial regions is fairly Neolithic. Equatorial regions have year-long growing seasons and ample fruits. Why would you go through all the trouble of hunting potentially dangerous (and relatively lean) game when you can simply pick fruits? Traditional societies in Africa and the Pacific consume relatively low protein diets rich in sugars, starches and in many cases, coconut fats. It's actually a very Peatarian diet

    I really don't care what societies like the Inuit ate. The comparison is drawn so often around here, yet they're a Neolithic society. Isn't that funny? They're also possibly the most haggard and fastest-aging society out there.
    The rest of this is just funny. Basically you say.....

    "I really like what these groups eat cause they confirm my Peatarian world view..."

    "I really don't like what the Inuit eat cause they make me think my Peatarian world view could be incomplete...."

  4. #104
    Shadowknight137's Avatar
    Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    613
    Oh look, this argument again.

    How new and exciting.

  5. #105
    Zanna's Avatar
    Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    736
    So, I'm not the most scientifically astute person, but is there really an argument to be made that fruit is anything other than a biologically preferred food? Who learns to eat kale or try to make it edible unless they don't have other options?

  6. #106
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    What scientific literature? The same scientific literature that says saturated fat and cholesterol promotes heart disease? ....
    I'm cutting you short cause your going off on several tangents that I don't care to follow. The scientific literature in question is called anthropology. Rather than being some theoretical framework (which all of your tangents are regardless of if you know that or not), this is the collection of first person data by people visiting and cataloging how these groups actually live. So well I should say very little guess work required.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-05-2013 at 12:39 PM.

  7. #107
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Oh look, this argument again.

    How new and exciting.
    Yeah, but choco just can't take an olive branch when its extended....

    "It really doesn't matter as I actually agree that they were not expending huge amounts of energy to bring home a salad. They would prefer nutrient AND caloric density of animals, tubers, and fruits to that of leaves and grass. All in all though the brunt of my post was to pinpoint that the common denominator for many aspects of good health may very well be low cumulative insulin rather than worrying strictly about macro proportions. "- ME

  8. #108
    statikcat's Avatar
    statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    So, I'm not the most scientifically astute person, but is there really an argument to be made that fruit is anything other than a biologically preferred food? Who learns to eat kale or try to make it edible unless they don't have other options?
    +1

  9. #109
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    The rest of this is just funny. Basically you say.....

    "I really like what these groups eat cause they confirm my Peatarian world view..."

    "I really don't like what the Inuit eat cause they make me think my Peatarian world view could be incomplete...."
    That's not what I said at all.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  10. #110
    Euphoric's Avatar
    Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    130
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Your glycogen stores are almost never full. Your liver depletes completely overnight. Eating lunch at 12pm and then dinner at 6pm is plenty of time to free up glycogen in your liver and muscles just sitting on your butt at a desk at work to create space. If you're consuming too many carbs that they're being stored as fat, it's because you're simply consuming too many calories.
    Generally, I follow most of what you say on here. However, this comment confounds me some. I thought muscle glyocgen was saved until you performed something strenuous, and only then.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •