Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zanna's Journal page

Zanna is offline Senior Member

Zanna's Journal

I've been reading other journals for a while and want to join in! I started primal about a year and a half ago - transition wasn't hard since I always avoided processed foods. My goal has mainly been for health but there's some vanity involved too. Always trying to lose the last 10 lbs, even though I'm now in pretty good shape. I've tried a bunch of stuff on the way (LC, VLC, low-fat, potatoes!). I finally just said to hell with all that and focus on what I like that is still healthy. Found my back to eating mostly eggs, seafood, meat, potatoes/tubers and fruit. I really don't eat veggies, they make my stomach hurt and I doubt I'm missing much for nutrition.

Food for today:
    2 eggs in coconut oil and some diced onion
    A bunch of pineapple
    Cup of bone broth with powdered gelatin
    Coffee with heavy cream and honey (replenished throughout the AM)

Sardines in oil
    Pink grapefruit

Ground beef browned with garlic, onions then dusted with potato flour and a cup of hot bone broth to make a gravy. Add heavy cream. Yum
    Mashed potatoes - don't know how much, I don't weigh anything. Probably too much but could have eaten all of it. Tried not to lick out the remainders from the kids' bowl. Used a spoon instead!

Dagoba Mexican hot chocolate with powdered gelatin

Vitamins/supplements
    Blue Ice Royal fermented cod liver oil/butter oil (vit D and A)
    Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice in water, all day
    Amazing Grass Green Superfood (with ENERGY!!!) 1st thing in the am
    Great Lakes powdered grass-fed gelatin powder. Twice a day - in the am with bone broth and pm with hot chocolate
    Vega post workout recovery powder

WOD
    Les Mills Body Pump - weight-lifting class. I love it but am giving cross fit a go this summer to ramp up the fitness before starting racquetball tourney season. So this was probably my last class for a while. 1st on boarding for cross fit tomorrow - my intro session left me whipped so I have high hopes for more pain! I'll probably wish I hadn't done this last body pump class by this time tomorrow, but we'll see . . .

Sleep - eh, 7 hours. Have to take some kind of night time meds to fall asleep most nights, unless I want to make red wine my friend. Tylenol PM or something usually does the trick - haven't had much luck with Valerian and my one experience with Ambien left me trapped in a nightmare dreamscape full of menacing construction paper bunny monsters so fuck that.

amyamaretto2783 is offline Junior Member
    Have you tried Melatonin for sleep? I use it to help my kids wind down after a long day. It's non habit forming and gentle...yeah construction paper bunny nightmares? Eek no thanks! Your menu sounds nice. I'm hard core into veggies though, but I know some people that can't do them so you're doing well with what you have to work with. Have a good day!

Grok On! <3

Hi Amyamaretto! I haven't tried Melatonin yet, don't know much about it. I'll have to do some research . . . Can't be worse than the other alternatives. The paper bunny nightmares were so strange - in any other state I could wake myself up or maybe conjure up some dreamy scissors to deal it but was totally trapped. Never thought construction paper could be so menacing!

Eh, no crossfit for me. I think I'll try sticking with my usual classes with extra doses of racquetball before laying out all that money for cross fit. So, how do you usually celebrate blowing off a workout? Caramel ice cream with caramel streaks and sea salt and dark chocolate bits. OMG good.

So I have my usual crockpot of bone broth bubbling away on the counter. I do a batch about every 2 weeks and use it every day. But . . . Temps are climbing this weekend - should be a sticky wet 94 degrees tomorrow and a perpetual crockpot of broth isn't helping. There is an obvious answer, which is to put my pressure cooker to use. Apparently, the broth I cook for 4 days in the crockpot could be done in far less time, less energy used blah blah blah. I like not wasting things - one of the reasons I love making broth, so why waste energy when I could use the pressure cooker and cut down on kitchen heat too?

I am afraid of using my pressure cooker. I bought it 2 summers ago, when I first started canning. I had visions of fully stocked shelves of veggies, sauce, stews etc. I threw myself into water bath canning - my house swims in mason jars. That was easy - made tons of jam, 40 quarts of tomato sauce, etc. The pressure canner sits in its original box, unopened and unloved. Maybe it was the pics of canned chicken that put me off, or all the warnings of gauges needing to be perfect and having to bring my pressure cooker to some local government office each year to be tested. Or stories of face-melting accidents. Still haven't dared to open it.

So I have dozens of big mason jars taking up space that was supposed to be filled with jars of stew and veggies. I spent most of the winter filling the jars with homemade booze (limoncello, arancello, nocino, vin de noix, various vodka infusions) Now, I think canned veggies would probably taste gross and I'm better off freezing those things. And I'm off veggies, so that's no good. Should i just sell the pressure cooker or is it worth it to make broth quickly? No kids in the house this weekend - it's a great time to conduct potentially face melting experiments!

amyamaretto2783 is offline Junior Member
    Limoncello, mmm. Haha. I'm at work all day today. Like, ALL day. 7am to 11pm. I work 16 hour days on Mondays and Fridays. It's in a group home for the elderly and disabled. Kinda like being home all day...been here long enough, it's that comfortable. Unfortunately old people like sweets a LOT. The house is always stocked with cakes, pie, cookies, toaster tarts, doughnuts...ugh. My favorite things. I don't keep things like that in my house. No willpower lol. Anyhow...good luck today! Talk to ya later.

Grok On! <3

The limoncello gets put down almost as fast as I can strain it. My favorite is the I make with grapefruit zest, which would be ... Pompelocello?

Happy I didn't do cross fit, played an hour of racquetball instead. I always feel awesome after playing, it's the best sport ever. Tomorrow is going to be super busy - farmers market at 8 (can't miss the 1st one of the season!), then haircut for the boys, weight lifting class, followed up by several hours of baseball watching. Both kids have games, from 11:30 am all the way til 4ish? And it's going to be a scorcher tomorrow - supposed to be muggy and 94 degrees. Must remember to get a hat!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad you started a journal. I always like your POV on food, nutrition, etc.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Aw, thanks! I read through yours last night - you are always so entertaining to read. And I think might head out with the camera tomorrow to get pictures of some really neat, abandoned Colonial houses that always make me want to write ghost stories. You have some really cool NOLA pics.

I also have much empathy with the 'I shouldn't drink just cause I'm bored' issue. It's like an instant happy-making valve, even if I'm alone. The thoughts in my head start clamoring for attention and the next thing I know, it's 2am, my brilliance has faded and I'm guaranteed to feel like crap the next day. I've been pretty good lately, trying to go to bed early. And not telling myself that those 2 bottles of red wine will have dual benefits of letting me sleep easier AND giving me a 4lb whoosh the next day cause I'm so dehydrated. If I didn't actually enjoy the red wine buzziness, it would be easier, lol.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Whew, what a day! Got everything done on my list except having my toes painted, which I'll do with a girlfriend tomorrow. That will be followed by a stop for mussels and a glass of wine, so maybe it's good that was delayed. Farmers market at 8am - didn't get too much, but the lamb lady remembered that I wanted bones and I bought all 4 packages she had. I buy all that she has every time, because the market ends in October and starts again in June, so I stockpile for the winter. Also bought a couple dozen eggs, some local roasted coffee and some green onions. Next weekend, I'll get parsley and garlic so I can make chimichurri sauce for my lamb ribs.

Then, I spent several hours out in the sun, watching both of my boys play baseball. So freaking hot! I think, as a New Englander, there are two days per season where we are entirely happy with the weather. Every other day is a reason to bitch. Today was no exception. You get stuck sitting next to the perfect mom, with several children always looking perfect, eating the carefully packed snacks she makes (I gave my kids 5 bucks and let them grab a hot dog from the concession stand).at a loss for any common conversational bridge, we end up with weather. Last weekend, we bitched about how freaking cold it was for the end of May (40 degrees). Today we bitched about how freaking hot it was (96 degrees). It doesn't take long for the perfect mom mask to melt - that's when you find out that she struggles in her own way and I start to resent her perfect snacks a little bit less. You take small victories on days like today.

After several hours of blazing hot baseball watching, I make a salad for a BBQ (lettuce, cheddar cheese cubes, strawberries, grapes, almonds and avocado) and take an unsatisfyingly sweaty nap on the couch. Why does hot weather make me feel so much fatter. It's like any small extra bit of skin is rubbing up against some other sweaty bit of skin. Blech. This is the time of year when I most want to shed every last bit of weight. So I ate a ton of fruit today - heat like this makes me crave fruit. I did do my weight lifting class, so had 2 eggs, followed by pineapple, grapes and strawberries. I'm now kicking back with red wine way too deep for the heat but everything will be ok once I get into my carefully air conditioned bedroom.

Tomorrow is also supposed to be painfully hot, but I'm going to do some walking and maybe find a pool to swim in. If that fails, there is always my pedicure appointment and wine.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast