Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black pudding (aka blood sausage) page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Black pudding (aka blood sausage)

Shop Now
    Hi. I've been eating black pudding a coupe of times recently - made with gluten free oats and very small amount of them. I was wondering about the nutritional value of this - minerals, vitamins etc. Does anyone have any ideas???

The most recent one was an Orkney black pudding - delicious, but different. More dense. Presumably lower oats? If any...

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hi there, oats have quite a bit of phytic acid, which will bind to minerals that would be in the blood pudding. it's tough to decrease the phytate in oats, too. so that's a bummer. some of the proteins can upset people with celiac, but i don't believe that matters much for the rest of us.

i have no clue what the nutritional value of any specific brand is.

Paleobird Guest
    If one could find an oat free version, it would be the closest thing to "going Massai" that we could do (we being urban folk not butchering our own cattle).

jaczor is offline Member
    I don't know if you can find it in your neck of the woods, but in Spain as well as in Venezuela (and I'm sure other latin american countries as well) they make blood saussage with onions instead of rice or oats, as far as I can tell it's 100% paleo because it's all blood, pork, onions, spices and the casing.

I'm trying to find nutritional information on it, I'm guessing that they pack quite a bit of calories, but they are delicious! just had some for lunch today

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Jaczor - is that morcilla? I've never had it - but now I'm tempted!

jaczor is offline Member
    Yes it is! the most popular kind in Spain is "Morcilla de Burgos", which is made with rice and it tastes awesome, but the ones made with onions are just as good, the biggest difference is the texture. My butcher just got some made with onions that also have pine nuts in them, unbelievably good.

Ill take pics when I cook some later this week.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jaczor View Post
    Yes it is! the most popular kind in Spain is "Morcilla de Burgos", which is made with rice and it tastes awesome, but the ones made with onions are just as good, the biggest difference is the texture. My butcher just got some made with onions that also have pine nuts in them, unbelievably good.

Ill take pics when I cook some later this week.
    Want!!!!

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Oh hey.... look what I can buy on my lunchbreak today: Brindisa Morcilla I Brindisa Spanish Foods

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    Oh hey.... look what I can buy on my lunchbreak today: Brindisa Morcilla I Brindisa Spanish Foods
    Thanks for the link! Shall be ordering some..

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I just sent them an email to see if they will ship across the pond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast