Thread: Can too much vit d cause hair loss? page

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member

Can too much vit d cause hair loss?

Shop Now
    On my latest trip to the barbers the hairdresser politely told me to think about using bay rum on my hair to promote hair growth. Since then I have bought some Alpecin caffeine shampoo which I doubt will help matters however looking at reviews someone mentioned over supplementing on vitamin d can cause hair loss and it is about two years ago when I started taking vit d that I have noticed my hair start to thin - is there anything in this or just a coincidence? For the record I take 5000iu a day due to the lack of sun in England.

Thanks,
    Nick.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Not in my experience. In fact it seems to help it remain and grow.

Vitamin D Blood Levels - Life Extension
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Nope. That amount of D3 is fine.

Are you getting enough eggs, seafood and liver for micronutrients?

OK cool as I have to admit after reading that I was wondering whether to cut down but I imagine it is more to do with ageing and my hair not growing back the same after chemotherapy.

I don't eat eggs as they give me terrible acne (along with dairy) but I should be good with the other two.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Excess vitamin d can cause imbalance between other fat soluble vitamins so make so you're getting adequate vitamin a, k2, etc;

They work synergistically
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezerinno View Post
    OK cool as I have to admit after reading that I was wondering whether to cut down but I imagine it is more to do with ageing and my hair not growing back the same after chemotherapy.

I don't eat eggs as they give me terrible acne (along with dairy) but I should be good with the other two.
    HI PEZERINO!!!!!!!!

I thought I recognized the handle. So good to hear from you.

So, how was the chemo?

Yes, hair does weird things after chemo. At first mine grew in absolutely shock white for about a half an inch. Then it came in curly, like Shirley Temple ringlets when I had never had curly hair before. That phase has worn off and now my hair is back to normal.

I had a friend who had naturally curly hair that went completely straight for a while after chemo. It takes a long while to get all that completely out of your system.

richard is offline Senior Member
    I often consume 50,000 units of D3 per day with no ill effects. Take it with K2 and some A.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    HI PEZERINO!!!!!!!!

I thought I recognized the handle. So good to hear from you.

So, how was the chemo?

Yes, hair does weird things after chemo. At first mine grew in absolutely shock white for about a half an inch. Then it came in curly, like Shirley Temple ringlets when I had never had curly hair before. That phase has worn off and now my hair is back to normal.

I had a friend who had naturally curly hair that went completely straight for a while after chemo. It takes a long while to get all that completely out of your system.
    Hi Paleobird! Well remembered! Chemo wasn't too bad thank you and my post doc visits have been fine so fingers crossed. Yeah I have heard all sorts of funny hair stories post chemo and it can take a while for everything to settle down so to speak. I hope all is good your end too?

I will look into vitamins a and k - what are some good foods to eat that naturally contain high amounts?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezerinno View Post
    Hi Paleobird! Well remembered! Chemo wasn't too bad thank you and my post doc visits have been fine so fingers crossed. Yeah I have heard all sorts of funny hair stories post chemo and it can take a while for everything to settle down so to speak. I hope all is good your end too?

I will look into vitamins a and k - what are some good foods to eat that naturally contain high amounts?
    I just passed the five year post treatment mark in February. I no longer have an oncologist. Yay!

I would recommend some liver fried in lots of butter on a bed of spinach.

Fantastic news and thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just passed the five year post treatment mark in February. I no longer have an oncologist. Yay!

I would recommend some liver fried in lots of butter on a bed of spinach.