Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk - why didnt anyone tell me! page

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member

Coconut milk - why didnt anyone tell me!

Shop Now
    I finallydecided to open the can of coconut milk I bought when going primal 2.5 months ago...OMG that stuff is delicious...should be illegal lol

So is it ok to have say 1/2c after dinner as a dessert? My brand has guar gum in it...is that bad? R there any us brands without additives?

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I'd be more concerned about the BPA lined cans, if that's what you are using. Ideally, you want coconut milk that only contains coconut and water.
    Aroy-D is available in paper cartons.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Aroy-D is what paleobird recommended, and I've purchased several cartons since.
    Last edited by diene; 05-30-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: cans --> cartons

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    My next step is to try and make my own. Some friends held a demonstration recently about making your own, it was (or at least looked) surprisingly easy. All you need is a coconut, a blender, and either cheesecloth or a nut-milk bag. From one $2-3 coconut they got more than a blender full of coconut milk!

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    I just checked amazon for aroy...I'm assuming I want the coconut cream not coconut milk right?

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    definitely want coconut cream, it's just that some cans/containers say coconut milk...but generally coconut milk is more liquid like a milk substitute.

i wouldn't worry about guar gum, Mark had a post on that.
    The Wonderful World of Coconut Products | Mark's Daily Apple

the only thing to be careful of is that your tummy might initially react to the guar gum if you're consuming a large amount too suddenly. but just go with and test it out. if you can make it great! but from what i've seen almost all commercial varieties have guar gum. i agree with Graycat about the BPA lining. best to get those without if possible.

oh and for non-dairy creamer i add a few tablespoons of coconut oil to a can and mix (you can also add an egg or egg yolk but not necessary). it's a great substitute!

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member
    Can I just confirm creamed coconut is also just as good for you? I buy the biona organic creamed coconut 200g blocks which you just mix with water to make coconut milk.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aprimalmomma View Post
    I finallydecided to open the can of coconut milk I bought when going primal 2.5 months ago...OMG that stuff is delicious...should be illegal lol

So is it ok to have say 1/2c after dinner as a dessert? My brand has guar gum in it...is that bad? R there any us brands without additives?

congratulations

you have journeyed beyond the false warnings of saturated fats, the rewards are now yours to reap
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Bet
    Bet is offline Junior Member
    The Goya brand of Coconut Milk does not have any guar gum or other additives.

I think coconut cream is what is put into drinks like Pina Coladas. Coconut Milk is a bit thinner, but does have some thick cream on top that you can blend in. I use it in recipes instead of milk or cream.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I get cartons of coconut milk at Trader Joes or Kroger, it's in the same area as rice milk, soy milk, sunflower milk, etc. It's not chilled, so look in the aisles; check the baking aisle. The kind I get at TJ's is just coconut milk, probably with some water added. I also get coconut creamer which I am pretty sure is just 100% coconut milk without any watering down.

Is it okay to have for dessert? Why not? A tasty naturally found liquid seems pretty Primal to me.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast