Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thyroid damage from eating paleo? page

Thyroid damage from eating paleo?

Shop Now
    I was just reading a blog that said many people come out of eating a paleo diet with thyroid damage. Has anyone else heard this? What's the science behind it? I'm hypothyroid due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The last thing I need is further thyroid damage. Thoughts?
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i'm failing to see how eating everything but flour and canola oil could damage anything

maybe they were low carbing it. maybe they were high carbing it. probably they weren't getting proper nutrition.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Go look up some of Robb Wolf and Chris Kressers posts on thyroid. A wealth of info there

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Low carb dieting of any persuasion can aggravate underlying thyroid issues. It can be avoided by simply eating adequate carbs. Starches, fruit, chocolate, dairy.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Foods that Cause Hypothyroidism » Diagnosis: Diet

This post by Dr. Ede might be worth a read for you, Ann.

Paleo diets tend to be very high in a lot of veggies that block absorption of iodine.

Moral of the story is choose your veggies wisely.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    To answer OP.... no science to it. Hashimotos thyroiditis responds great to a paleo diet as it is an autoimmune disease.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I have Hashimotos. I been eating paleo for about a 1.5 years now. I was on levothyroxine before starting to eat a paleo diet. I did really well eating paleo for the first 3 months. I felt great and would get comments from people about how good and healthy I looked.

About 5 months into it, I decided to go LC and then VLC. After a month if that I was totally tanked. My hair was falling out like crazy. I had weight gain even though I watched my calories and went to the gym 6 days a week. I had other issues with LC too.

I do really well with paleo now. I eat plenty of fruit, sometimes potatoes and some dairy. I had a thyroid ultrasound done a month ago and it showed a cyst. The doc said not to worry bc it wasn't inflamed. I accredit that partially to eating paleo, meaning no inflammatory oils or gluten.

I also agree with what J3nn and paleobird posted above.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Just don't limit carbs too severely.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

gfsfme is offline Junior Member
    For what its worth, have had Hashimoto's for 16 years now, been on levothyroxine and was taking a very high dose (200mcg) I started eating paleo about 8 weeks ago and my thyroid meds are being decreased for the first time in all those years! Down from 200mcg to 150mcg. Coincidence ? I really doubt it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast