Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Current lifts in KG
    Squat - 52.5
    dead - 70
    row - 47.5
    bench 37.5
    press - 35

keep in mind these arent 1 rep maxes. Just the latest weights ive moved on the program.
    I think i will switch to 3x5
    I like 3 x 5 better, but even 5 x 5 of these shouldn't be knocking you out too badly, unless you weigh 40 kg. Lots of room for linear progress, just make sure you keep eating and sleeping and adding weight to the bar.

dabears is offline Member
    switching rep schemes to reverse pyramid training is another option

say you bench 185x5 as your 5RM

you would warmup properly then bench 185 x 5. Take as much rest as required to recover then

Remove ~10% of the weight (I like to round down to keep intensity) So 18.5 = 15 lbs.

Bench 170 x 6. Because you've removed the 10%, it is right around the amount required to get one more rep than previous set.

Continue... 150 x 7. 135 x 8.

You want to have sufficient volume to grow... 24-30 reps is a good "sweet spot". With this method, you've completed 4 sets, all to your 5/6/7/8 RM, and hit that volume sweet spot for growth (26 reps total).

I prefer this over straight set reps, but the exercises themselves that stronglifts recommends are still crucial

Finding your 5RM to start is important obviously.

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    You guys are awesome, this forum is awesome.
    What I plan to do is switch to 3x5 but stay on SL and keep it up for aslong as possible. Then start getting a bit more creative with the rep schemes in due time.

My goals atm are Strength with a secondary focus on muscle mass, but that generally comes with the territory if i eat well right?

H2ODawgs is offline Junior Member
    What I like about SS vs SL is that on SS you're moving heavier weights quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by H2ODawgs View Post
    What I like about SS vs SL is that on SS you're moving heavier weights quicker.
    How so? is it because of less volume?

If I were to drop to 3x5, I'm practically doing SS minus the power cleans and instead rows. So, isn't that a good thing right?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    How so? is it because of less volume?

If I were to drop to 3x5, I'm practically doing SS minus the power cleans and instead rows. So, isn't that a good thing right?
    No, because you don't start with the empty bar. But you've already started, so I think this is just a point of confusion.

It's a better thing if you can learn to do the power clean. Because it helps drive all the other lifts up by being explosive. (recruits more muscle fibers blah blah).

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    No, because you don't start with the empty bar. But you've already started, so I think this is just a point of confusion.

It's a better thing if you can learn to do the power clean. Because it helps drive all the other lifts up by being explosive. (recruits more muscle fibers blah blah).
    Ehh, I don't really care for learning it. I'm not saying your wrong, but, I'm happy with the program as is, and I'm making awesome strength gains in a short period of time.

I was just wondering if I should change the program to something like 3x5, because SL seems to cop a lot of shit for being a bad/ripped off/high volume/bad program and I wasn't sure why.

Ehh, I don't really care for learning it. I'm not saying your wrong, but, I'm happy with the program as is, and I'm making awesome strength gains in a short period of time.

I was just wondering if I should change the program to something like 3x5, because SL seems to cop a lot of shit for being a bad/ripped off/high volume/bad program and I wasn't sure why.
    You're way better off skipping power cleans and doing the rest of the lifts than not doing the rest of the lifts. I'm not saying it's crucial. If you're making progress with what you're doing, stick with it. Maybe think about adding some different dynamic work once you're done with your novice phase (maybe speed squats?).

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're way better off skipping power cleans and doing the rest of the lifts than not doing the rest of the lifts. I'm not saying it's crucial. If you're making progress with what you're doing, stick with it. Maybe think about adding some different dynamic work once you're done with your novice phase (maybe speed squats?).
    I am! just that im not sure if gains would be better served by me doung 3x5 as opposed to the normal 5x5 in SL. This is all based purely on gaining strength. When im done milking my novice gains I plan on changing things up, but i want a strength base first. Would that be best served by a 3x5 or a 5x5 approch?
    Im leaning towards 3, what do you think?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am! just that im not sure if gains would be better served by me doung 3x5 as opposed to the normal 5x5 in SL. This is all based purely on gaining strength. When im done milking my novice gains I plan on changing things up, but i want a strength base first. Would that be best served by a 3x5 or a 5x5 approch?
    Im leaning towards 3, what do you think?
    I already voted for 3 x 5 in this thread and your other thread.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast