Thread: To lower BG, should I up fats when hungry? page

Aili is offline Senior Member

To lower BG, should I up fats when hungry?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all- 2 questions
    Some may know that I am on a journey to lower my BG levels which are in the 6s (pre-primal my last test had been 5.1). I was told to keep protein levels down too since excess protein can convert to BG. Well, today my fasting BG was 7.4 (BP= 104/77, pulse 80), the highest yet after working to change my food intake (been primal for 2 years, no dairy for a few weeks so more paleo now). Yesterday I had 119 grams of protein, while I ought to have had 1/2 of that according to formula. The protein was from fish and a small piece of liver. Anyway, if my carbs are already where I want them to be (55 grams yesterday) should I just have a spoonful of fat to alleviate hunger (felt hungry at supper time). Yesterday my calories were 1300 with 119 gm protein, 112 gm fat and 55 gm carbs (28,59,13%, respectively, of total cals).
    Today, I began the day with no berries and with low carb greens plus a boiled organic egg. I thought that maybe if I cut out fructose completely I could 'save' so that when hunger hits later in the day, I could maybe have say a veg stir-fry or something.
    1. What are your thoughts re the above statement?
    2. The other question is...How often should I eat for BG to be even and lower? I simply am not hungry often and have been eating only when hungry for quite some time, IFing at times for 20 hours. I have cut coffee to one in the morning.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Aili; 05-30-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yes, too high in protein. Try Mark's advice of 1g protein to lean weight or .7g protein to body weight (or to lean weight). IMO your protein is much too high. And the body can convert proteins to glucose.

Yes, replace the protein with good fats. Change your macros to around 60% fats, 25% protein, 15%

I think that if you up your fats this much you won't become hungry and could cut out fruits & berries altogether. Fats really will 'fill you up'. As for IFing, it's to give your digestion and body a rest. So if you can eat the same amount of nutrients in a shorter window of time that's good for your body. It shouldn't change the amount of nutrients you get though.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Thanks Cryptocode. I looked back and my protein levels have wavered from 20 something to yesterdays which was the highest. My carb levels waver too from the 40s to over 100. Fats are my highest percentage each day but I can see that if I eat below 50 carbs, moderate protein, and good fats, it should even things out. Eating 'regularly' does not work for me, only when I am hungry so I guess I let BG go up and down too much. I am trying to eat a bit after rising, since BG is high first thing for me and lowers significantly after eating something. I am cutting out fructose for the time being.

otzi Guest
    Aili - I have been a bit fanatical about my BG as well. Prior to my Primal Blueprint journey almost 3 years ago, I was firmly pre-diabetic with FBG consistently in the 130's (6.3-6.7 in your scale), sometimes higher. After starting PB, FBG dropped into the 100-110 range (5.3-5.7). Not great, but not pre-diabetic. Over the next 2 years, mostly low carb like you, it crept up to 110-130 again (5.7-6.3).

For the last 6 months, I have been tracking and charting BG and found some interesting tricks to lowering it.

- Eat most of your protein and starch at your first meal of the day.
    - Eat a hefty portion of starch every day, like 1 potato or sweet potato, a big pile of rice, squash, plantains, etc... This isn't as many carbs/calories as you'd think. Cut back just a bit equally on fat and protein to accommodate the extra calories.
    - Mix a spoonful of raw, unmodified potato starch in with some sour cream or yogurt and eat on a potato. This will provide resistant starch to the meal which exhibits a powerful second-meal effect, meaning it will lower your BG dramatically at your next meal. If done in the evening, it will lower your FBG as well.

Doing these things, I have brought my FBG down to the 80-90 range (under 5.0). The best trick, though, was the raw potato starch.

Here are a couple papers that talk about second meal effect and meal timing/composition and FBG if you are interested. Pretty boring stuff, though: http://images.abbottnutrition.com/AN...on%20Table.pdf

Extended effects of evening meal carbohydrate-to-fat ratio on fasting and postprandial substrate metabolism

The Second-Meal Phenomenon in Type 2 Diabetes

THANKS Otzi! This fabulous information! good bedtime reading! I'll check back once I've had a read. I don't have potato starch and have been off dairy (out of curiosity) b/c I suspect I have sinus issues with it, but yogurt is OK. I am excited to try it and follow you down your BG path to below 5. Thanks again!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    THANKS Otzi! This fabulous information! good bedtime reading! I'll check back once I've had a read. I don't have potato starch and have been off dairy (out of curiosity) b/c I suspect I have sinus issues with it, but yogurt is OK. I am excited to try it and follow you down your BG path to below 5. Thanks again!
    Send me a PM to be sure I see any questions you might have. The potato starch can be mixed with water as well--just has to be in a raw state, not heated. I add it to a smoothie sometimes, too. It basically turns all the carbs in a meal into low GI carbs. It's not a deal breaker if you don't use it. I just found it sped the process.

Your best friend in this journey should be your BG monitor. On several mornings take readings upon waking, then every 30-60 minutes until you eat, and watch for trends. If it's really high when waking and gradually drops for several hours until you eat, that could simply be a meal timing issue. If it's high and stays high, that's a true insulin sensitivity problem.

For people with BG problems, going too LC causes problems in insulin sensitivity that adding some good carbs like potatoes, rice, etc, every day can clear up quickly. It's also good to take BG readings after several different type meals at 15-20 minute intervals for 2-4 hours to get a feel for what is really happening. I know the strips are expensive, but it's worth it in peace of mind and keeping BG in control.