Small party tonight, so I decided to whip up a batch of brownies for dessert. I opted for this recipe:

http://joyofbaking.com/katharinehepburnbrownies.html

I've baked with it a few times pre-primal and it's always been great. To make it a bit more primal I replaced the flour with almond meal, used 1 or 2 more tablespoons of butter (to counteract any potential dryness from the almond meal), and switched half of the sugar with stevia (so instead of 200g sugar, I used 100g sugar and 33g stevia, although it probably would've been a better idea to do the stevia out in cup form). The chocolate was 72% dark.

I popped it in the oven for 35 minutes and...out came something not particularly brownie-ish. It tastes great (my boyfriend says it has a 'weird sweetness&#39 but definitely resembles a cake more than a brownie. I guess I know what to use if I ever need to bake a chocolate cake - and next time I'll use 100% stevia.

My boyfriend says that the cake-ish-ness likely comes from the lack of gluten. Cake flours contain little gluten, which results in something soft and light and airy, while brownies call for regular flour to add a bit of toughness because of the higher gluten content. Using something with no gluten like almond meal thus makes for a light, fluffy, cake-like texture. Baking science is fascinating...