Thread: tabata and heart rate page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

tabata and heart rate

Shop Now
    Last time I tried sprints, almost 2 months ago, I peed all over myself and haven't had the courage to try again since. I decided I would try doing sprints on an exercise bike. Much better. I didn't pee on myself.

The exercise bike takes my heart rate. If my maximum heart rate is 220 - age = 172 and I reached 172, was I going too hard? It actually felt easier on the bike than on the track.

(I did the tabata thing using an app that beeps at me. So 8 sets of 20 seconds with 10 second rests is what I think it does.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    220-age is a good estimate for populations but not so good for predicting an individuals max HR. If you are really curious as to what your max HR may be you can try a protocol like this. If the bike you are using displays cadence you could do test 2 but just increase resistance or levels or whatever the bike has while trying to keep your cadence the same. Having done more VO2 max tests than I'd like to think about I can promise you this - if you are truly at your max the word "easier" will not be the one to describe what you are going through

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I have never done tabatas on an exercise bike - usually just 2 cycles of some type of calisthenics. If done at sufficient intensity, it pretty well throttles you. as above, the word "easier" doesn't stay in the vocabulary.

Well, I admit I nearly fell off the bike getting off it. Some guy asked me a question just as I was getting off, too, and I nearly passed out on top of him. But it did feel easier on the bike because I wasn't going to trip or fall and I could close my eyes. I don't know how these exercise bikes work though. I had some trouble figuring out how to set it right so I could pedal fast as I could with the right resistance. I set it for 5 but that was way tooo faaassstttt--no resistance. So I managed to set it for 10 and that was better. Does it go higher than 10?

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    "209-(0.9 x age) for women" gives me 165.8 for my max heart rate. I didn't blow up. I was pretty beat and jelly-legged but I recovered by going for a mile or 2 walk around the lagoon.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    "209-(0.9 x age) for women" gives me 165.8 for my max heart rate. I didn't blow up. I was pretty beat and jelly-legged but I recovered by going for a mile or 2 walk around the lagoon.
    Sounds like you did it right!

I guess that max heart rate is meaningless then. Another CW thing meant to help you slowly melt into your sofa?

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    That was extrapolated from a survey done 50 years ago of a single study, with a small sample of untrained individuals, likely all smokers. Amazing the 220-age has lingered around this long, since it was based on such bad science.